Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

  1. #1

    Default Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    What can be done ?
    The download starts fine but it loses speed.

    I'm asking my friends to help me download the ISO :s

    TY for your attention. BD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Hi
    Find a mirror close to your location from the following URL and use that.
    http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/13.1.html
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Hi
    Sorry, thought you were after the openSUSE dvd. So it's an image you created on SUSE Studio? How big is the file?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Sorry, thought you were after the openSUSE dvd. So it's an image you created on SUSE Studio? How big is the file?
    2 GB I really need a ISO with everything :/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,520
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Quote Originally Posted by binarydepth View Post
    2 GB I really need a ISO with everything :/
    Hi
    Try wget rather than a browser eg;
    Code:
    wget -c https://susestudio.com/download/<lots_of_numbers_and_characters>/<your_image>
    Else I guess their site is just running slow...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Try wget rather than a browser eg;
    Code:
    wget -c https://susestudio.com/download/<lots_of_numbers_and_characters>/<your_image>
    Else I guess their site is just running slow...
    Facepalm... Thanks hahhahaa

  7. #7

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    Code:
    wget -r 1000 -T 300 https://susestudio.com/download/...
    I suppose this results in 1000 tries with a 5 min interval, if it fails more tha that then it's impossible.

  8. #8
    Jim Henderson NNTP User

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:26:02 +0000, binarydepth wrote:

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > wget -r 1000 -T 300 https://susestudio.com/download/...
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > I suppose this results in 1000 tries with a 5 min interval, if it fails
    > more tha that then it's impossible.


    FWIW, downloads here are not too bad; when I'm having trouble with a
    larger download, I try using aria2 instead and do a parallel download
    (aria2 does a good job of segmenting a larger download and retrieving it
    in multiple parts, assembling it into the original as it goes -
    regardless of protocol, generally).

    You might give that a try. Something like:

    aria2c --max-connection-per-server=4 --min-split-size=1M [url]

    That should cause it to do 4 simultaneous downloads, and download the
    file in 1 MB chunks.

    There are other options that may help as well, and it can also be used to
    restart an aborted download (see '-c' in the help for details) so you
    don't have to start over every time the download fails.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
    Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

  9. #9

    Default Rock on Aria!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Henderson View Post
    On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:26:02 +0000, binarydepth wrote:

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > wget -r 1000 -T 300 https://susestudio.com/download/...
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > I suppose this results in 1000 tries with a 5 min interval, if it fails
    > more tha that then it's impossible.


    FWIW, downloads here are not too bad; when I'm having trouble with a
    larger download, I try using aria2 instead and do a parallel download
    (aria2 does a good job of segmenting a larger download and retrieving it
    in multiple parts, assembling it into the original as it goes -
    regardless of protocol, generally).

    You might give that a try. Something like:

    aria2c --max-connection-per-server=4 --min-split-size=1M [url]

    That should cause it to do 4 simultaneous downloads, and download the
    file in 1 MB chunks.

    There are other options that may help as well, and it can also be used to
    restart an aborted download (see '-c' in the help for details) so you
    don't have to start over every time the download fails.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
    Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner
    I changed command to :
    Code:
    wget -c -T 150 --tries=1000 <URL>
    That's great program. It's the way to go when downloading large files.

    Thanks!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Slow Donwloads. 6 Mbit. Should take 2 hours

    It's doe now. Didn't take note of the "try" number , sorry if you are curious. Will be testing tomorrow at most.
    BD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •