DigiKam does not start after initial configuration

Hi,
i just started DigiKam the first time, so it forced me to do the initial minimal configuration (choosing the picture directory and such things), after that finished nothing happend (i expected DigiKam to start after that).
So i tried to stard it manually, but apart from a little loading icon at the mouse cursor and an indicator in the task bar nothing happens, both the icon and the taskbar indicator disappeared after one minute of unsuccessfull loading.

I never used this application before, so it was the first time i started it.

This is maybe usefull:

• i use openSUSE 13.1 (64 bit) with KDE
  • the picture directory i selected is not local but a successfully mounted NFS share

Yes, it should start after that.

So i tried to stard it manually, but apart from a little loading icon at the mouse cursor and an indicator in the task bar nothing happens, both the icon and the taskbar indicator disappeared after one minute of unsuccessfull loading.

Apparently it crashes on start.

PLease post your repo list:

zypper lr -d

Please run “digikam” in a terminal window (e.g. konsole) and post the output.

You should have a ~/.degikam directory. That will hold the configurations files delete that and start digakam again this time assign a local directory see if that helps.

My repo list:

#  | Alias                                       | Name                                                    | Aktiviert | Aktualisieren | Priorität | Typ    | URI                                                                               | Dienst
---+---------------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+-----------+---------------+-----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
 1 | download.opensuse.org-13.1-non-oss          | Aktualisierungs-Repository (Nicht-Open-Source-Software) | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/                                 |       
 2 | download.opensuse.org-Virtualization        | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualisierung (VirtualBox)    | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_13.1/           |       
 3 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss               | Haupt-Repository (NON-OSS)                              | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/non-oss/                      |       
 4 | download.opensuse.org-oss                   | Haupt-Repository (OSS)                                  | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/                          |       
 5 | download.opensuse.org-update                | Hauptaktualisierungs-Repository                         | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/                                         |       
 6 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse                            | Packman Repository                                      | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_13.1/                          |       
 7 | games:tools                                 | games:tools                                             | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games:/tools/openSUSE_13.1/             |       
 8 | nvidia                                      | nvidia                                                  | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/13.1/                                          |       
 9 | openSUSE-13.1-1.10                          | openSUSE-13.1-1.10                                      | Nein      | Nein          |   99      | yast2  | hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1SanDisk_Cruzer_Fit_4C530102850531116354-part2 |       
10 | openSUSE-13.1_Mono:/Community_(inoffiziell) | openSUSE-13.1 Mono:/Community (inoffiziell)             | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Mono:/Community/openSUSE_13.1/          |       
11 | openSUSE_13.1_Emulatoren                    | openSUSE 13.1 Emulatoren                                | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators/openSUSE_13.1/                |       
12 | openSUSE_13.1_Games_(inoffiziell)           | openSUSE-13.1 Games (inoffiziell)                       | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/openSUSE_13.1/                    |       
13 | repo-debug                                  | openSUSE-13.1-Debug                                     | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/                    |       
14 | repo-debug-update                           | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug                              | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1/                                   |       
15 | repo-debug-update-non-oss                   | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss                      | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1-non-oss/                           |       
16 | repo-source                                 | openSUSE-13.1-Source                                    | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/                   |       

btw: a few moments ago a digikam related popup appeared showing the message: “An error occurred during creation of tables in the database” (this is a translation of the german message). I can click ok then a digikam popup appear but when clicking on it it disappears.
Then 1-2 minutes later the error is back, it seems that i can do that infinitely, but maybe this is because i tried to start digikam a few times.
btw: it is about 4 hours that i tried to start digikam (4 hours later the error appeared).

To stop the infinite popup reapearing i pkilled digikam and started it again, this time it worked. But the console output is:

Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
digikam(8474) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets! 
digikam(8474) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets! 
QPainter::begin: Widget painting can only begin as a result of a paintEvent
QPainter::translate: Painter not active
QPainter::setClipRect: Painter not active
QPainter::setFont: Painter not active
QPainter::fontMetrics: Painter not active
QPainter::setPen: Painter not active
QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active

So all is ok now?
Did you remove the database directory (~/.digikam/) as gogalthorp suggested?
Edit: Actually digikam uses ~/Pictures by default, not ~/.digikam…
And the config is in ~/.kde4/.

But the console output is:

Nothing unusual there. Just a whole lot of debug output from various parts of KDE and other libraries like Qt and libpng.

You might try to run “kdebugdialog” and disable all debug output, but some will still remain.

No i did not deleted the config, i thing digikam was indexing my pictures in those 4 hours maybe, there a a lot of tags.
But it seems to be allright now. thanks.

I am a long term Digikam user on openSuse/KDE, currently have Digikam 4.1.0 up and running well on 13.1 KDE 4.13.3.

As you are new to Digikam, I suggest you review carefully the database setup requirements.
By default, Digikam uses sqlite, but that only supports local drives.

To use remote drives, one needs to set up and use mySQL or similar.

I am a local drive (sqlite ) user.
I am fuzzy on whether Digikam/sqlite considers an NFS drive or remote, but vaguely recall that it is considered remote.
Perhaps that is contributing to your speed issue.
If you start with a very large Picture archive, initial setup will consume a lot of resources.
I has to build several databases, including a reduced size image for each of your pictures.

I thought it was the other way round: MySQL doesn’t like to have its files on network drives, so e.g. Amarok’s or Akonadi’s embedded MySQL won’t work well (or at all) on a home partition mounted via NFS (I’m not sure whether digikam uses embedded MySQL). But you can connect to a MySQL server running on your system or via the network then you shouldn’t have problems.
Sqlite shouldn’t care really, it is not even a fully blown database.

But of course storing/accessing files on a network drive is slower than on your local hard disk.
And as digikam stores the database in the Pictures folder, that really might have been the reason.

My experience of digikam is that default if you have the pics on a network drive it will suggest to put the database there as well in the first startup. It easy to change there and then. Its easy to set change it later via settings->configure->database. It is possibly to have the db (SQLite3) on the network drive. I have tested.

My own experience from to have both the pics and the database on a network drive makes digikam slow. Even as I have the database in local /home and pic on a network drive it takes several hours to create it the first time over Gigabit eth.

The local db’s in /home containing digikam.db and thumbnails-digikam.db both SQLite3 db.

Edit, maybe I have some memory of that strange behavior also happened in some cases to me at first startup of digikam not seems to be running. But it does in the background.

Regards