Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do D-Bus difficulties prevent KDE login?

Hybrid View

Question Do D-Bus difficulties prevent KDE login?

I worked with the software "KDE SC 4.12.5" for a while. I dared to apply a few package updates. Unfortunately, I could not log into another KDE desktop session any more suddenly. I guess that this surprise comes from error messages like the following.
    Code:
    …
    klauncher(…) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
    kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    kdmgreet(…)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server"
    …
    It seems that I can not fix such an annoyance by an update to the software "KDE SC 4.13.2" from the Tumbleweed repository so far. I would appreciate your advices.

Default Re: Do D-Bus difficulties prevent KDE login?

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    I worked with the software "KDE SC 4.12.5" for a while. I dared to apply a few package updates. Unfortunately, I could not log into another KDE desktop session any more suddenly. I guess that this surprise comes from error messages like the following.
    Code:
    …
    klauncher(…) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
    kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
    kdmgreet(…)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server"
    …
    Yes, KDE makes heavy use of D-BUS, so difficulties with it could cause all sort of problems.

But those "error" messages you post are normal.
    They come from KDM, I have them in kdm.log as well without having any problems.

It seems that I can not fix such an annoyance by an update to the software "KDE SC 4.13.2" from the Tumbleweed repository so far. I would appreciate your advices.
    Why "from the Tumbleweed repository"? Are you actually using Tumbleweed? Then you are in the wrong sub-forum. Please request the thread to be moved to the Tumbleweed forum (click on the triangle below a post, "Report post").

How exactly did you upgrade to KDE 4.13?
    What is your repo list?
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Can you login to another session? (click at the wrench icon on the login screen to choose one)
    Run "startkde" there and post the output.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-Jul-2014 at 07:49.

Lightbulb Re: Confusion because of switching between primary and secondary monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What is your repo list?
    I discovered in the meantime that these repositories are not really interesting for my use case. I have determined that another technical detail is more important here.

I tried out a secondary monitor for a few days. This display device was detected by the EDID from a HDMI connection even if it was switched off (no power). The graphical log-in dialogue was displayed there after I activated in an appropriate way.
    The log-in dialogue does not appear on the display device which I treated as my primary monitor before. I can restore the display situation I was used too if I unplug the involved HDMI cable (temporarily).

I am sorry that I introduced a bit of confusion for the clarification of the handling with multiple LCD monitors.

Default Re: Do D-Bus difficulties prevent KDE login?

A realy surprising solution of your problem.
    Henk van Velden

Question Re: Surprises from switching between primary and secondary monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    A realy surprising solution of your problem.
    How do you think about to discuss a bit more the safe usage of different LCD monitors in parallel?

Would you like to point out any display manager adjustments so that the usually preferred monitor will also be "the primary device" for log-in dialogue displays (without temporarily unplugging HDMI cables)?
    Will any special settings (like device priority) be needed for a corresponding X server configuration?

Default Re: Surprises from switching between primary and secondary monitors?

How do you think about to discuss a bit more the safe usage of different LCD monitors in parallel?

Would you like to point out any display manager adjustments so that the usually preferred monitor will also be "the primary device" for log-in dialogue displays (without temporarily unplugging HDMI cables)?
    Will any special settings (like device priority) be needed for a corresponding X server configuration?
    Don't ask me. I have no idea. Better ask this in general.
    Henk van Velden

Question Re: Challenges from switching between several monitors?

Better ask this in general.
    Would you like to share any more experiences around configuration software like "KScreen"?

Default Re: Challenges from switching between several monitors?

Would you like to share any more experiences around configuration software like "KScreen"?
    Again, why do you address me in particular? I fail to see why your post has a relation to what you quote from my post.
    Last edited by hcvv; 10-Jul-2014 at 08:59.
    Henk van Velden

Lightbulb Re: Challenges from switching between several monitors?

Again, why do you address me in particular?
    That was not my intention.

I fail to see why your post has a relation to what you quote from my post.
    I hope that more users might become interested to clarify fine-tuning for the parallel use of different monitors (also with various display managers).

Default Re: Challenges from switching between several monitors?

That was not my intention.
    Ok then, but it was my strong impression. You took the trouble to quote my text. Thus I assumed that what followed is a comment, an answer or an addition to what I posted. Isn't that why those quotations are for. Exactly as you use them in your last post?

It is clear to me now. Thanks for the explanation.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast