Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE - The Way Forward

Default Re: openSUSE - The Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by holden87 View Post
    I have to agree with jonte1. I'm liking the new color scheme. It's been also shown on the mailing list, if i'm not mistaking?
    The theme you currently see in factory was originally written for SUSE Linux Enterprise - I/we/people involved accepted it into Factory at the moment primarily for 2 (interrelated) reasons

1. it made openQA's life a lot easier testing both Factory (for openSUSE) and SLE (for SUSE) - openSUSE's openQA could benefit to the improvements made to YaST testing that were being added because of SLE

2. YaST's installer has received a huge amount of changes (No more second stage, totally different workflow, etc), and adopting the SLE-style theme (for now) worked better than trying to crowbar the openSUSE 13.1 style onto the new style YaST

For openSUSE 13.2, I and others intend to retheme the YaST installer to give openSUSE a unique (from SLE) but still fresh look and feel. Whether or not this will be 'inspired' by SLE's dark theme is undecided - I personally suspect it will be more 'inspired by' the Design guidelines presented by Kenneth and Zvesdana, which I think is a nice direction for openSUSE to go in.

Whether or not this is part of a unified effort to also retheme our various desktops KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment, etc is a more open question. Guidelines like the ones that triggered this discussion are probably a good place to start - all of our various desktops have different technical requirements, so getting them all to look 'alike' is probably a bad idea and impossible..but 'feeling' related is a nice goal to have which I think we can achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrownSUSE View Post
    The theme you currently see in factory was originally written for SUSE Linux Enterprise - I/we/people involved accepted it into Factory at the moment primarily for 2 (interrelated) reasons
    - - - - - - - -

...For openSUSE 13.2, I and others intend to retheme the YaST installer to give openSUSE a unique (from SLE) but still fresh look and feel. Whether or not this will be 'inspired' by SLE's dark theme is undecided - I personally suspect it will be more 'inspired by' the Design guidelines presented by Kenneth and Zvesdana, which I think is a nice direction for openSUSE to go in.

I knew there have to be a reason for that YaST installer theme in Factory. Thanks for the answer.

I'm not sure about the talk of re-brand openSUSE from SUSE. Make it "unique" from SLE. Isen't it a better idea to make the two brands to help etch other forward?

To make them to different will remove that bond.
    But what do i know, -I'm just a little ant in the big forest .

Ps. I like dark themes, Good that it is easy to change theme in KDE De. Ds.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by RBrownSUSE View Post

For openSUSE 13.2, I and others intend to retheme the YaST installer to give openSUSE a unique (from SLE) but still fresh look and feel. Whether or not this will be 'inspired' by SLE's dark theme is undecided - I personally suspect it will be more 'inspired by' the Design guidelines presented by Kenneth and Zvesdana, which I think is a nice direction for openSUSE to go in.

Whether or not this is part of a unified effort to also retheme our various desktops KDE, GNOME, Enlightenment, etc is a more open question. Guidelines like the ones that triggered this discussion are probably a good place to start - all of our various desktops have different technical requirements, so getting them all to look 'alike' is probably a bad idea and impossible..but 'feeling' related is a nice goal to have which I think we can achieve.
    Great. I don't know why, but aside all the goodness openSUSE has to offer, I think that a more unified artwork (as you say: similar, not same) and look that's not schizophrenic and is visually polished is the last and final addition openSUSE could offer. And considering all proposals here and on the mailing list, I think openSUSE could be going big with the next release(s). Myself, I can't wait for november, tbh

Quote Originally Posted by holden87 View Post
    And considering all proposals here and on the mailing list, I think openSUSE could be going big with the next release(s). Myself, I can't wait for november, tbh
    Agreed, openSUSE seems to be heading in a good direction and I have really been trying to get some of my friends who are curious about Linux/other distros to use it. A new theme (which looks really nice) will be a great way to make a good first impression.

I have been using the color scheme I posted earlier in the thread with KDE 4 and it looks great, but hopefully by the time KDE5 is a DE option for openSUSE downloads it will look even better, partly due to the fact that KDE5 just looks better in general. I have really been impressed with some of the things I have seen and I am going to try to get involved in whatever way I can (no real art talent in me so probably just voice opinions/vote here and there).

And speaking of KDE5 I dont think it is any secret that when people think of KDE distros openSUSE is one of the top 3 in their list which means that when KDE5 comes out it might be a good opportunity to get people into openSUSE even if all they want to do is try out KDE5.
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Just a little update on some of the materials from the presentation that I saw posted on the mailing list.
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00074.html

Hi all,

We've started to translate the CMYK colours from the print stuff we did
    into RGB. Please note that this is a work in progress so any suggestions
    or examples of problems in usage are more than welcome.

The file can be found here...it is an SVG file with four sets of boxes.
    The outer left and right boxes are the original CMYK colours (note that
    they look a bit dirty). The inner colours are our first attempts at
    translating the CMYK into RGB.

http://paste.opensuse.org/42467162

If there are any questions or suggestions for improvement please share
    them with the list. Again, I'd like to mention that these colours are
    not in any way official, they are just the colours from the last set of
    printed marketing materials.

--
    Kenneth Wimer

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
    Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
    Plasma 5.4

And in great news, Richard has posted the marketing materials that I was looking for at the start of the thread, yay!

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00097.html
    As you saw at oSC14 on the Videos and such Zvezdana and Kenneth put
    together new Marketing Materials which we're using in the booth boxes
    we're sending around the world

I've uploaded the PDF's and SVG Sources for those materials temporarily to here:
    https://github.com/sysrich/opensuse-newbrandguidelines

Please read the README.md which explains what is in each folder

They actually gave me these a few weeks ago, but I wanted to upload
    them elsewhere, like I said above, this is a 'temporary' home for
    these while we come up with a more sensible permanent solution
    Plasma 5.4

Thanks for posting those and getting them on GitHub.

I'll comment just because I can, not because my opinion is valid whatsoever.

I'd love to see openSUSE and SUSE become closer in some ways (as far as branding goes) so that both can be strengthened mutually. A big thing would be moving to a single mark so as to not be confused between openSUSE and SUSE. They are obviously linked, so I think you either get closer together as far as marks and marketing or get farther apart much like the Red Hat/Fedora division.

Eh, take it or leave it.

Sorry for necroing this thread but there were some new updates to the yast installer on the mailing list!

See: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00052.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Wimer
    Hi all,

I have begun work on a new installer theme. It is based on the code we are using in SLES 12.

I tried to make a light coloured theme which fits well with some of the new colours. I've attached a screenshot for those who don't know how to test it.

https://github.com/kwwii/branding/tree/13.2/yast/

Note that this is a work in progress - that means it is not done yet :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Wimer
    Hi all,

If anyone is interested I have posted some newer screenshots of the
    installer work I started.

http://paste.opensuse.org/79645134
    http://paste.opensuse.org/92039260
    http://paste.opensuse.org/7360308
    http://paste.opensuse.org/16332554

This time I used an openSUSE snapshot :-)
    Plasma 5.4

It is looking good. I'm coming around to the new colors the more I see them in action.

In my eyes a nice tread. At least for everybody that are interested in the future of how openSUSE looks.

Tested factory snapshot 20140721 today and as a comparison of above with some experimenting of the new colors and new installer I post a similar screen shot. I still go for the dark way of theme. But what do I know.. Joking, the more trying, suggestions and comments the final product will be a success.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast