Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: P2P IP Camera recommendations wrt software and hardware ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: P2P IP Camera recommendations wrt software and hardware ?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    IMHO this has something to do with your firewall (on the router or in your system). On a passive connection, the server tries to contact your client system on a port number that is not realy "known" beforehand. I guess that switching all blocking off wil work.

Maybe this helps (at least in understanding the difference between passive and active): http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
    Thanks. I tried reading that link, but either it went right over my head ... or I simply failed to understand how it could be relevant for the error message I'm getting. Most likely my technical knowledge on this is too weak.

I can nominally FTP internal from within my LAN to external sites with no problem, so its not clear to me why this is different.

... and then there is always the possibility of a bug in the firmware (as suggested on the Foscam forum) and I need to update the firmware, if/when I can find the missing firmware update.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    ... and then there is always the possibility of a bug in the firmware (as suggested on the Foscam forum) and I need to update the firmware, if/when I can find the missing firmware update.
    I now have the firmware updates, although I need to sort the order in which they are installed. I note updated FTP features of one of them:
    Code:

New features:
    1) ...
    2) Support uploading snapshots to FTP server in scheduled time;
    3) Support uploading scheduled recordings onto FTP server (without audio);
    12) Support SD card management on web UI.

I leave on vacation in less than a week (to a different continent) so I may not get around to this update, before I leave.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It might be interesting to undertake a port scan with nmap to see what ports it might be communicating on. Perhaps a wireshark capture (from openSUSE) while it being controlled via a Windows machine on the same network could useful too, although I completely understand that any reverse-engineering would not be a trivial task at all.
    Along the lines of capturing the network information, so to better understand what sort of GNU/Linux possibilities there may be to implement PAN/TILT, I have been surfing, read here of a user, who instead of using 'wireshark' (under MS-windows) used instead an MS-Windows application called "Firebug" . They launched the control page in Firefox under MS-Windows and used Firebug to watch the network traffic. With Firebug running, they clicked through all of the camera controls and recorded the URLs that were attached to each button. From there, they wrote a small Windows Forms application using Visual Studio and C# where they basically recreated the browser functionality in C#.

Possibly something similar could be done under Virtual Box (running MS-Windows) to itercept the camera controls, record the URLs for each button, and then use the same information used to create a GNU/Linux control page in a browser. .... I suspect thou the knowledge required to so such is above my knowledge level. The article is here: http://www.prodigyproductionsllc.com...ontroller-app/

Blog Entries

Further - I note there is a GNU/Linux distribution (LinuxMCE) that provides support for Foscam cameras: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/C...llance_Cameras

I can't tell yet how much of what they have in place can be applied to openSUSE (without lots of effort). They do not have the Foscam FI9831W in their list of supported cameras (they only have the older models: FI8904W, FI8905W, FI8908W, FI8910W, and FI9818W listed ) . Still, it may be interesting to learn their technique.

I took a brief look at ZoneMinder, but Apache would not 'just work' (ie it fails to launch on my openSUSE-13.1 with its default settings) but instead likely requires configuration information that I would need to read up on and learn, and I currently don't have the time for that Apache learning curve (necessary for GNU/Linux ZoneMinder).

I'm off on vacation soon for a couple of weeks and likely will not look at this much until I return.

Blog Entries

More on using GNU/Linux for a PAN/TILT with the FI9831W. On the Foscam Web site, user " TheUberOverLord " has packaged a number of HTML applications for FOSCAM cameras. That user also offers a commercial support package, where one can pay them to help on setup one's generic browser (operating system independant) to work with a Foscam Camera for PAN and TILT.

He also provides free packages for a browser.

One downloads the HTML page from here and save it locally (do NOT click on it to run ... it needs to be edited) :
    http://www.saveontelephonebills.com/...neric21V20.htm

And then one goes in and edits the file:
    • IP Address or DDNS and Port
    • Valid User Id For Camera
    • Valid Password for above

After that is done, one can click on that locally, and one is presented with a page with PAN/ZOOM controls and an image (640 resolution) from their camera that works with the Camera controls (and while coded for the FI9821W, it appears to work with my FI9831W).

The file can then be edited to have a higher resolution. ... etc ...

I have not yet tried to configure that. Once I sort this out, I may blog on this.

Blog Entries

Nice to read of your progress with this Lee. Very interesting approach with the generic browser interface source code and its http camera control commands. I look forward to any blog which you may publish about your experiences with using these cameras in a Linux environment.

Hi there,

I have found this webpage which explains how does the P2P IP camera work. From this article, the IP camera can pass through the firewall to connect each of network devices, without DDNS and port forward. Foscam IP pan/tilt cameras are cheaper, but it doesn't allow adding intrusion sensors to this system. For me, I want to receive email and snapshots, when the door/window is open, and I know some products can achieve this function, eRobot is one of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by josesmith View Post
    I have found this webpage which explains how does the P2P IP camera work. From this article, the IP camera can pass through the firewall to connect each of network devices, without DDNS and port forward. Foscam IP pan/tilt cameras are cheaper, but it doesn't allow adding intrusion sensors to this system. For me, I want to receive email and snapshots, when the door/window is open, and I know some products can achieve this function, eRobot is one of them.
    This is a GNU/Linux forum, so a key criteria for me was to find a camera where I could also find some development work to have that camera work with GNU/Linux. The camera's on the web site you link to, as near as I can determine, will NOT allow functionality with GNU/Linux. They are not appropriate to post about here, and hence I recommend against cameras on the site that you linked to, for any GNU/Linux user, until someone can prove other wise to me.

Wrt the Foscam camera, there are GNU/Linux users and I have succeeded in using the Foscam FI9831W with GNU/Linux to a certain degree. I've paused temporary on trying to obtain full GNU/Linux compatibilty due to a heavy work load at my paid job, plus other activities on the home front, but for GNU/Linux users (who have minimal MS-windows needs), I have no hesitation to recommend the Foscam that I purchased, where one can obtain 80% of the camera's functionality without MS-Windows.

As noted I see 0% camera functionality with GNU/Linux operating system with the P2P IP camera you posted about.

Again - this is a GNU/Linux forum, and if one pushes a device that only works with MS-Windows on this GNU/Linux forum , with no effort to discuss its GNU/Linux functionality, nor to make it functional with GNU/Linux - it will likely be seen as spam - and it has no place on this forum.

On 2014-10-28 07:06, oldcpu wrote:

> As noted I see 0% camera functionality with GNU/Linux operating system
    > with the P2P IP camera you posted about.
    >
    > Again - this is a GNU/Linux forum, and if one pushes a device that only
    > works with MS-Windows on this GNU/Linux forum , with no effort to
    > discuss its GNU/Linux functionality, nor to make it functional with
    > GNU/Linux - it will likely be seen as spam - and it has no place on this
    > forum.

Thanks. I hesitated when I saw his post and waited for yours.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345