Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    I am running openSUSE 13.1 Gnome which I clean-installed on a brand-new SSD.

    At seemingly random times the machine will "crash" Gnome and drop me off to the login screen. Or at least I have not found a pattern as to when it crashes.. not based on applications running, time or anything else.

    No error message shows up on the brief glimpse of the command in-between the session and the login screen.

    The laptop has 4 GB of Ram and the following information:
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    As far as I can tell, the machine is not overheating.

    I am not sure what, if any, of the log files would be helpful but looking at Xorg.log and I haven't found anything blaring like "ERROR! ERROR! ERROR!" I am going to clear out (copy out) my /var/log directory and then copy the logs before logging in the next time but if there are any logs you want to see what it has, I can post it once I get another crash (which shouldn't be long).

    Through Google search I found a mention of something kinda similar and I followed the advice of turning off the auto-dimming of the screen and locking the screen.

    Now I am not sure if this is related in any way, but this machine is dual boot with Windows 7 and both systems have Minecraft installed. On Windows I get reasonable frames per second (15-30fps) while the openSUSE version starts in the teens and then drops into 3-5 fps.

    So what should I look at or look for?

    Thank you.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,672
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    On Sat 19 Jul 2014 02:06:01 PM CDT, dragonbite wrote:


    I am running openSUSE 13.1 Gnome which I clean-installed on a brand-new
    SSD.

    At seemingly random times the machine will "crash" Gnome and drop me off
    to the login screen. Or at least I have not found a pattern as to when
    it crashes.. not based on applications running, time or anything else.

    No error message shows up on the brief glimpse of the command in-between
    the session and the login screen.

    The laptop has 4 GB of Ram and the following information:
    Code:
    --------------------
    sudo /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory
    Controller Hub (rev 07) 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel
    Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev
    07) 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
    Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) 00:1a.0 USB controller:
    Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #5 (rev 03) 00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I
    (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03) 00:1b.0 Audio device:
    Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
    Port 1 (rev 03) 00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
    Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03) 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel
    Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI
    Controller #2 (rev 03) 00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I
    (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03) 00:1d.3 USB controller:
    Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2
    EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801
    Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M
    LPC Interface Controller (rev 03) 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel
    Corporation 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller [AHCI
    mode] (rev 03) 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)
    SMBus Controller (rev 03) 00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel
    Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03) 02:00.0
    Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
    (PCI-Express) (rev 01) 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek
    Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet
    controller (rev 02) --------------------


    As far as I can tell, the machine is not overheating.

    I am not sure what, if any, of the log files would be helpful but
    looking at Xorg.log and I haven't found anything blaring like "ERROR!
    ERROR! ERROR!" I am going to clear out (copy out) my /var/log
    directory and then copy the logs before logging in the next time but if
    there are any logs you want to see what it has, I can post it once I get
    another crash (which shouldn't be long).

    Through Google search I found a mention of something kinda similar and I
    followed the advice of turning off the auto-dimming of the screen and
    locking the screen.

    Now I am not sure if this is related in any way, but this machine is
    dual boot with Windows 7 and both systems have Minecraft installed. On
    Windows I get reasonable frames per second (15-30fps) while the openSUSE
    version starts in the teens and then drops into 3-5 fps.

    So what should I look at or look for?

    Thank you.


    Hi
    Do you have any shell extensions running? If so disable them all and
    see what happens.


    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-17-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,503
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    At seemingly random times the machine will "crash" Gnome and drop me off to the login screen.
    When that next happens, immediately use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a virtual console. Login there. And then look at files with names that begin ".xsession-error". See if there are any useful error messages in the most recent such file.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    And since this is a system with intel graphics:
    - check that you have the latest version of xf86-video-intel from the update repo installed
    - try to switch to the older (but stable) UXA acceleration:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Switch_x...o-intel_to_UXA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    On 2014-07-19 17:36, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > dragonbite;2654797 Wrote:
    >> At seemingly random times the machine will "crash" Gnome and drop me off
    >> to the login screen.

    >
    > When that next happens, immediately use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a virtual
    > console. Login there. And then look at files with names that begin
    > ".xsession-error". See if there are any useful error messages in the
    > most recent such file.


    And, if you are not used to text mode, you could install 'mc', aka
    "midnight commander", a very powerful text mode file browser, and more.
    About the only thing it does not have is graphics, because beyond that,
    it is more powerful than many graphical file browsers.

    You can, then, navigate to the file of interest, and hit "f3" to view it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    It didn't take too long before it happened again. When it did happen, I copied all of the log files to my /home directory so I have a "snapshot". I am sort-of lucky in that it didn't take long so the log files don't have a lot of the successful session messages to "clutter" it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Do you have any shell extensions running? If so disable them all and
    see what happens.
    I have not installed any extensions. I was trying to see how it was without them.

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    When that next happens, immediately use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a virtual console. Login there. And then look at files with names that begin ".xsession-error". See if there are any useful error messages in the most recent such file.
    I did not see any 'xsession-error' files in the log copies. I also do not see any error or fail indicators in the screens that come up.

    The content of my log copies are
    Code:
    ls -l *
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users   8615 Jul 19 11:11 boot.log
    -rw------- 1 drew users    384 Jul 19 11:11 btmp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users   8835 Jul 19 11:11 firewall
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users    233 Jul 19 11:11 mail
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users    233 Jul 19 11:11 mail.info
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 207887 Jul 19 11:11 messages
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users  25652 Jul 19 11:11 NetworkManager
    -rw-r----- 1 drew users      0 Jul 19 11:11 pk_backend_zypp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users      0 Jul 19 11:11 pm-powersave.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users  14746 Jul 19 11:11 warn
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users    962 Jul 19 11:11 wpa_supplicant.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users   6912 Jul 19 11:11 wtmp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users  21604 Jul 19 11:11 Xorg.0.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users  23290 Jul 19 11:11 Xorg.0.log.old
    
    cups:
    total 4
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 324 Jul 19 11:11 access_log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users   0 Jul 19 11:11 error_log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users   0 Jul 19 11:11 page_log
    
    gdm:
    total 64
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 17311 Jul 19 11:11 :0.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 19815 Jul 19 11:11 :0.log.1
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 22389 Jul 19 11:11 :0.log.2

    I am going to try the UXA change and see if anything improves after I post this.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    On 2014-07-20 03:16, dragonbite wrote:

    > I did not see any 'xsession-error' files in the log copies.


    Not the log dir, but your home dir.


    > The content of my log copies are
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 21604 Jul 19 11:11 Xorg.0.log
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 drew users 23290 Jul 19 11:11 Xorg.0.log.old
    > --------------------


    Those two might be of interest.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,503
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonbite View Post
    I did not see any 'xsession-error' files in the log copies.
    There's a "." before the "x", and it will be in your home directory.

    Here's what I see:
    Code:
    % ls -l .xsession-err*
    -rw------- 1 rickert users      0 Jul 19 06:37 .xsession-errors
    -rw------- 1 rickert users 784570 Jul 19 21:43 .xsession-errors-:0
    -rw------- 1 rickert users      0 Jul 15 06:59 .xsession-errors.old
    So for KDE, the file ".xsession-errors-:0" is the significant one. I'm not sure if other desktops use different error files.

    The standard error output for most graphic commands are appended to that file. So, in case of a problem, the last few lines of that file may have something of interest.

    In my case using KDE, I could use the command:
    Code:
    % tail -20 .xsession-errors-:0
    to see the last few lines of that file.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gnome session crashes, drops me into the login screen

    I found the .xsession-errors files. Neither of them are very large.

    My .xsession-errors read
    Code:
    hostname: Name or service not known
    xauth:  file /home/drew/.serverauth.1168 does not exist
    xauth:  file /home/drew/.Xauthority does not exist
    xauth:  file /home/drew/.Xauthority does not exist
    
    (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    (EE) Cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"
    (EE)
    (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
             at http://wiki.x.org
     for help.
    (EE)
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    xinit failed. /usr/bin/Xorg is not setuid, maybe that's the reason?
    If so either use a display manager (strongly recommended) or adjust /etc/permissions.local
    and my xsession.errors-:0 reads
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xim: Checking whether an input method should be started.
    /etc/X11/xim: use GDM_LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
    sourcing /etc/sysconfig/language to get the value of INPUT_METHOD
    INPUT_METHOD is not set or empty (no user selected input method).
    Trying to start a default input method for the locale en_US.UTF-8 ...
    Checking for a default input method in /etc/X11/xim.d/en/
    sourcing /etc/X11/xim.d/en/40-ibus ...
    /etc/X11/xim.d/en/40-ibus started sucessfully
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •