Thread: Updated 13.1 via YaST. Now Only will Boot Windows.

Angry Updated 13.1 via YaST. Now Only will Boot Windows.

I was trying to perform updates for 13.1 when after the updates it told me to restart the computer and Now it only boots windows 8.1. I've tried to reinstall Opensuse but I am not sure what options to choose? Please help

Thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: Updated 13.1 via YaST. Now Only will Boot Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by goytia54 View Post
    I was trying to perform updates for 13.1 when after the updates it told me to restart the computer and Now it only boots windows 8.1. I've tried to reinstall Opensuse but I am not sure what options to choose? Please help
    And what happens when you boot openSUSE?

Have you tried "Recovery Mode" and/or an older kernel version already? ("Advanced Options" in the boot menu)

I tried reinstalling and It didnt work it still just goes straight to windows. I tried looking at the repair section but I'm not sure how to use it. Also I dont even get the option like I did before hand to run open suse

Do you get a Grub menu? If you choose openSUSE what happens?

Did you try advanced and recovey mode?

I dont get a grub menu. How do I run recovery mode?,

Quote Originally Posted by goytia54 View Post
    I tried reinstalling and It didnt work it still just goes straight to windows. I tried looking at the repair section but I'm not sure how to use it. Also I dont even get the option like I did before hand to run open suse
    Did you maybe use btrfs as root filesystem?

The problem with this is that grub2 does not have any write support for btrfs yet.
    So if you chose "Reboot" in KDE and selected "Windows" in the menu where you can select which OS to boot, grub2 cannot set this back anymore and Windows is booted all the time without showing any menu.

If that's the case, boot from a LiveCD or the InstallationDVD (in this case select "Rescue System"), then mount your root partition (I suppose you don't have a separate /boot), and delete the file /boot/grub2/grubenv.
    Then the boot menu should appear again.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Jun-2014 at 11:42.

PS:
    If you have two hard disks, you might just boot from the wrong one.
    In that case enter the BIOS settings and change the boot order.

Can't if no grub you can run emergency mode from the DVD but that is command line only

Ok since you tried to reinstall it is hard to say what the state is now. If you had come here first we may have been able to help without reinstalling.

Since you have Windows 8.x I assume you have a EFI based BIOS So first thing is to be sure to boot the install media in EFI mode otherwise it may install in the older MBR mode and totally mess things up.

If you have the full DVD (not a live one) maybe try selecting upgrade. Then be sure of the following

In the partition section you should see a FAT formatted partition maybe called boot Any how be sure to mount that as /boot/efi and NOT format it.
    The partition you used for root is selected and mounted as / If using upgrade NOT formatted if new install format
    The partition you used for home selected and mounted as /home NOT formatted if you have any data you want saved
    The partition you used for swap should again be selected and mounted as swap

box for secure boot is checked
    grub2-efi should be used

Be sure of the above before proceeding and change stuff if needed

proceed with the rest of the install