Thread: AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questions stage

Default AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questions stage

I need to prepare installation image of customized openSUSE distribution. I've decided to use susestudio + AutoYaST.

I need AutoYaST for asking some questions including question about geographical location of computer. The distribution will be installed mostly in non English speaking countries by normal users. So I want to select language (and may be codepage) and keyboard layout (not all geographical places have English names) for asking questions stage. I don't need to ask language and keyboard layout installation time, setting this information at build time satisfies me.

Currently all non ASCII symbols are displayed as "????".

I've found information about Linuxrc (https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc), but placing linuxrc.config file with Language and Keytable parameters to the root (Overlay files) changed nothing.

How can I change language and keyboard layout?

Default Re: AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questionsstage

On 2014-08-08 10:36, irv wrote:
    > (and may be codepage)

You can not change that nowdays. It is always UTF-8.
    If you try you will hit big problems.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Default Re: AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questionsstage

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-08-08 10:36, irv wrote:
    It is always UTF-8.
    As a programmer, system administrator, and user I love UTF-8!

Why then non ASCII symbols are displayed as "???"? They looks fine in vim. autoyast.xml is saved as UTF-8[unix].

On 2014-08-08 19:26, irv wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2658355 Wrote:
    >> On 2014-08-08 10:36, irv wrote:
    >> It is always UTF-8.

> As a programmer, system administrator, and user I love UTF-8!
    >
    > Why then non ASCII symbols are displayed as "???"? They looks fine in
    > vim. autoyast.xml is saved as UTF-8[unix].

I think that the text mode terminal does not support all the symbols.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Default Re: AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questions stage

Also I think that I can do it without AutoYaST. I can write Python script with http://pythondialog.sourceforge.net/. The problem is that all on boot scripts are run in non-interactive mode (I mean that the code is executed but there is no output on console).

Default Re: AutoYaST: Select language and keyboard layout for asking questions stage

Problem is solved.

I found that needed to change ROOT_USES_LANG="ctype" to ROOT_USES_LANG="yes" in /etc/sysconfig/language to get Unicode symbols displayed.

Layout switching worked, but it was set to "Alt+Alt". I've changed it by changing KEYTABLE in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard.