Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE5

Default KDE5

Has anyone tried KDE5 yet?

I installed it on my old P/C today. I have only had a quick look so far but looks (from a visual point of view) like a refined version of KDE4 rather than a dramtic chnage like KDE 3.5 to KDE4 was.

Default Re: KDE5

Hi.

I´m using 13.1. How did you installed it?
    Have you used the KDE SC packages?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    You just need to add the following to your repo list in Yast:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/
    You don't need KDE:Extra for KDE5.

And please note that you cannot install KDE4's Plasma and Plasma5 in parallel.
    If you install plasma-desktop5 you have to uninstall kdebase4-workspace. The same is true for (some) applications that exist in both KDE4 and KDE5 versions, f.e. systemsettings, kate, kwrite, and dolphin.

If you just want to try out "KDE5" (the official name is "Plasma Workspaces 5"), then you can also download a LiveCD:
    http://files.kde.org/snapshots/
    Yes, they are Ubuntu-based... But it should be easy to create similar ones based on openSUSE via SUSE Studio.
    There is one here, but that's not yet the final release version it seems:
    https://susestudio.com/a/VU5ypu/kde-frameworks-5

A word of warning; as it is still fresh and untested, it has some really interesting bugs - especially in a virtualized environment.

f.ex. on my vmware install Plasma crashes if I try to resize/change the resolution and restarting Plasma will make kded chomp 100% of cpu power until I kill it.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Code:
    I had to add this repo to provide qtcurve-qt5

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    Code:
    I had to add this repo to provide qtcurve-qt5
    That's available in KDE:Frameworks5 as well:
    Code:
    # zypper se -s qtcurve-qt5

Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name                  | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository     
    --+-----------------------+---------+-------------+--------+----------------
    i | qtcurve-qt5           | package | 1.8.18-24.1 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5
    v | qtcurve-qt5           | package | 1.8.18-23.1 | x86_64 | KDE:Extra      
    v | qtcurve-qt5           | package | 1.8.18-24.1 | i586   | KDE:Frameworks5
    v | qtcurve-qt5           | package | 1.8.18-23.1 | i586   | KDE:Extra      
      | qtcurve-qt5-debuginfo | package | 1.8.18-24.1 | x86_64 | KDE:Frameworks5
      | qtcurve-qt5-debuginfo | package | 1.8.18-23.1 | x86_64 | KDE:Extra      
      | qtcurve-qt5-debuginfo | package | 1.8.18-24.1 | i586   | KDE:Frameworks5
      | qtcurve-qt5-debuginfo | package | 1.8.18-23.1 | i586   | KDE:Extra

I understand that it might not work 100% but just a question, after adding the repos "zypper dup" is needed right?
    Perhaps i´ll try the liveCD but if i install it will be in my main Laptop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugosyt View Post
    I understand that it might not work 100% but just a question, after adding the repos "zypper dup" is needed right?
    No, zypper dup won't do anything unless you already had KDE5 installed, as the packages are named completely different than their KDE4 counterparts.
    Just installing "plasma-session" should pull in everything needed I think.

But, I am currently creating packages that can be co-installed with KDE4, so if you wait a bit, you can use those and don't have to uninstall KDE4.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, zypper dup won't do anything unless you already had KDE5 installed, as the packages are named completely different than their KDE4 counterparts.
    Just installing "plasma-session" should pull in everything needed I think.

But, I am currently creating packages that can be co-installed with KDE4, so if you wait a bit, you can use those and don't have to uninstall KDE4.
    I understand your point but the question was, adding the repos and then doing zypper dup will install Plasma Workspace 5 or not.

But if you are creating packages that can be co-installed with KDE4, ill wait. (How will i know when they are ready?)

Thanks

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast