Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Question How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

I am trying out a "TwinView" configuration which was created with the tool "nvidia-settings". The current setting works to some degree on my openSUSE 13.1/Tumbleweed system.

Unfortunately, I stumble on another annoyance when I would like to start a different desktop session. The log-in dialogue is presented by the software "KDM 4.11.10-4.6". But the contained text is displayed in such a small font size so that it is almost unreadable. The font size stays so small also in other desktop environments like "XFCE 4.10.1" and "LXDE 0.5.5" to which I can switch to from the running session "KDE 4.13.2".
    How should this display situation be improved?

Default Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

You should ask tumbleweed questions on the tumbleweed sub-forum

Default AW: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    How should this display situation be improved?
    Apparently the selected DPI value is not correct.
    Normally this is calculated from the screen size and the resolution.

You can tell the driver to take it only from one specific display, or you can set a specific value in xorg.conf (96 x 96 should be a good default).

See also here:
    http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...EADME/dpi.html

Question Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You should ask tumbleweed questions on the tumbleweed sub-forum
    I guess that the involved software versions are similarly affected and independent from the aspect if they were installed from a Tumbleweed repository (or not).

tumbleweed is enough different from the standard that the problems may be different no matter what app.

Question Re: AW: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Apparently the selected DPI value is not correct.
    Normally this is calculated from the screen size and the resolution.
    I would appreciate if appropriate settings could be better determined around the technical detail "Dots Per Inch".

I guess that the involved software versions are similarly affected and independent from the aspect if they were installed from a Tumbleweed repository (or not).
    I would not know, because I do not use Tumbleweed and thus I do not feel qualified answering.
    You Tumbleweed friends are in the Tumbleweed forum, bit your thhread may gounnoticed by them.

gogalthorps's remark is to point you to the place where yoy may get better answers. He is trying to help you.
    Henk van Velden

I would appreciate if appropriate settings could be better determined around the technical detail "Dots Per Inch".
    Well, read the README.
    It explains how the nvidia driver calculates the DPI, and what you can do to influence that.

The driver does what it does, not what you would appreciate maybe.

Question Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The driver does what it does, not what you would appreciate maybe.
    There are more software components involved. The current special display result might also not fit to my expectation because of a challenging combination of technical device properties. I am curious if the support for such a mixture can be improved.

There are more software components involved.
    No, there are not.

The font size in pixels is calculated from the configured font size in points and the DPI value, nothing else.
    So if the DPI value is too large, your fonts will be too big, and if the DPI value is too low, the fonts are too small.

The current special display result might also not fit to my expectation because of a challenging combination of technical device properties. I am curious if the support for such a mixture can be improved.
    Well, the nvidia README file explains it.
    You can tell the driver to only respect one particular display, or you can explicitely set a specific DPI value.

OTOH, I'm not really sure I understand completely what you mean with your sentences.
    What "challenging combination of technical device properties" or "mixture" that "can be improved" are you talking about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast