Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Nvidia card working on my Optimus laptop

Hybrid View

Unhappy Can't get Nvidia card working on my Optimus laptop

I would like to just use the Nvidia card on my laptop which has both intel and Nvidia. It has that extra horsepower and its just sitting while intel is taxing the system CPU and memory. I was able to get bumblebee enabled but when I tried to use it to run kwin it was very unstable. I couldn't type into text boxes and eventually everything locked up. That is the one thing I want to run as I don't do much gaming.

I think it would be fairly easy to set up but when I run xrandr --listproviders it only detects one card. I tried the xorg.conf setup NVidia says to use and I couldn't start the x server. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. I've spent hours and hours trying to figure this out.

Default Re: Can't get Nvidia card working on my Optimus laptop

Ok I don't have optimus and would never ever buy hardware that used it.

But helping people here has shown that you need to follow the bumblebee instructions exactly and you must first be absolutely sure that you have removed any NVIDA driver you may have installed since bumblebee needs a special NVIDIA driver for bumblebee and may not work for any arbitrary NVIDIA driver or parts of.

So here are the instruction first remove all NVIDIA packages then follow instructions exactly

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

first use yast2 / repositories to declare these:
    Code:
    # zypper lr -u | egrep -i -e '(Knurpht|Bumblebee)'
     1 | Bumblebee-nVidia-latest-12.3       | Bumblebee-nVidia-12.3-latest           | Yes     | Yes     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/nVidia:/latest/openSUSE_12.3/
    10 | home:Knurpht:dkms-nvidia           | Knurpht:dkms-nvidia                    | No      | No      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Knurpht:/dkms-nvidia-bumblebee/openSUSE_12.3/   
    11 | home:Knurpht:dkms-nvidia-bumblebee | Knurpht:dkms-nvidia-bumblebee          | Yes     | No      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Knurpht:/dkms-nvidia-bumblebee/openSUSE_12.3/   
    13 | home_Bumblebee-Project_Bumblebee   | Bumblebee_Project_12.3                 | Yes     | No      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Bumblebee-Project:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_12.3/
    clean old nvidia traces

Code:
    zypper rm  VirtualGL                         \
               VirtualGL-32bit                   \
               bumblebee                         \
               primus                            \
               primus-32bit                      \
               dkms-bbswitch                     \
               dkms-nvidia-bumblebee             \
               libturbojpeg                      \
               libturbojpeg-32bit                \
               dkms-nvidia                       \
               nvidia-compute                    \
               nvidia-compute-32bit              \
               nvidia-compute-devel              \
               nvidia-compute-devel-32bit        \
               x11-video-nvidia                  \
               x11-video-nvidia-32bit            \
               x11-video-nvidia-devel            \
               x11-video-nvidia-devel-32bit      \
               dkms-acpi_call
    Code:
    zypper in -f -r Bumblebee-nVidia-12.3-latest  dkms-nvidia                     \
                                                  nvidia-compute                  \
                                                  nvidia-compute-32bit            \
                                                  nvidia-compute-devel            \
                                                  nvidia-compute-devel-32bit      \
                                                  x11-video-nvidia                \
                                                  x11-video-nvidia-32bit          \
                                                  x11-video-nvidia-devel          \
                                                  x11-video-nvidia-devel-32bit
    Code:
    zypper in -f -r Knurpht:dkms-nvidia-bumblebee primus                \
                                                  primus-32bit          \
                                                  libturbojpeg          \
                                                  libturbojpeg-32bit
    blacklist the nouveau driver by way of adding (or un-commenting) the line
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau
    in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf

don't forget to define the groups "video" and "bumblebee" - declare yourself a member to them

reboot / good luck

m

I had bumblebee working but I want to just use the NVidia card or use bublebee to run kwin. When I did optirun kwin --replace it was really unstable. I'm giving what you posted a try though. I changed the repos to 13.1. Did you intentionally mean to use an older version?

Quote Originally Posted by agronick View Post
    I had bumblebee working but I want to just use the NVidia card or use bublebee to run kwin. When I did optirun kwin --replace it was really unstable. I'm giving what you posted a try though. I changed the repos to 13.1. Did you intentionally mean to use an older version?
    You could try this http://forums.opensuse.org/content.p...sion-on-NVIDIA
    But keep an eye on temperature most Optimus laptops aren't designed to run the nvidia card constantly, and don't run it on battery.

Well I got optirun working the same as before. It seems to have no trouble hardware accelerating the windows but everything inside the windows has trouble redrawing. I can tell when I click stuff the computer thinks its changed but on the screen everything is locked up. This only works under optirun.

Under primusrun I get the error: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
    Ill try to get the output for optirun.

Quote Originally Posted by agronick View Post
    Well I got optirun working the same as before. It seems to have no trouble hardware accelerating the windows but everything inside the windows has trouble redrawing. I can tell when I click stuff the computer thinks its changed but on the screen everything is locked up. This only works under optirun.

Under primusrun I get the error: Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".
    Ill try to get the output for optirun.
    If you at some point installed the nvidia driver by downloading the installer from the nvidia site it's not enough to just uninstall it you must also reinstall the package xorg-x11-server.

I'll try that. I did install the official driver because the one in the repo was not compiling and I wanted to see if I could get it working with Nvidia's instructions.

I get this error when running bumblebee with kwin that I don't get from running kwin by itself. It was hard to get this because I couldn't see anything I was clicking.

Code:
    rea: screens:  1 desktops:  4
    kwin(16798) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: Done.
    QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
    QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
    kwin(16798) KWin::Client::readUserTimeMapTimestamp: User timestamp, ASN: 4294967295
    kwin(16798) KWin::Client::readUserTimeMapTimestamp: User timestamp, final: 'ID: 37749298 ;WMCLASS: "plasma" : "plasma" ;Caption: "plasma-desktop" ' : 4294967295
    kwin(16798) KWin::Workspace::allowClientActivation: Activation: No client active, allowing
    kwin(16798) KWin::Workspace::updateClientArea: screens:  1 desktops:  4
    kwin(16798) KWin::Workspace::updateClientA
    I forced a reinstall of that package and restarted X. When I try primusrun it still says I have no glx extension.

Quote Originally Posted by hank_se View Post
    If you at some point installed the nvidia driver by downloading the installer from the nvidia site it's not enough to just uninstall it you must also reinstall the package xorg-x11-server.
    And you must also reinstall the package Mesa-libGL1, as this is also overwritten by the nvidia installer.
    But actually the original files should be restored if you uninstall the driver AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And you must also reinstall the package Mesa-libGL1, as this is also overwritten by the nvidia installer.
    But actually the original files should be restored if you uninstall the driver AFAIK.
    Well things might of course have changed, after all it's now some years since I did the mistake myself but for me it was enough to reinstall xorg-x11-server and the uninstall command certainly didn't restore what it had overwritten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast