Thread: Imagewriter errors out

Default Imagewriter errors out

openSUSE 13.1 64bit KDE

I get this error. Also on my 32bit notebook. Strange, because I could swear they were both working last week. But then I believe I did zypper updates.

Code:
    # imagewriter
    Starting up... 
    "sdb" 
    Not mounted 
    Using udisks2 
    klauncher(3512) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
    Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
    klauncher(3516) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    klauncher(3519) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    startkdeinitlock(3508): couldn't create slave: "Cannot talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server" 
    klauncher(3522) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    klauncher(3525) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    startkdeinitlock(3508): couldn't create slave: "Cannot talk to klauncher: Not connected to D-Bus server" 
    klauncher(3528) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    klauncher(3531) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    klauncher(3534) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
    startkdeinitlock(3508): Couldn't start knotify from knotify4.desktop:  "KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling start_service_by_desktop_path:
    Not connected to D-Bus server
    "
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Imagewriter errors out

Are you launching it as root from a normal users session?
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Are you launching it as root from a normal users session?
    Yes I am, since it tells me...

Code:
    :~> imagewriter
    Starting up... 
    You must run this program as the root user.
    Aborted

Well if you are using imagewriter to make a USB stick installer or any bootable iso I have used the copy command (cp) and it works ok.

The trick is to copy to the device NOT a partition.

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Yes I am, since it tells me...
    Does it also error out the same way if you launch it with kdesu?

It's weird, I tried it in a VM with no issues (with all updates installed) - do you have any weird repositories added?
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Does it also error out the same way if you launch it with kdesu?

It's weird, I tried it in a VM with no issues (with all updates installed) - do you have any weird repositories added?
    Same error using kdesu. The four normal repositories plus packman. The iso in question burned to a CD using k3b and boots normally. By the way if I start imagewriter via the application launcher instead of a console the error message reads...

HTML Code:
    Sorry, I can't write this ISO.  You need to use another program to write it to a DVD.
    Even though it's pointing to the USB /dev/sdb.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well if you are using imagewriter to make a USB stick installer or any bootable iso I have used the copy command (cp) and it works ok.

The trick is to copy to the device NOT a partition.
    When I executed...

Code:
    # cp DATA/TEMP/*.iso /dev/sdb
    ...it completed as expected, but would not boot. When I examined it with fdisk there were no partitions BUT it mounted and there were anticipated files on it. Mount indicated...

Code:
    /dev/sdb on /run/media/ion/CDROM type iso9660  (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)
    At this point I have come to the conclusion that it is a badly constructed iso that can only be burned to a CD and no fault of imagewriter. Since it involves another (non SUSE) distribution I feel it's unfair to continue seeking help from this forum. Thanks for the efforts to assist me.

So is this iso a openSUSE install iso?? I recently used cp to copy the install iso to a USB stick then used that to install 13.1

Other Linux iso may have different needs but it worked a treat with the openSUSE iso