I've been away from linux for a long time so I've 'come home' and after trying many other distros, I've come back to openSUSE where I left off.

Choosing which repositories to use seems a little more confusing then I remember. I want to install peazip because Ark still just can't do 7-Zip fully. I could get it from kde-apps.org but then I lose the the ability for the software updater to let me know when a new version of peazip comes out. Also, packages in repos fit opensuse better. So I search opensuse.org and there are four repos to choose from, two with ver. 5.4.0 and two with 5.4.1. I want 5.4.1 but there are two repos to choose from, devel:languagesascal and home:enzokiel. Both packages seemed to be maintained by the same person, enzokiel. This is just one example, there are others that are not so 'related' and have more repos. Steam is another example but the 'games' one seemed to be the obvious choice so I'm good there.

Next, the vendor, priority, etc. of repos is a bit confusing. I remember I had a system that worked well for me but that was long ago. I've read info on opensuse.org and other places, but my questions still remain: what is the best way to handle vendors and priorities. For example, the Packman repo contains packages that are in the official repos but usually have enhancements like codecs. The packages in Packman can be newer or older that the official repos but generally, Packman is the way to go. Should I set Packman's priority to be chosen first and/or should I switch vendor to packman? There is also the KDE repos. Should I switch vendors to thoes? I'm sure there will be some packages butting heads. Is that where priority comes into play? Which one should be higher? This whole repo mix was a big reason for me to not consider openSUSE. Other distros, like the *ubuntu's and Mints, have the same sort of thing but usually not as bad. I also have the practices behind Ubuntu like Mir, Unity, etc. Canonical is following Microsoft's footsteps, right down to what Microsoft did to IBM and Apple.

Also, does just having Packman include the Essensial, Multimedia, Extra, and Games repos or should they all be added individually? (https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_p...tories#Packman)

Finally, I am an American in the US and I thought that there use to be Packman mirrors in the US or at least North America. Is that not the case? Which mirror seems better to use in the US? The other day, the main link for Packman was down so I changed it to another German link and it worked, but it was still kinda slow.

Thanks a bunch!