Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    233

    Default Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

    Can't open "Change sound volume and sound events" since i've moved to MATE 1.8.0. (from 1.6) And there's no sound control in the panel.
    How to do that it will work?



    openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) 64-bit
    Xfce

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,377
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

    I'm not a MATE user, so can only offer general advice....

    1) A thread is describing a similar issue?

    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00213.html

    2) One bug report I've managed to find where 'mate-volume-control' is not working as expected, (but the issue is reported to be with the incorrect primary audio device selected).

    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1045742

    3) This may not be an openSUSE-specfic issue, so you should consider seeking support from the MATE forum

    http://forums.mate-desktop.org/

    http://mate-desktop.org/community/

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    jmartini NNTP User

    Default Re: Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

    On 19/07/14 18:26, andranique wrote:
    >
    > Can't open "Change sound volume and sound events" since i've moved to
    > MATE 1.8.0. (from 1.6) And there's no sound control in the panel.
    > How to do that it will work?


    I installed a clean Mate 1.8 (i.e. no prior Mate 1.6) DE and observed
    the same issue - no Mate Volume Control Applet running (Segmentation
    fault reported when command 'mate-volume-control-applet' is run in
    console mode). And as this was hanging the system a bit, I disabled it
    in 'System-->Preferences-->Startup Application (Preferences)-->Volume
    Control'.

    I have the Pulse Audio Server installed/running and I could get volume
    control via laptop controls or via VLC (or other media) player volume
    control, and also via launching the following programs (after installing
    them):
    gmixer - Simple and Lightweight Audio Mixer
    pavucontrol - PulseAudio Volume Control

    Since none of the above options will provide a neat integrated
    notification tray volume button control, I followed the link provided by
    Deano Ferrari
    (http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00215.html)
    and took the advice given there to install volti (An GTK+ application
    for controlling audio volume). This works well for me and provides a
    tray icon/button for volume control.

    The following info is from Yast Software Management module:
    "Volti is an GTK+ application for controlling audio volume from system
    tray/notification area.
    Features:
    - no pulseaudio, gstreamer, phonon etc. only alsa is needed
    - internal mixer application, but you can choose any mixer app you prefer
    - left click opens volume scale (slider)
    - scroll wheel on tray icon changes volume, increment in percents is
    configurable"


    Cheers

    PS: Thanks to Deano for providing the pointers (links) to this
    reasonable workaround!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I'm not a MATE user, so can only offer general advice....

    1) A thread is describing a similar issue?

    http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00213.html

    2) One bug report I've managed to find where 'mate-volume-control' is not working as expected, (but the issue is reported to be with the incorrect primary audio device selected).

    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1045742

    3) This may not be an openSUSE-specfic issue, so you should consider seeking support from the MATE forum

    http://forums.mate-desktop.org/

    http://mate-desktop.org/community/

    Good luck!

    Thank you, I'll try to do something
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) 64-bit
    Xfce

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    233

    Default Re: Sound control doesn't work in MATE 1.8

    Quote Originally Posted by jmartini View Post
    On 19/07/14 18:26, andranique wrote:
    >
    > Can't open "Change sound volume and sound events" since i've moved to
    > MATE 1.8.0. (from 1.6) And there's no sound control in the panel.
    > How to do that it will work?


    I installed a clean Mate 1.8 (i.e. no prior Mate 1.6) DE and observed
    the same issue - no Mate Volume Control Applet running (Segmentation
    fault reported when command 'mate-volume-control-applet' is run in
    console mode). And as this was hanging the system a bit, I disabled it
    in 'System-->Preferences-->Startup Application (Preferences)-->Volume
    Control'.

    I have the Pulse Audio Server installed/running and I could get volume
    control via laptop controls or via VLC (or other media) player volume
    control, and also via launching the following programs (after installing
    them):
    gmixer - Simple and Lightweight Audio Mixer
    pavucontrol - PulseAudio Volume Control

    Since none of the above options will provide a neat integrated
    notification tray volume button control, I followed the link provided by
    Deano Ferrari
    (http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L.../msg00215.html)
    and took the advice given there to install volti (An GTK+ application
    for controlling audio volume). This works well for me and provides a
    tray icon/button for volume control.

    The following info is from Yast Software Management module:
    "Volti is an GTK+ application for controlling audio volume from system
    tray/notification area.
    Features:
    - no pulseaudio, gstreamer, phonon etc. only alsa is needed
    - internal mixer application, but you can choose any mixer app you prefer
    - left click opens volume scale (slider)
    - scroll wheel on tray icon changes volume, increment in percents is
    configurable"


    Cheers

    PS: Thanks to Deano for providing the pointers (links) to this
    reasonable workaround!

    Thank you. I'm using PulseAudio at Cairo-dock panel. But, that's more convenient for me to use from the top of MATE panel.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) 64-bit
    Xfce

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •