Two different boot menus on the 13.1 installation DVD?

I am trying to install openSUSE 13.1 on a brand new HP Pavilion 500-301nd system.
After my fight with the BIOS to switch off Secure Boot and to get the CD/DVD reader in the forerfont of the boot devices, I am able to boot from the installation DVD.

It first shows the Welcome screen with the welcome message in several languages and then shows the boot menu with about six or seven items and below the menus you can use with several Fn keys. Nothing wrong IMHO. Choosing installation, the Kernel loading ruler is shown (as always) and then the sscreen switches into character mode until it hangs after the line: Found a Linux console terminal …

Now that is not realy surprising me. Graphical card. So I bailed out and started anew. First I tried Rescue mode to look what partitioning the manufacturer did. No problem.

Next boot, I get a complete different sequence of screens. Not the Welcome screen, but directly a boot meny. This time it looks very much like the regular openSUSE 13.1 menu, had only three entries (with Gecko heads before them) and no Fn menus below. Boothing from there also shows same openSUSE 13.1: the overlay with “loading initrd” and not the Kernel loading ruler.

Now, I can use e in that menu and add nomodeset, but I do not understand how booting from a DVD (that can not be modified IMHO) can walk different pathes right from the beginning on a system that only powered off and on between the two boots.

BTW after this experience, I tried the DVD on another system and it works there as expected with the Welcome screen, etc.

Anybody any ideas?

AFAIK the Welcome screen is only shown when EFI is not in use.
This and the F-Key menu is provided by gfxboot which doesn’t support EFI.

With EFI grub2 is used and shows the normal boot menu.

Sounds like a good explanation.
But I am not aware that I changed something there, as soon as I got the BIOS in a state were it booted from the DVD (switch secure boot of and changed boot device sequence) I did not change anything more (out of fear to create a problem).

As I can not prove (either to others or myself) that you explanation does not fit with what I did, I will accept it gladly :wink:

Thanks.

(I will now start a new thread about my next problem with this install >:)).

I have two EFI boxes here.

On one of them (a Dell), if I hit F12 during boot then I get a boot menu that lists the USB (with opensuse installer) twice – once for UEFI boot and once for MBR boot. And I get the two different menus, depending on which I pick.

On the other, a Lenovo, I only have one choice on that F12 menu. Other BIOS settings tell it whether to prefer UEFI or Legacy MBR booting, and those determine which screen I will see on booting the install USB.

Oh, in my opinion, you probably want the UEFI boot for installing.

I do not know. I am only interested in it installing. I Do not care about UEFIor MBR I guess. That is if MBR booting goes with a GPT disk (it is 2TB).

Fact is that missed those Fn menus were I could try several things. Maybe those menus are useless on UEFI and thus removed.

I have another thread now showing that my first boot during the install goes wrong. Maybe I should try to tune everything (BIOS and GRUB installation) to MBR for the fastest results (result meaning: a workable system).

I’m not sure.
But I think GPT should work with MBR booting as well.
Wikipedia says this:

As of 2010, most current operating systems support GPT. Some, including OS X and Microsoft Windows, only support booting from GPT partitions on systems with EFI firmware, but FreeBSD and most Linux distributions can boot from GPT partitions on systems with either legacy BIOS firmware interface or EFI.

OTOH, for a 2 TB disk, old-style partitioning should work as well (2 TB is the maximum). You wouldn’t have to use GPT.

Fact is that missed those Fn menus were I could try several things. Maybe those menus are useless on UEFI and thus removed.

No, they haven’t been removed, and they would definitely not be useless on UEFI.

This was a feature of gfxboot, and grub legacy was patched on openSUSE to use gfxboot as well.

But as I wrote, for (U)EFI booting grub2 is used even on the install disk, and that doesn’t have that feature.

MBR booting can work with GPT. But you would need to first create a BIOS Boot partition. It can usually fit between sectors 34 and 2047 (otherwise unused space). If you are dual-booting with Windows, then that probably uses UEFI, and you would not be able to boot Windows from the grub menu if you use MBR booting for grub.

They would be just as useful. But they are harder to setup with UEFI.

Forgert about all Windows related stuff. I am not interested in it. I onl;y want openSUSE to boot. Rather simple requirement IMHO :wink:

OK, thus for me dumb trying-to-install-end-user, they are gone.

On Wed 09 Jul 2014 02:06:02 PM CDT, nrickert wrote:

hcvv;2653078 Wrote:
> I do not know. I am only interested in it installing. I Do not care
> about UEFIor MBR I guess. That is if MBR booting goes with a GPT disk
> (it is 2TB).
MBR booting can work with GPT. But you would need to first create a
BIOS Boot partition. It can usually fit between sectors 34 and 2047
(otherwise unused space). If you are dual-booting with Windows, then
that probably uses UEFI, and you would not be able to boot Windows from
the grub menu if you use MBR booting for grub.

> Fact is that missed those Fn menus were I could try several things.
> Maybe those menus are useless on UEFI and thus removed.
They would be just as useful. But they are harder to setup with UEFI.

Hi
On my server I use an SD (1GB) card to boot (it’s a grub setup though)
on a HP Pavillion P6624Y with gpt disks. The other option is a small usb
device (512MB), you can also get them to fit on the internal USB
headers (Like the HP NL40?), then can leave big devices as GPT.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-17-desktop
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!