Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Kontact

Hybrid View

Default Problems with Kontact

Hi all,

my problems are concerning different parts of Kontact but maybe they have the same reason, so I describe them together at first, though I know that different problems need different threads.

The language of my Distro is German so maybe my translations are not in accord with the original English denomination always.

1) The "overview" ("Übersicht" -the tab above Email on the left side-) doesn't show all appointments I enter into calendar. Sometimes they show up after entering them into the calendar, but they are disappeared after next booting.Sometimes they reappear at the day of the appointment, though I've chosen a forecast of 14 days.
    2) Local notes (Lokale Notizen) work fine, but Notes (Notizen) - without the addition "local" - are pointing to different locations (Notes, Notes [a second one], Notizen) and I can't find them in my system.
    3) I tried to solve the problems by myself of course (I feel embarrassed not remenbering exactly how and not having documented these tries) but obviously trying to improve things actually made them worse.Now I have got the double
    quantity of email folders and can't delete them by right clicking mouse because the right click menue is greyed out so far regarding the last recent folders. I only could delete the primarily ones, but I want to keep these, because they contain the mails an subfolders I use to organize my mails.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Cheers, mawi
    Kernel: 3.11.10-17-desktop x86_64 (64 bit)
    Desktop: KDE 4.13.3
    Distro: openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle)

Default Re: Problems with Kontact

Quote Originally Posted by mawi View Post
    1) The "overview" ("Übersicht" -the tab above Email on the left side-) doesn't show all appointments I enter into calendar. Sometimes they show up after entering them into the calendar, but they are disappeared after next booting.Sometimes they reappear at the day of the appointment, though I've chosen a forecast of 14 days.
    Try to start Akonadi before Kontact ("akonadictl start"), do they show correctly then?
    Might be a timeout if Akonadi has to be started by Kontact.
    A side-note: you don't need to have Kontact running for getting notifications about events. There's a small app called "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon". It is started automatically by Kontact if it is not running, and should then be started automatically on each login. You should find it in the system tray, click on the arrow to show the hidden icons.
    So try to not leave Kontact open so that it's started at login (I understand this is what you do).

2) Local notes (Lokale Notizen) work fine, but Notes (Notizen) - without the addition "local" - are pointing to different locations (Notes, Notes [a second one], Notizen) and I can't find them in my system.
    Have a look in Systemsettings/"Configure Desktop"->Personal Information->Configure Akonadi Resources.
    You should see all your Notes resources there. Remove the ones you don't need/want.
    If you click on "Edit", you should see in which folder they store notes.

Whether a collection is named "Local" or not doesn't matter. That's just a name.
    In 4.14 you will be able to rename collections inside Knotes, at the moment this is only possible with "akonadiconsole".

You can configure in which collection new notes are stored in Knotes' settings->Collections.

3) I tried to solve the problems by myself of course (I feel embarrassed not remenbering exactly how and not having documented these tries) but obviously trying to improve things actually made them worse.Now I have got the double
    quantity of email folders and can't delete them by right clicking mouse because the right click menue is greyed out so far regarding the last recent folders. I only could delete the primarily ones, but I want to keep these, because they contain the mails an subfolders I use to organize my mails.
    Hm. I don't really get what you mean there.
    Can you post a screenshot?
    What kind of resource is it that is having that problems? A local Maildir? An IMAP resource? A Mixed-Maildir?
    Right-clicking on the top-level folder and choosing "Properties" should tell.

Maybe running "akonadictl fsck" might fix some problem, as that fixes issues in the Akonadi database.

Thanks a lot wolfi323,

Problem # 3) (redundant mail folders) is solved, I found the place where they had been stored and deleted them.

Problem # 2) (redundant notes) is also solved. I followed your advice and deleted the additional notes resources via Systemsettings/"Configure Desktop"->Personal Information->Configure Akonadi Resources. Obviously I had forgotten where I had linked these notes resources.Sorry.

But the main problem # 1) (missing appointments) still exists:

An appointment I had entered for 2014-08-13 into the calendar is shown in the calendar but isn't shown in the overview, though I had set a forecast of 14 days, as I said before. I ran the "akonadictl fsck" you menshioned in the other context and entered two test appointments for 2014-08-12 and 2014-08-11. Both are not shown in the overview but in the calendar. I closed Kontact, stopped akonadictl, started it again and restarted Kontact after that, without avail. Also rebooting didn't help.

mawi

BTW: Would this html-thread also going on if I would answer via nntp (Knode)? I didn't want trying it, beeing afraid of causing confusion. I tried a first question via nntp earlier today, not realizing then, that obviously I have to be a member of this community to get an answer.

But the main problem # 1) (missing appointments) still exists:

An appointment I had entered for 2014-08-13 into the calendar is shown in the calendar but isn't shown in the overview, though I had set a forecast of 14 days, as I said before. I ran the "akonadictl fsck" you menshioned in the other context and entered two test appointments for 2014-08-12 and 2014-08-11. Both are not shown in the overview but in the calendar. I closed Kontact, stopped akonadictl, started it again and restarted Kontact after that, without avail. Also rebooting didn't help.
    Hm, I just tried to create an appointment and a todo for tomorrow, and both showed up fine in the overview, even after I restarted Kontact.
    But that's with KDE 4.11.5, I cannot check with 4.13 before tomorrow evening.

I found those bug reports though which sound similar:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327256
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330420
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=334145

Btw, you can configure the digital clock to show appointments and todos from your Akonadi calendars. Just enable "Show Events" in its settings->Calendar.
    And you can set a reminder for each appointment, which is then shown by the mentioned "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon" even without Kontact running.

BTW: Would this html-thread also going on if I would answer via nntp (Knode)? I didn't want trying it, beeing afraid of causing confusion. I tried a first question via nntp earlier today, not realizing then, that obviously I have to be a member of this community to get an answer.
    Yes. NNTP posts will be copied into the Webforum thread and vice versa. There is a delay though. I think this is synchronized after 10 minutes.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 02-Aug-2014 at 15:33.

wolfi323 wrote:

> ..
    > Hm, I just tried to create an appointment and a todo for tomorrow, and
    > the showed up fine in the overview, even after I restarted Kontact.

ATM no appointment is shown in my overview while all todos are shown there
    at once without any problems.

> But that's with KDE 4.11.5, I cannot check with 4.13 before tomorrow
    > evening.

Thanks again for your efforts, wolfi323

>
    > I found those bug reports though which sound similar:
    > https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327256
    > https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=330420
    > https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=334145

I'll have a look, thank you.

>
    > Btw, you can configure the digital clock to show appointments and todos
    > from your Akonadi calendars. Just enable "Show Events" in its
    > settings->Calendar.
    > And you can set a reminder for each appointment, which is then shown by
    > the mentioned "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon" even without Kontact running.

Yes, I already use this, though the view is a bit crowded if I don't
    mouseover a special day. But I couldn't find out where the reminder for
    this is set.

> ..

> Yes. NNTP posts will be copied into the Webforum thread and vice versa.
    > ...

Thanks, thats nice adjustment.
    --
    Cheers, mawi
    Kernel: 3.11.10-17-desktop x86_64

wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > Btw, you can configure the digital clock to show appointments and todos
    > from your Akonadi calendars. Just enable "Show Events" in its
    > settings->Calendar.
    > And you can set a reminder for each appointment, which is then shown by
    > the mentioned "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon" even without Kontact running.

Yes, I already use this, though the view is a bit crowded if I don't
    mouseover a special day. But I couldn't find out where the reminder for
    this is set.
    Which view do you mean now? The clock applet's calendar?
    You can resize that if you want to, by grabbing it by a corner and dragging it to the desired size.
    But yes, I can imagine that it might get overfull with many events.

The reminder for an event is set in the event edit dialog in KOrganizer, there's an extra tab for that (the 3rd one). You have to click on "Add" or "New" to add a reminder.
    You can even configure there how you would want to be reminded. Options are: "Display text", "Play sound file", "Run application/script", or "Send email".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 02-Aug-2014 at 17:57.

wolfi323 wrote:

>
    > ...
    >
    > The reminder for an event is set in the event edit dialog in KOrganizer,
    > there's an extra tab for that (the 3rd one). You have to click on "Add"
    > or "New" to add a reminder.

My fault, I presumed you meant an extra reminder for the clock applet's
    calendar.

--
    Cheers, mawi

I could reproduce the problem now (on 4.11.5).
    When I add an appointment for 2014-8-13, it isn't shown either in the overview, no matter to what I set the forecast time.
    Apparently that forecast configuration doesn't work, it shows events for the next 7 days, regardless of the settings.

Try setting an appointment for tomorrow or similar, it should be shown then.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 02-Aug-2014 at 18:20.

wolfi323 wrote:

>
    > mawi;2657152 Wrote:
    >> An appointment I had entered for 2014-08-13 into the calendar is shown
    >> in the calendar but isn't shown in the overview, though I had set a
    >> forecast of 14 days, as I said before. I ran the "akonadictl fsck" you
    >> menshioned in the other context and entered two test appointments for
    >> 2014-08-12 and 2014-08-11. Both are not shown in the overview but in
    >> the calendar. I closed Kontact, stopped akonadictl, started it again and
    >> restarted Kontact after that, without avail. Also rebooting didn't help.
    >>

> I could reproduce the problem now (on 4.11.5).
    > When I add an appointment for 2014-8-13, it isn't shown either in the
    > overview, no matter to what I set the forecast time.
    > Apparently that forecast configuration doesn't work, it shows events for
    > the next 7 days, regardless of the settings.
    >
    > Try setting an appointment for tomorrow or similar, it should be shown
    > then.
    >

Yes, you're right, setting an appointment for tommorrow works correct.
    So I'll use a 7-days-forecast until the bug is eliminated.
    Thank you very much for your help.

--
    Cheers, mawi

mawi wrote:

> wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> mawi;2657152 Wrote:
    >>> An appointment I had entered for 2014-08-13 into the calendar is shown
    >>> in the calendar but isn't shown in the overview, though I had set a
    >>> forecast of 14 days, as I said before. I ran the "akonadictl fsck" you
    >>> menshioned in the other context and entered two test appointments for
    >>> 2014-08-12 and 2014-08-11. Both are not shown in the overview but in
    >>> the calendar. I closed Kontact, stopped akonadictl, started it again and
    >>> restarted Kontact after that, without avail. Also rebooting didn't help.
    >>>

>> I could reproduce the problem now (on 4.11.5).
    >> When I add an appointment for 2014-8-13, it isn't shown either in the
    >> overview, no matter to what I set the forecast time.
    >> Apparently that forecast configuration doesn't work, it shows events for
    >> the next 7 days, regardless of the settings.
    >>
    >> Try setting an appointment for tomorrow or similar, it should be shown
    >> then.
    >>

>
    > Yes, you're right, setting an appointment for tommorrow works correct.
    > So I'll use a 7-days-forecast until the bug is eliminated.
    > Thank you very much for your help.

Correction: Here it only works for today, not for tomorrow or the next day.
    The bug reports you showed me, describe the same or a very similar problem.
    But anyway: it seems I'll have to wait for the elimination of the bug.

--
    Cheers, mawi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast