Thread: Xsane 16bit depth issue

Unhappy Xsane 16bit depth issue

Im using a Epson 4490 scanner Seems to work well with OS 13.1

I like to use vuescan. But will settle for xsane as its free.
    But I notice that when I scan in scan mode of 16-bit it crashes during the preview scan.
    It works 100% if I stay in scan mode 8-bit

My system is OS 13.1 64bit
    On a older gateway FX suited for 64bit.

I don't want to buy vuewscan yet, cause I don't know for sure it may have the same issue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Xsane 16bit depth issue

IIRC, it is possible to trial vuescan, so you should be able to check behaviour before purchasing.

Its not a trial. Though vuescan does not even see my epson scanner, sees my epson printer bit not scanner.
    Anyway. Xsane issue still crashes/closes down on preview or scan when trying 16 bit mode.

Guess I didnt make it that clear on first post. It was Xsane with the bit mode issue not vuescan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ventiman View Post
    Its not a trial. Though vuescan does not even see my epson scanner, sees my epson printer bit not scanner.
    Well, I don't know why you even bothered mentioning it then.

Anyway. Xsane issue still crashes/closes down on preview or scan when trying 16 bit mode.

Guess I didnt make it that clear on first post. It was Xsane with the bit mode issue not vuescan.
    It may be that xsane parses incorrect options under some conditions. Try using one of the other available front-ends eg simple-scan, or skanlite (KDE), and check behaviour with those.

BTW, are you using the proprietary Epson driver or an opensource (epson2/epkowa) driver? Maybe the driver is responsible?

The driver is from epson2/epkowa.

I brought vuescan up It use to work really well when I use to use OSE ver 12.1 or 3... cant remember.
    I had to wipe it and go to win vista a while back, cause I had to use Photoshop and Vegas.

Now I'm back using ose 13.1 I will probably end up duel booting in the future.

I've tried the others.. ISCAN seems nice though there is no bit depth options . xsane just seem to have more features is all