Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: P2P IP Camera recommendations wrt software and hardware ?

Default Re: P2P IP Camera recommendations wrt software and hardware ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I took a brief look at AxisM10 series: http://www.axis.com/products/m10_series/

AXIS M1025, M1014, AXIS M1004-W, M1033-W, M1034-W and AXIS M1054 are significantly outside even a big extension to my budget.

If I extend my budget by 50% AXIS M1013 would be at the very upper limit. The AXIS M1013 has a resolution of 800x600 and low light performance of 1.2 lux. I note no audio. I would need to research it some more to see if extended my budget 50% is worth while - given it appears to have less features.

Still GNU/Linux compatibility means a lot to me which causes me to not reject M1013 outright (just yet).
    Uh-ho oldcpu. I don't even try to get near your knowhow in openSUSE and HW. In this case I know who own Axis, I have seen small and large implementations. I don't know if the source code was available. Let me stop there for different reasons.

Auf Wiedersehen
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

josephkk NNTP User

On Sun, 03 Aug 2014 13:34:12 GMT, "Carlos E. R."
    <robin_listas@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>On 2014-08-03 15:06, oldcpu wrote:
    >>
    >> Miuku;2657236 Wrote:
    >>> You should consider the fact that a low resolution, low update speed cam
    >>> like Foscam FI9810W also makes it a lot harder to identify people.
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't consider anything lower than 720p/15fps for any real
    >>> surveillance nowadays.

>>
    >> Indeed that was my view to start with, and still mostly my view.

>
    >Mmm.
    >
    >720*500*15*3 = 16200000 bytes per second
    >
    >Very rough estimate. But it is clear they need high compression in order
    >to send via network. Plain 100 cable would not suffice for uncompressed
    >video.

Spot on. That is why the output stream is mpeg3, mpeg4 or H.264. Perhaps
    with some added compression on top of what those do.
    >
    >That may be the reason they use solutions that require "special"
    >browsers :-?

That is what i suspect. Or possibly some issue with "picking up the
    stream in the middle" not reasonably addressed by the codecs themselves.

?-)

Hmm.. Yes I have a old camera (axis2100(released 1999?)). It consumes ~1260 KiB/s on the lan when streaming to my web browser. I have had a lot of use of it for many years.

Think like to be on travel or live abroad and still can check up on the yard at home, a picture from when I was living in Saudi and my brother was renting my house. As show the quality during dark outside is not the best. During daylight I can read license plates on cars. Anyway its working and I can do a lot with it in built in functions of save/send pictures. Maybe its time to upgrade, -can be any year now .

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

On 2014-08-03 16:26, oldcpu wrote:

> I'm still digging to understand this. I did read that one reason Foscam
    > (and other IP-camera suppliers) have gone to h264 is achieve maximum
    > compression for video/file storage. The Foscam IP-cameras I have been
    > looking at have an SD-slot where one can put up to a 32-GB SD card
    > (recommended class-6 or higher by Foscam). I read one user note that
    > after a day, only a very small number of files were present and he
    > thought he could go for many days. And I read of another user who
    > moaned that after 1-day of use, the 32-GB card was full. Identical
    > IP-cameras (720p). Two completely different assessments. My only
    > conclusion can be that they have their IP-cameras configured
    > differently.

It is possible that compression is not realtime. On several normal
    cameras I have used, after shooting a video, I see the message
    "processing" for some time. On occasion close to a minute.

Speculating, it is possible they first store the video using low
    compression, and after that they reprocess the file to achieve higher
    compression.

Just a wild guess.

Possibly some cameras specify how long a video they can shoot :-?

> wrt special browser, I read it depends on the IP-camera as even with

What a pain... :-(

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Blog Entries

As expected when I started this - the information available is a bit contradictory. I found one GNU/Linux user on Amazon complain that the Foscam FI9821W did not work with GNU/Linux
    I have found other articles noting the Foscam FI9821W , AFTER the camera being setup with Windows (using the browser pluggins) that the camera can then be used with GNU/Linux in a browser (assuming one has ffmpeg or vlc) and thus can be made to mostly work with GNU/Linux and ZoneMinder. The same is not true for the FI9826W (which has optical zoom) where no experience has been posted. I have found no example of one getting the optical zoom of the Foscam working with GNU/Linux.

I also have not read of any success with the Foscam FI9831W (which has 1280x960 resolution) as opposed to the FI9821W (which has 1280x720 resolution). From what I have read, to get the higher resolution in a browser (and possibly ZoneMinder) can require the precise syntax in the command that is sent to the camera, which is not always known (nor specifically documented).

I looked at other Webcams in the 70-to-140 or so Euro price range, and the one's that had some GNU/Linux support typically had no pan nor tilt or they were a lower 640x480 resolution. I found cameras other than Foscam with 720p and pan/tilt in the price range I am looking, but also found no evidence of any of them working with GNU/Linux. So I may end up going down the Foscam path because of the 720p and pan/tilt features that I want, the budget I have planned, together with my requirement of some level of GNU/Linux compatibility.

