Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE5 applications

Default KDE5 applications

Hi,
    I've been using KDE5 (plasma) for a while now and I must say I'm surprised with how many applications are still based on KDE4 out there, even though there are already KDE5-based versions of them available (although not all of them are considered stable, I know).

I deleted kwallet4 in favor of kwallet5 (there were conflicts, when I tried to use them at once). I uninstalled KMail KDE4-based and replaced it with KMail KDE5-based. It's been working nice so far.

Right now my main concern is a webbrowser. I've been using firefox, but I'd like to try something purely produced by KDE world and I wanted to start with Konqueror, but again: I have only the KDE4-based version installed and this time finding the KDE5-based version was much harder. In fact, I didn't find it. Where can I take it from and how stable is it? If it's too unstable yet, maybe I should use rekonq5 (but again: where to take it from?).

General question (I don't mind if no one answers it): why openSUSE released Leap 42.1 with KDE5 included, but with most of the applications being still KDE4-based?

Regards,
    Radek

Default Re: KDE5 applications

it's not as simple as that, kde4 uses qt4 and kde applications 5 use qt5, there wore a lot of changes from qt4 to qt5 so porting an app is not as simple as it sounds, the thing is with kde5 things changed a lot and now there is not a single kde project but 3 separate ones: plasma 5 the desktop environment, kf5 the system libraries based on qt5, and kde applications that are a mix of qt5 and qt4 applications that use kf5 and the old kde4 runtime.
    Konqy has been dyeing a slow death for some time now, ever since dolphin became the default file manager in kde4, and apple and google stopped releasing their khtnl code (Chromium and Safari are based on konqy code) and created their own html rendering engine, although I do like konqy gecko and blink are the only rendering engines that are getting any work done (Firefox and Chromium) khtml seams to be forgotten.

Blog Entries

I'm replying with konqueror, which is still a KDE4 based application and uses kwallet4 (maybe that's just called "kwallet").

But you could try "qupzilla-qt". I'm pretty sure that is KDE5 based and uses "kwallet5".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    it's not as simple as that, kde4 uses qt4 and kde applications 5 use qt5, there wore a lot of changes from qt4 to qt5 so porting an app is not as simple as it sounds, the thing is with kde5 things changed a lot and now there is not a single kde project but 3 separate ones: plasma 5 the desktop environment, kf5 the system libraries based on qt5, and kde applications that are a mix of qt5 and qt4 applications that use kf5 and the old kde4 runtime.
    I understand the complexity of it. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to release a KDE5-based OS version yet?
    Konqy has been dyeing a slow death for some time now, ever since dolphin became the default file manager in kde4, and apple and google stopped releasing their khtnl code (Chromium and Safari are based on konqy code) and created their own html rendering engine, although I do like konqy gecko and blink are the only rendering engines that are getting any work done (Firefox and Chromium) khtml seams to be forgotten.
    Thanks for this information. What about rekonq? I read it was pretty good at a time, but now I can't find it anywhere. Did it die out along with Konqueror? My point is that KDE on its own has an application for practically everything (or at least everything what's most important), except for a webbrowser, which is really important nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm replying with konqueror, which is still a KDE4 based application and uses kwallet4 (maybe that's just called "kwallet").
    It's not that efficient and it's unstable, too. I've been using it for a moment now and it crashed many times during simple actions like switching between tabs or opening new windows from within websites.
    But you could try "qupzilla-qt". I'm pretty sure that is KDE5 based and uses "kwallet5".
    I'll take a look at it, thanks for the information.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by radfel View Post
    It's not that efficient and it's unstable, too. I've been using it for a moment now and it crashed many times during simple actions like switching between tabs or opening new windows from within websites.
    I'm finding konqueror to be quite stable.

However, I did turn on AdBlock (with the default "Easy list").

With AdBlock off, it crashes often. With AdBlock on, it rarely crashes. That probably points to javascript handling as the cause of crashes.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Why go through all this (IMHO) breaking the distro's integrity, when we have Tumbleweed, which comes with QA tested recent packages ? AFAIU from the recent blog post, TW now has the complete Plasma5 stack. Even Kontact ( kmail korganizer etc ) now uses Frameworks5. Leap wasn't created to be bleeding edge, it was created to have a LTS release.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm finding konqueror to be quite stable.

However, I did turn on AdBlock (with the default "Easy list").

With AdBlock off, it crashes often. With AdBlock on, it rarely crashes. That probably points to javascript handling as the cause of crashes.
    Sounds reasonably, although, it's still a program that received its last update more than a year ago, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Why go through all this (IMHO) breaking the distro's integrity, when we have Tumbleweed, which comes with QA tested recent packages ? AFAIU from the recent blog post, TW now has the complete Plasma5 stack. Even Kontact ( kmail korganizer etc ) now uses Frameworks5. Leap wasn't created to be bleeding edge, it was created to have a LTS release.
    In this case I have to ask: I use openSUSE at work, so it's important to me that programs like KMail, KRDC, webbrowser etc. are stable. Is that achieved in the Tumbleweed+Leap distro?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by radfel View Post
    In this case I have to ask: I use openSUSE at work, so it's important to me that programs like KMail, KRDC, webbrowser etc. are stable. Is that achieved in the Tumbleweed+Leap distro?
    This needs some background info:
    - There is no such thing as a "Tumbleweed+Leap" distro. openSUSE is the distro, openSUSE 13.2, Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed are releases, where Leap and Tumbleweed are the future. Leap as the LTS ( long term support ), Tumbleweed as the rolling release.
    - Both Leap and Tumbleweed get tested in openqa.opensuse.org, in the case of Leap this also concerns updates that come through Leap's update repos. But ...., this is not the case with the repos you added. So, to refer to you phrase on the need of stuff being stabe, that's what you're breaking. IMHO.
    - The things you see re. KDE4 packages, i.e. some packages still being based on KDE4 technology, are intended. When the move to Frameworks5 and Plasma5 was initiated, kde.org decided to split KDE into Frameworks5 and KDE Applications. This allowed them to start the Plasma5 desktop without having to wait for the porting of applications from Qt4 to Qt5 ( Qt is the toolkit KDE is built on ).
    On Tumbleweed we now see all KDE applications built on Qt5, so fully Plasma5. Leap may probably only see that at the next release.
    - Personal experience: both Leap and Tumbleweed are stable. Both have their pros and cons, IMO depending on use case. And the experience level of the user. But, if the user trusts him/herself enough to step away from the stock install and add extra repos, hickups like manual NVIDIA driver install on Tumbleweed shouldn't be that much of a problem.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast