Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Question Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, there are not.
    • kernel modules
    • display managers
    • X servers
    • corresponding software libraries

The font size in pixels is calculated from the configured font size in points and the DPI value, nothing else.
    I imagine that a few more variables might matter for the appropriate application around the property "dots per inch".

What "challenging combination of technical device properties" or "mixture" that "can be improved" are you talking about?
    My monitors are really different. I do not try to combine identical models for an extended desktop at the moment.

Default Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    • kernel modules
    • display managers
    • X servers
    • corresponding software libraries
    Those are not relevant for your font size.
    Of course, you have configured a font size in points (for the Login Screen and the Desktop environment). The actual font size in pixels (i.e. how large/small the font really is on the screen) is calculated by using the DPI value.
    Period.

I imagine that a few more variables might matter for the appropriate application around the property "dots per inch".
    No.
    The screen has one DPI value.
    This is used to calculate the font size in pixels.

My monitors are really different. I do not try to combine identical models for an extended desktop at the moment.
    Again, that README file should tell you everything that's possible.

If you have one X display spanning over two screens, there is no way to have two different DPI values on each of the screens AFAIK.

Apparently one of your displays (the one that the driver chooses for the SPI calculation) reports a wrong size and that's why your fonts are too small.
    Set a higher DPI manually, or tell the driver to use the other display, and the fonts should be ok.

If you don't want to accept that, well, it's your problem.
    I cannot help you any further.

One quote from the nvidia README though, as you don't seem to want to read it yourself:
    The DPI of an X screen can be poorly defined when multiple display devices are enabled on the X screen: those display devices might have different actual DPIs, yet DPI is advertised from the X server to the X application with X screen granularity. Solutions for this include:
    • Use separate X screens, with one display device on each X screen; see Chapter 15, Configuring Multiple X Screens on One Card for details.
    • The RandR X extension version 1.2 and later reports the physical size of each RandR Output, so applications could possibly choose to render content at different sizes, depending on which portion of the X screen is displayed on which display devices. Client applications can also configure the reported per-RandR Output physical size. See, e.g., the xrandr(1) '--fbmm' command line option.
    • Experiment with different DPI settings to find a DPI that is suitable for all display devices on the X screen.

Last edited by wolfi323; 11-Jul-2014 at 11:45.

Lightbulb Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    If you have one X display spanning over two screens, there is no way to have two different DPI values on each of the screens AFAIK.
    We have have got different expectations for the handling of the "X screen granularity". The RandR X extension (version >= 1.2) might offer another possibility.

If you don't want to accept that, well, it's your problem.
    I can also look a bit more at the consequences from the configuration variant "Multiple X screens on one graphic card".

Default AW: Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    We have have got different expectations for the handling of the "X screen granularity".
    We?
    I don't have any expectations at all regarding this.

And actually this is _not_ about expectations, but about technical possibilities, no?

The RandR X extension (version >= 1.2) might offer another possibility.
    According to the nvidia README, yes.
    So have a look at "man xrandr".

I can also look a bit more at the consequences from the configuration variant "Multiple X screens on one graphic card".
    Yes.
    With two separate X screens it should be possible to have different DPI values.

But as I wrote already, I cannot help you any further, especially as you don't seem to be satisfied with setting one specific DPI value for both monitors.
    I only have (and ever had) single monitor systems.

Default Re: How to correct font size display for a multi-monitor configuration?

On 07/11/2014 12:56 PM, elfring pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > gogalthorp;2653479 Wrote:
    >> You should ask tumbleweed questions on the tumbleweed sub-forum

> I guess that the involved software versions are similarly affected and
    > independent from the aspect if they were installed from a Tumbleweed
    > repository (or not).
    >
    >

You can always ask your question without mentioning tumbleweed if you
    truly believe the problem is NOT tumbleweed related, that way all of the
    people here that fear tumbleweed won't tell you to bugger off to the
    tumbleweed list.