openSUSE 13.1 Font Antialias

OK, I know, an old issue…
Anyway, I did not find any Myzlocker repo, so, I suppose that all libraries are pre-compiled with the “correct” settings. In my ancient openSUSE 11.1 everything was smooth (not so smooth as in CentOS 6.5 for example, but smooth).
In my 13.1 everything is “ugly”.
My antialiases settings are:

• In the Font Settings menu of Desktop configuration, I use “Enable” and RBG/Slight.
  • I have created a /home/user/.fonts.conf file, but it seems that I need to move it as /home/user/.config/fonts.conf

In both cases, the fonts.conf file is:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
   <const>lcddefault</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
   <const>lcddefault</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

Those where my settings in openSUSE 11.1 and everything was fine. Now, it’s not.
Obsiously, I miss somthing, but I don’t know what it is. Please help me.

You could try Namtrac’s Suxpixel repo, I personally use the files from there:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/namtrac:/subpixel/openSUSE_13.1/

However fonts are one of those things that… people will forever fight over. I personally like the OS X (especially the 10.10’s font) style subpixel hinting but some people tend to prefer the much crispier fonts and the developers seem to be the people who dislike subpixel fonts in the first place (thus no default hinting in KDE) also unfortunately quite a few of them are covered by various patents so…

Disclaimer: I don’t take any responsibility if Namtracs repo blows your system up :stuck_out_tongue:

First of all: thank you for your quick answer.
Now: KDE fonts in some applications are acceptable. But in others (like for example Konsole), are simply UNGLY. Anyway, if KDE has no subpixel hinting enabled, why is it on the Desktop Configurator?
Anyway, I will try and report back.

I didn’t mean you can’t have subpixel enabled, it’s just not so by default.

Also I recall the Freetype library lacking some specific hinting methods by default, Google will prolly tell you more about it, it’s been a while since I looked it all up.

I have installed it. And it’s much better now, although I am not very happy with the way GMail looks (a little bit on the “bold” side). But much more pleasant to my eyes.
I need to search (just because I need to satisfy my curiosity) why openSUSE cannot use the same set of patches Red Hat or Ubuntu.

Not sure if this is still the case but if you use the version of infinality in the numtrac repo you need to roll libfreetype6 back to v2.4. Additionally, you can change the infinality settings by running the configuration script (which is supposed to be in /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh according to the arch wiki and webupd8).

As for why opensuse cannot have infinality type patches by default, I asked the same question here.

Muzlocker for openSUSE 13.1:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/valmar73:/muzlocker-13.1/openSUSE_13.1/

Following these steps makes every fonts look good on my openSUSE 13.1 Gnome install: http://libretechtips.com/tips-opensuse/quickly-configure-subpixel-hinted-smooth-fonts-opensuse-123