Thread: What's the better configuration in " fortification and security center" ?

Question What's the better configuration in " fortification and security center" ?

Hello.

I'm new in linux and choose OpenSUSE for begin.

After to download and install, i try out my new SO and i want to configure the security in the system. Yes, i know that a lot people say "linux is totally secure, you don't need nothing..." and yes i believe in it, but i want to learn at use the tools that linux give for it.

Could you help me in this? I want to configure each option possible, sure, if your help me.

Very Thanks,

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's the better configuration in " fortification and security center" ?

Nobody says that linux is totally secure. Nothing is totally secure.

When you install opensuse, the default install will include a firewall and will include AppArmor (which restricts some processes).

The best way to learn is to start by learning what is already there.

My best advice -- avoid login as root as far as possible. In particular, do not login to a graphic desktop as root. If you occasionally need to be root for adminstrative purposes, best to do that at the command line. And keep that to a minimum.

The real secret to unix/linux security, is that people normally login only with limited privileges. If Windows users did that, the would have many less problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: What's the better configuration in " fortification and security center" ?

Same as above. For loging in as root, some more info: http://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3ALogin_as_root

As said, start using it. There is YaST > Security and users > Secirity center and hardening.where you can set several things. But remind, this is always a trade off between security and workability. And thus also very personal in what you need. Swtiching things can produce an unwotkable situation for you where another one has no problems.

A few rules:
    • Run Yast > Software > Online update regular (I do it once a week) to patch your openSUSE system with scurity and recommended patches (there are other ways to do this e.g. the Applet).
    • Be carefull with other repos, there are a lot that I would trust as much as the official OSS and non-OSS ones (like Packman), but the more you walk away from the "official" openSUSE release,the more chance you get some problem (need not be a security problem though).
    • Be as carefull, as everybody should be whatever OS is used, in visiting Internet sites. But yes, malafide web-sites will only be able to do something in Liinux to a user's data, not to the system.
    Henk van Velden