Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE5

Default Re: KDE5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    That's the parent folder of the available repos, try to click on the link to see.
    You have to append your openSUSE version, like openSUSE_13.1 f.e.:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../openSUSE_13.1
    Got it.
    Selecting plasma5-session automatically selects the other 3 in the right repo.
    I´m going to install and check how´s everything.

Thanks

Ok so, i managed to do it right an is currently running. To this time it locks like a final release, no annoying bugs or crashes.
    What i noticed was, in the first login, the system when trying to get connection with my router, the window that asked to prompt my password was not recognizing the keyboard.
    I had to "disconnect" and then in the network settings write the password.

Noticed that in the System Settings, a lot of applications are missing, like Yast for ex.

Any other problem ill report.

Anyone else using it?

Thanks once again for your help wolfi323.

Quote Originally Posted by hugosyt View Post
    Ok so, i managed to do it right an is currently running. To this time it locks like a final release, no annoying bugs or crashes.
    I did use it most of the day today, and kwin5 was rock stable.
    I managed to crash Plasma5 once though, when browsing the application menu...

What i noticed was, in the first login, the system when trying to get connection with my router, the window that asked to prompt my password was not recognizing the keyboard.
    I had to "disconnect" and then in the network settings write the password.
    Well, my connection just worked, maybe because I configured my wireless as "system connection".
    But I noticed a similar problem when trying to edit the connection. I was asked for the root password, but after entering it correctly, I just got an error (unable to authorize or similar). But then clicking on Edit again just worked without me having to enter a password.

Noticed that in the System Settings, a lot of applications are missing, like Yast for ex.
    They are not really missing, but the categorization has been completely reworked.
    And some entries of course depend on particular packages installed. F.e. for powermanagement you have to have powerdevil5 installed. Not all of them are available for KF5 yet.
    And YaST of course was an openSUSE-specific addition. Because Plasma 5 is brand new, there are no openSUSE-specific patches or integration yet, not even default configuration changes or an openSUSE theme.

Anyone else using it?
    I first installed it in February I think (from KDE:Unstable:Frameworks, the packages installed to /opt/kf5 back then), because I wanted to take part in the development.
    Since then I run it from time to time to see the progress or test some stuff.

The last weeks I couldn't install the latest versions any more of course, because the packages have been changed to conflict with KDE4. So I basically was stuck with some Beta version. (I didn't and don't want to fully switch to Plasma 5 yet)
    That's actually the main reason why I created those packages in the first place...

Thanks once again for your help wolfi323.
    You're welcome.

I am using a factory (installed from an iso from earlier this month) and it doesn't seem to work for me. KDE5 works fine but it removes the kdebase4 packages before installing - so I've lost KDE4.

Is it suppossed to install a seperate .kde5 folder in home?

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    I am using a factory (installed from an iso from earlier this month) and it doesn't seem to work for me. KDE5 works fine but it removes the kdebase4 packages before installing - so I've lost KDE4.
    Well, the packages failed to build for factory, because I forgot to add KDE:Frameworks5 as Build dependency there.

So you actually installed the packages from KDE:Frameworks5 instead, which conflict with KDE4.

I noticed this a few hours ago and fixed it, but the packages have not finished building yet. They should be ready in a few minutes though.
    So please be patient, and sorry for the inconvinience

To get KDE4 back, you should just have to install kdebase4-session.

Is it suppossed to install a seperate .kde5 folder in home?
    No.
    KDE5 uses ~/.config and ~/.local, which is the freedesktop standard for quite some time.
    ~/.kde4 was just a relict from older times.

Just like GNOME3 uses ~/.config and ~/.local, whereas GNOME2 used ~/.gnome2.

Just updating my experience with it, i noticed that my laptop heats up a lot. Ksysguard shows that kd5 is constantly using 43 to 50% of one core of the CPU (Dual Core). To me its not normal.

My wireless connection is ok now. Had to do the same process twice to establish connection with my router.

One other thing, i have KDE SC and KDE Extras repos for 4.13 disabled. Is it safe to enable them again?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugosyt View Post
    Just updating my experience with it, i noticed that my laptop heats up a lot. Ksysguard shows that kd5 is constantly using 43 to 50% of one core of the CPU (Dual Core). To me its not normal.
    Of course not.
    But what process uses the CPU?
    kd5 doesn't exist.

I guess you mean kded5. In that case try to disable all services in Systemsettings->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services and see if that helps. Then enable them one by one to find out which one is causing it.
    This might be caused by powerdevil, I read bug reports about this even for KDE4.

I noticed something similar during the Betas here, but it seems gone now for me. I never could get powerdevil to work back then, the config module always showed it is unable to start. I suppose that was the problem.

Another culprit (also already reported against KDE4) might be PulseAudio, which I do not even have installed here.

One thing I did notice today was that kwin5 used the XRender backend by default.
    This can of course also explain a higher CPU usage. So check in Systemsettings->Display and Monitor->Compositor that the Rendering backend is set to OpenGL (depends on your graphics card/driver though of course).

One other thing, i have KDE SC and KDE Extras repos for 4.13 disabled. Is it safe to enable them again?
    Of course.
    It was never unsafe.

Or do you want to know whether KDE 4.13 is safe to use?

@dth2:
    The packages for Factory are available in the meantime.
    Just install kdebase4-workspace and YaST should want to switch the plasma5 packages to my versions automatically I think (you would have to allow the vendor change though).

If you get a conflict where you cannot switch to my packages, do so manually by using the "Versions" tab.

Code:
    Well, the packages failed to build for factory, because I forgot to add KDE:Frameworks5 as Build dependency there.

So you actually installed the packages from KDE:Frameworks5 instead, which conflict with KDE4.

I noticed this a few hours ago and fixed it, but the packages have not  finished building yet. They should be ready in a few minutes though.
    Many thanks wolfi323 - I will try again tonight.

This might be caused by powerdevil, I read bug reports about this even for KDE4.

I noticed something similar during the Betas here, but it seems gone now for me. I never could get powerdevil to work back then, the config module always showed it is unable to start. I suppose that was the problem.
    I did experience the same problem today, and now again the config module showed that the Powermanagement Service is not running.
    So apparently that gets stuck during startup.

Disabling the "Powermanagement" service in Systemsettings->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services should fix it then, if your issue is indeed the same.

I'm not sure why I didn't see this yesterday, I have even looked into the config module and everything was fine. Maybe that was because I used KDE4 (including Powerdevil4) before, and didn't reboot, just logout. Today when I had the problem, I immediately logged into Plasma5 right after boot.

I will try to find out whether that's a general problem with powerdevil5, or maybe some installation problem in my packages.

I will try to find out whether that's a general problem with powerdevil5, or maybe some installation problem in my packages.
    Depending when you tried, and which packages where used - powerdevil in principle did not load.
    Main problem was with missing KAuth DBus service configuration file (that made backlighthelper stuck, etc).
    This is valid for 'regular' KF5/Plasma5 packages, so i guess also yours.
    If you experience the same after todays update (the .conf is now whitelisted, thus installed by package), check your powerdevil5 package - it needs polkit actions in /usr (or it should just work with 4.x variant) + DBus service and configuration file (those IIRC can be out of prefix, but with a local 'override' of dirs where DBus looks, and additionally the .conf file from 4.x should do). Other than that, iirc KAuth macros create services dependent on KAuth prefix, so check are the paths inside correct.
    This kind of problems where one of the reasons why we've gone for full install in /usr for 'standard' packages.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast