Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE - The Way Forward

Default Re: openSUSE - The Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by RBrownCCB View Post
    My personal opinion (and as we've established, I'm also SUSE employee) is that I disagree with the idea that openSUSE should be totally rebranded (ie. Changing the name of the project, the logo, etc)
    Without any major change to the openSUSE project or its products, re-branding would run the high risk of alienating current consumers and contributors. I can think of at least two classic examples in commercial marketplaces, one positive outcome and a negative one: In the UK, British Telecom successfully re-branded following industry de-regulation and privatization, whereas British Airways for no obvious reason famously failed to refresh its branding on aeroplanes and no-one understood the new international pictures painted on the plane's tail fin, resulting in a costly reversal.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Without any major change to the openSUSE project or its products, re-branding would run the high risk of alienating current consumers and contributors.
    I've been a loyal openSUSE user for the past 6 years, and while the color palette and fonts look fine to me, I would not be at all happy with that cousin-to-Homer-Simpson lizard or renaming the distro "Geeko." To me both suggest a distro aimed at the dumbest people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
    I've been a loyal openSUSE user for the past 6 years, and while the color palette and fonts look fine to me, I would not be at all happy with that cousin-to-Homer-Simpson lizard or renaming the distro "Geeko." To me both suggest a distro aimed at the dumbest people on the planet.
    Not sure if you have but check out the ML archive related to the material from this thread. For those of you just entering the thread please read it before posting, I think it clears up some questions you may have (and hopefully gives you more questions to ask).

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00054.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Zvezdana Marjanovic
    This is correct. This chameleon was never meant to be a logo. There were questions during the conference in Dubrovnik to create logo from it, which we refused from the very start.
    This chameleon is one out of four posters we created and it is the only one that has that "funny" side. That chameleon is just a fragment of the whole concept that we made.
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/2014-06/msg00052.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Wimer
    I'd like to take a minute to explain what I did and didn't say in our presentation. I think that Nenad asks a few questions that are at the backs of peoples minds so it is good to clear this up here.

I work for SUSE. As a design team within SUSE there are often ways to help out with openSUSE. Like the wallpapers that Zvedana posted - we made them and then submitted them to the list like any other contributor. The only time we have not worked as any other community member was when there was time-pressure and it dealt with a lot of money, logistics and dealing with printing companies, comparing prices, etc. ad nauseum. It is natural in such a situation that SUSE and the board agree to allow the team (they pay to do exactly this for SUSE) to step up and help openSUSE.

What I mentioned about branding and such can be boiled down to this:

In my opinion the brand is currently weak and something needs to be done.
    Note the "In my opinion"...it is just my opinion and I am in no way paid to deal with any of this :-) I am just reflecting upon the process we encountered trying to get marketing materials printed. The weak brand really made it hard for us to do our job :-(

Whether at some time in the future openSUSE decides to rebrand itself is a question that I cannot answer. I can give you my opinion that the brand needs to be strengthened and I can give you my opinion on how that should happen but in the end it is only my opinion.

I think it says a lot that this topic is so interesting to everyone. Maybe it would be time to actually discuss the matter in an orderly way, starting at the big question: does it even need to be done. Again, this is just my opinion :-)
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
    Exactly my first reaction, but the lizard was there just as a talking point (hopefully). The eyes and the teeth are memorable but for the wrong reasons, and little else was, after seeing those. In any case, I think Geeko does need a more serious look in the sense of "it means business".
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    The eyes and the teeth are memorable but for the wrong reasons, and little else was, after seeing those
    Heh agreed very much. Somewhat related, KDE has really changed the way it looks and it seems the mascot did too. I have to be honest I actually really like these guys, they look fun especially when compared to the old mascot (found it on the internet, not sure how official it is http://krita.org/item/133-krita-konq...inner-is-found).

Plasma 5.4

The thing is, everything went a little off course.

I never meant anything to be about specifically proposed marketing material in the lecture. It was only about those statements from Kenneth, which have been cleared out by Kenneth himself, Zvezdana and Richard. (Thanks again for your response).

I'm just adding a disclaimer because i don't want to come out as a troll or flamer if this thread gets derailed.

P.S.: Maybe mods could rename it 'Artwork Guidelines Suggestions' maybe?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by holden87 View Post
    The thing is, everything went a little off course.

I never meant anything to be about specifically proposed marketing material in the lecture. It was only about those statements from Kenneth, which have been cleared out by Kenneth himself, Zvezdana and Richard. (Thanks again for your response).

I'm just adding a disclaimer because i don't want to come out as a troll or flamer if this thread gets derailed.

P.S.: Maybe mods could rename it 'Artwork Guidelines Suggestions' maybe?

Regards.
    Well I named the thread after the presentation that they gave but I had no intention of turning it into a discussion about what the future of the brand should be (although I think it is good that there was some discussion and questions about it). And I don't think anyone thought you were trolling/flaming, your concerns were very legitimate and because you asked Ken, Zvezdana and Richard were able to clear it up for us.
    Plasma 5.4

Not to try to add on or prolong any flame (witch I think it haven't been in this post). I tested today to install a factory snapshot (openSUSE-Factory-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20140620-Media.iso).

With the risk to have people yelling at me as usual I found the color scheme during setup looked fresh (everything new does). But why not? When change let it look nice as well. Important in the long run to attract new users.

Yes I know it was a factory snapshot. We will see in the released 13.2 what it will be.

I also posted the screen-shot with a different text in Pre-Release/Beta forum. If this is against the rules please delete this post.

Regards

I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    Not to try to add on or prolong any flame (witch I think it haven't been in this post). I tested today to install a factory snapshot (openSUSE-Factory-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20140620-Media.iso).

With the risk to have people yelling at me as usual I found the color scheme during setup looked fresh (everything new does). But why not? When change let it look nice as well. Important in the long run to attract new users.

Yes I know it was a factory snapshot. We will see in the released 13.2 what it will be.

I also posted the screen-shot with a different text in Pre-Release/Beta forum. If this is against the rules please delete this post.

Regards

I dont use Factory but is that the default theme? If so is the new default theme going to be dark? I know there was discussion on the mailing list about possibly making a new theme (see http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00062.html and http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00050.html)

PS. Does fresh = good?

Thanks
    Plasma 5.4

I have to agree with jonte1. I'm liking the new color scheme. It's been also shown on the mailing list, if i'm not mistaking?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast