Thread: Removal of unused primary partitions

Default Removal of unused primary partitions

My openSUSE system (presently 12.3 updated and patched daily) is currently harboured on an Extended/Logical partition (/dev/sda4) containing three linux partitions (/dev/sda5-7). I have three Primary partitions (/dev/sda1-3) (reduced to almost nothing) that I would like to simply delete. This is not an efi system (good ol' traditional partitioning scheme. LOL). What I am inquiring about, is, will the Extended/Logical partition keep it's designation as /dev/sda4 after I delete the three primary partitions? All this is to prepare for my upgrade to 13.1. Will there be any heads-up for the logical partitions /dev/sda5-7?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

Default Re: Removal of unused primary partitions

Yes, Linux reserves first four partition numbers for primary and logical partitions always start with 5, even if some primary ones do not exist.

Please read this about MS-DOS partitioninng: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ABasics_...,_mount_points

As you only give us a story, but no facts (where is
    Code:
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    ?) I can only make remarks on what you have said.

sda4 seems to be the Extended partition, not a Logical partition (it can not be both at the same time).

sda 5, sda6 and sda7 seem to be Logical partitions.

I do not quite understand what your understanding is about "Removal of primary partitions". You can of course remove the administration of them from your partition table. But, depending on where all the partitions are on the disk (we do not know because of the missing information), you then have gaps of unused space on the disk. I have no idea what you want to to with that.
    Henk van Velden

Thank-you arvidjaar. You understood exactly what I needed to know. The facts were quite clear.

This post can now be closed/locked (I haven't found how to do this (I've just spent an hour trying to find that information)). Thanks to those who answered.

Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    This post can now be closed/locked (I haven't found how to do this (I've just spent an hour trying to find that information)). Thanks to those who answered.
    Your report in post #4 that you are satisfied is enough.
    Henk van Velden