Black screen after installing nvidia driver

Hi there,

I’m new in this forum and it’s the very first time I make a post. I have problems after the installation of the nvidia driver, but first of all some facts about my system and hardware

OpenSuse 13.1, 64 Bit-Version
Nvidia GTX 760

The system is fresh installed and all updates are made. The problem which occured is the following: After installing the nvidia driver (1 click installation/ the hard way) I get a black screen after rebooting the system (on both ways of installation). During the installation there are no hinds of error-messages, so I have no idea what went wrong. The nvidia driver are very important for me, because I want to programm in CUDA and they are necessary for that.

Thanks for your help, already!

Hi,

Which one did you use actually? The 1-click (from https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers ) or did you manually download and install them - just asking because you say both things in your post and it’s not quite clear which method you used.

If you did the manual way, it might fail if you forget to blacklist nouveau and disable KMS.

I tried both ways. First I installed it with the 1-click installation (with the link in your post) - but as described, I got a black screen after rebooting. So I decided to install the system new and tried it several times. But as the problems remaind, I decided to install it the hard way - but with the same result, though I put nouveau on the blacklist and disabling the KMS (I used this link: http://monsterbeee.blogspot.de/2013/12/my-notes-manually-install-proprietary.html)

Take a peek at Gogal’s reply here; https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/499888-BLACK-SCREEN-OPENSUSE-13-1?p=2656009#post2656009

You have to use the Grub2 method as that is default for 13.1. This of course on the system that is giving you the black screen and has the drivers installed already.

Ok, I tried it - but I also get stuck at the same point. I think that’s not the solution - in the link above it’s already recommented to do so in step 4.2.

If some more informations are needed to help me or something else is missing - just write what’s missing :wink:

Right then let’s ask a few things (someone might find insight from these as well):

Does your system have an onboard GPU?
Is it a desktop system or a laptop with a 760(M)?
Do you connect via VGA, DVI or HDMI?

If you boot the system, can you switch to a terminal pressing ctrl+alt+f1? If so, you could look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for hints as to what the issue might be.

Hint; you can boot to text only (init 3) by entering 3 at the end of the grub linux line as suggested in the above editing instruction.

Yes I have ‘on board graphic’ as well on my CPU, becuase I’m using the Intel i7 4790 and it contains ‘Intel HD Graphics 4600’. Do I have to switch off this?

It’s a usual desktop system - so it’s just gtx 760 - no laptop

I’m using currently the dvi output.

Check this out, I remembered there was someone who ran into a similar issue; NVIDIA - ArchWiki

On openSUSE this file is of course /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf and you do it like you did it for nouveau, so;

blacklist i915
blacklist intel_agp

Ok I will try it.

I was able to log in into a text-console. There were some warnings in the log-file

the directory /usr/share/fonts/misc/sgi does not exist
Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers ‘kbd’, ‘mouse’ or ‘vmmouse’ will be disabled
Disabling keyboard
Disabling Mouse0

I think this not reason for my problem. But to be shure I’ve posted it here.

Wow! It works now! Thanks a lot - I just added ‘i915’ and ‘intel_agp’ on blacklist.

Good stuff, now you get to start tuning other stuff like fonts, antialiasing and whatnot. Enjoy :3

After installing OpenSuse 13.2 I’ve faced some new problems while/after installing the Nvidia driver.

• First of all there is no
    /etc/sysconfig/kernel any more. For OpenSuse 13.1 I added NO-KMS-IN-INITRD=“yes” in that file to disable Kernel Mode Settings, but now it does no longer exist. (I guess this is not the problem at all - because I could continue the installation even without it - but I wanted to mention it)

• The real new problem
    is the error message while booting the system. It says Error request power-well from i915*. *Since I’m using the Intel i7 4790, which contains the HD Graphics 4600 I added blacklist i915 to /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf. This error message just appears at the black screen before loading the system and disappears after that.

So my question is: where does this error come from and how do I avoid that? (and maybe: how do I disable the KMS now?)

Turn off the Intel GPU in the BIOS. Assuming this not an optimus based notebook you should be able to.

If you use the NVIDIA driver you do not need to black list or use NO-KMS-IN-INITRD or nomode set. Have not needed that for many version now

I cannot disable the Intel HD Graphics 4600 - if I enter the BIOS there is only the option to control the frequency (at least 400 Mhz - and currently on 1200 Mhz) of the hd graphics, but not the option to disable it.

Well the error is probably just the Intel GPU failing to start.

Is this a note/net/ book?? If so it may well be an Optimus machine.

So do you actually have a problem? (except for that warning)

As mentioned NO_KMS_IN_INITRD is not used/respected any more in 13.2.

You can still disable KMS by adding “nomodeset” to the kernel boot options.
But blacklisting i915 should be enough.

Btw, have you tried to remove the blacklist? Maybe it is not even necessary any more?
This should get rid of the warning.

No it isn’t - it’s just a regular pc. Is there another way to avoid the Intel GPU to start?

I tried to remove *blacklist i915, *but then the old error occurs (freezing while boot-monitor).

So what should I try next?

And the answer to the question ‘So do you actually have a problem? (except for that warning)’: No actually not. But I want to solve the problem and not ignore it :wink:

Don’t know. I can turn the on board GPU off in my BIOS but then I have an AMD based machine. As it happens I don’t have an onboard GPU I made sure I got a CPU without one (getting hard to find) But the option is in the BIOS in case I did.