So currently I am leaning toward the Foscam FI9821W (where I would initially setup the camera with WinXP running under VirtualBox in openSUSE), although I won't rush in to this purchase, as there are a number of posts on both Amazon and the Foscom forum with complaints of quality issues - and I am pondering that.

Blog Entries

I also have not read of any success with the Foscam FI9831W (which has 1280x960 resolution) as opposed to the FI9821W (which has 1280x720 resolution). From what I have read, to get the higher resolution in a browser (and possibly ZoneMinder) can require the precise syntax in the command that is sent to the camera, which is not always known (nor specifically documented).
    I need to correct my post here - as I did find a couple of threads on the Foscam forum that suggest this FI9831W can be made to work with GNU/Linux only AFTER being setup initially by a PC running Windows OS with a browser that has the custom plugin (a plugin that only runs with Windows).

Blog Entries

In addition to using ZoneMinder and a Browser in GNU/Linux to access the images in one's IP-camera, I also found reference to a Java app that a user developed and is posted on Github: https://github.com/paulgfrey/WebCamFinder I assume that should work under GNU/Linux with Java. According to the github page:
    IPCamera Search Utility that find Wansview/Foscam MJPEG cameras on local network (Intranet).

There is a windows search utility that is supplied with Wansview/Foscam MJPEG IP Cameras but I needed something that would work in both Windows and Linux.

To execute as a standalone search utility:
    1. Compile the java files into WebCamFinder.jar
    2. java -cp WebCamFinder.jar com.pf.webcam.WebCamFinder

You can also include it as part of your project:
    1. Include the WebCamFinder.jar in your project class path.
    2. Create a new instance of WebCamFinder().
    3. Use the method findList() to find cameras on your local network. This method returns a List of WebCamBean objects.
    4. An alternative method to allow easier searching by camera ID is findMap(). This method returns a Map of WebCamBean objects with the Camera ID as the key.
    5. You can use the method sendInitRequest(WebCamBean newWebCamBean, String originalIP, String factoryUserName, String factoryPassword) to set the camera's network settings.
    .. but I have not read of any success stories (yet) of users using this java app.

Blog Entries

I need to correct my post here - as I did find a couple of threads on the Foscam forum that suggest this FI9831W can be made to work with GNU/Linux only AFTER being setup initially by a PC running Windows OS with a browser that has the custom plugin (a plugin that only runs with Windows).
    To be complete , here is the link of a user who after his FI9831W ip-camera was setup, was able to see IP-camera output : http://foscam.us/forum/post45037.htm...20Linux#p45037 and his post is entitled " Linux Firefox HTML page for rtsp stream using VLC plugin ".

Blog Entries

To be complete , here is the link of a user who after his FI9831W ip-camera was setup, was able to see IP-camera output : http://foscam.us/forum/post45037.htm...20Linux#p45037 and his post is entitled " Linux Firefox HTML page for rtsp stream using VLC plugin ".
    I ended up purchasing the Foscam FI9831W IP-camera.

I blogged about my experiences here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...-openSUSE-13-1

Note I set it up using WinXP (running in a Virtual session under openSUSE-13.1). I do not have full functionality directly with openSUSE wrt this IP-Camera. I currently can control pan/tilt only with WinXP and Android but not with openSUSE. Also, I currently can only access the files on the SD card (via the network) with WinXP and not with openSUSE.

I can ping the IP-Camera from openSUSE, but ssh access is blocked as is sftp access blocked.

Likely the IP-Camera has been setup to connect with MS-Windows PCs (even thou the IP-Camera has a GNU/Linux OS), and hence sftp type access blocked. Possibly some sort of samba style access from openSUSE would work, but I have not used samba in over 5-years, and I totally forget how it works.

Blog Entries

I ended up purchasing the Foscam FI9831W IP-camera.

I blogged about my experiences here: https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...-openSUSE-13-1

Note I set it up using WinXP (running in a Virtual session under openSUSE-13.1). I do not have full functionality directly with openSUSE wrt this IP-Camera. I currently can control pan/tilt only with WinXP and Android but not with openSUSE. Also, I currently can only access the files on the SD card (via the network) with WinXP and not with openSUSE.

I can ping the IP-Camera from openSUSE, but ssh access is blocked as is sftp access blocked.
    It might be interesting to undertake a port scan with nmap to see what ports it might be communicating on. Perhaps a wireshark capture (from openSUSE) while it being controlled via a Windows machine on the same network could useful too, although I completely understand that any reverse-engineering would not be a trivial task at all.

Likely the IP-Camera has been setup to connect with MS-Windows PCs (even thou the IP-Camera has a GNU/Linux OS), and hence sftp type access blocked. Possibly some sort of samba style access from openSUSE would work, but I have not used samba in over 5-years, and I totally forget how it works.
    If a samba server was in operation, perhaps you might discover its presence with
    Code:
    smbclient -L <camera IP-address>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast