Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE - The Way Forward

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE - The Way Forward

I've actually been a fan of the green/white or green/lt. grey. They seem clean and professional but then again, maybe SUSE should use the light version while openSUSE uses the dark version?

(Then again, I am also a fan of Ubuntu's old multi-color logo (not so much the 2-tone "professional" one they use now) and their brown/orange colors were not too bad and I think made them stand out. The purple does too, but not as much "fun".)
    Last edited by dragonbite; 23-Jul-2014 at 05:21. Reason: disclaimer
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Interesting 1:

Tested KDE 5 on a WM, and they seems to have revert to the old "logo" compared with what alanbortu published here before.

Interesting 2.
    It took about 1/2 minute before I realize that the page on plasma 5 in my browser was written in Swedish. No auto translated. Make my day.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    Interesting 1:

Tested KDE 5 on a WM, and they seems to have revert to the old "logo" compared with what alanbortu published here before.

Shame, I thought the "new" ones looked better.
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    In my eyes a nice tread. At least for everybody that are interested in the future of how openSUSE looks.
    The installer still asks too many **** questions.

For it to be "straightforward" enough for people, it needs to be more like the Ubuntu installer - it needs a Beginner button "Hi, wanna install? Yeah! LET'S DO IT" and then an advanced button that actually allows you to tweak things.
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    Shame, I thought the "new" ones looked better.
    Here it is time for.. I put my foot in my mouth. I totally agree upon that the "new" looks better. I hope that the openSUSE 13.2 are brave enough to take the step. Mea Culpa.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    The installer still asks too many **** questions.

For it to be "straightforward" enough for people, it needs to be more like the Ubuntu installer - it needs a Beginner button "Hi, wanna install? Yeah! LET'S DO IT" and then an advanced button that actually allows you to tweak things.
    So, -what will the "technical gurus" in the forum to receive upon less info than today think?

Devils advocate .

Regards

On 2014-08-04 20:16, jonte1 wrote:
    >
    > Miuku;2657513 Wrote:
    >> The installer still asks too many **** questions.
    >>
    >> For it to be "straightforward" enough for people, it needs to be more
    >> like the Ubuntu installer - it needs a Beginner button "Hi, wanna
    >> install? Yeah! LET'S DO IT" and then an advanced button that actually
    >> allows you to tweak things.

>
    > So, -what will the "technical gurus" in the forum to receive upon less
    > info than today think?
    >
    > Devils advocate .

I hate software taking decisions for me. I want MORE questions.

For instance:

Is this a laptop or a desktop or a virtual machine? (it often guesses wrong)

Is it intended for home or office?

Server usage?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

I see your point Robin and that's why I suggested that it should have an Advanced button that gives you the chance to modify ALL THE THINGS! \o/

But it should also have a complete dummy mode that doesn't ask you more than the very basics like Region, Keyboard layout and that's about it - maybe present with a few partitioning choices. Other than that it should just "Do it" - take Win8 installer as a great example, it's "Hi, where are you from?" and that's about it.
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

I see your point Robin and that's why I suggested that it should have an Advanced button that gives you the chance to modify ALL THE THINGS! \o/

But it should also have a complete dummy mode that doesn't ask you more than the very basics like Region, Keyboard layout and that's about it - maybe present with a few partitioning choices. Other than that it should just "Do it" - take Win8 installer as a great example, it's "Hi, where are you from?" and that's about it.
    Interesting. I have for many years peddle between orders, developers and users. I don't have a clear answer yet but a path forward.

regards

Blog Entries

For it to be "straightforward" enough for people, it needs to be more like the Ubuntu installer - it needs a Beginner button "Hi, wanna install? Yeah! LET'S DO IT"
    That's what I don't like about ubuntu.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast