Thread: some problem relate to gedit

Default some problem relate to gedit

Hello everyone,
    I install gedit, and also I can use it to open the text files, but I always get some strange warnings and fails, as I am still new user in linux, could you please explain it to me
    hongzheng6027:/usr/local/DUMUX/dumux/test/implicit/2p # gedit CMakeLists.txt

(gedit:4226): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(gedit:4226): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

Default Re: some problem relate to gedit

Quote Originally Posted by hongzheng6027 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I install gedit, and also I can use it to open the text files, but I always get some strange warnings and fails, as I am still new user in linux, could you please explain it to me
    hongzheng6027:/usr/local/DUMUX/dumux/test/implicit/2p # gedit CMakeLists.txt
    You are running it as root, but how did you change to root?
    "su" doesn't work, you need to use "su -" to have the full environment of root.
    Or rather start gedit as user like this:
    Code:
    gnomesu gedit CMakeLists.txt
    "gnomesu" is designed for running GUI applications as root inside the user's session.

Or even better, do the things you want to do as user, not root.
    Maybe use chmod to grant the appropriate rights.

For further instructions regarding this, you would have to describe in more details what it is that you want to achieve.
    Apparently you want to compile something, as you try to edit a CMakeLists.txt. That shouldn't be done as root anyway.

Default Re: some problem relate to gedit

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You are running it as root, but how did you change to root?
    "su" doesn't work, you need to use "su -" to have the full environment of root.
    Or rather start gedit as user like this:
    Code:
    gnomesu gedit CMakeLists.txt
    "gnomesu" is designed for running GUI applications as root inside the user's session.

Or even better, do the things you want to do as user, not root.
    Maybe use chmod to grant the appropriate rights.

For further instructions regarding this, you would have to describe in more details what it is that you want to achieve.
    Apparently you want to compile something, as you try to edit a CMakeLists.txt. That shouldn't be done as root anyway.
    ok I get it, thanks