Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Won't print landscape from any browser.

Question Won't print landscape from any browser.

I have a strange one that I've been working with Google on.

It seems that sometime in the past couple of months we could no longer print landscape documents from Chrome. I first thought it was related to the Google Drive documents we were printing. Docs created in landscape would only print portrait with the right cut off. That is except for Sheet files; they print fine because the Print dialog box has extra options to select Landscape or Portrait. I remember that they all used to have that option, but now only Sheet files have that for printing and they print landscape just fine.

Then I noticed that I can print anything from Chrome in landscape. This is true using Chrome's dialog or using the alternate Shift+Ctrl+P and passing to my oS 13.1 print dialog. So, it started to look like a Chrome browser problem. BTW, my wife's Chromebook uses the shared printer on this desktop too and also won't print landscape when it's suppose to. The way we have it setup is through Google Cloud Print to my local HP 7510. To let you know this all used to work just fine with oS 12.3 and 13.1 for a very long time.

I then tried Firefox and found it worked exactly the same - it won't print anything in landscape, even if it is landscape. So, it's telling me that it's not specific to Drive files or Chrome. The weird thing is that if I print any local file from a Linux app to the local printer in landscape. Libreoffice, Okular, GIMP, everything prints just exactly in the orientation I tell it. No problems locally at all.

So, printing locally prints landscape just as it's suppose to. Printing anything landscape from Chrome or Firefox will force it into portrait, except for Google Drive Sheet files where the extra option will tell something to do it right. Logically, it seems like it's a communication problem between the browsers and oS's printing system. Somehow, Sheet files are sending a message to the oS printing system that tells to print correctly while anything else doesn't get that landscape flag triggered.

The people I've been working with at Google support seem to have lost interest in helping as soon as I found out that it worked the same in Firefox. Any ideas? Anything I can do?

Thanks,
    Clyde

PS - I have my oS 13.1 very stock. I only add stuff with YaST and accept every update that it wants to do.

Question Re: Won't print landscape from any browser.

I did uninstall and reinstall HPLIP, but that didn't make any difference. Just used YaST and I'm not sure I got everything out though.

Clyde

Default Re: Won't print landscape from any browser.

Quote Originally Posted by LughClyde View Post
    I have a strange one that I've been working with Google on.

It seems that sometime in the past couple of months we could no longer print landscape documents from Chrome. I first thought it was related to the Google Drive documents we were printing. Docs created in landscape would only print portrait with the right cut off. That is except for Sheet files; they print fine because the Print dialog box has extra options to select Landscape or Portrait. I remember that they all used to have that option, but now only Sheet files have that for printing and they print landscape just fine.

Then I noticed that I can print anything from Chrome in landscape. This is true using Chrome's dialog or using the alternate Shift+Ctrl+P and passing to my oS 13.1 print dialog. So, it started to look like a Chrome browser problem. BTW, my wife's Chromebook uses the shared printer on this desktop too and also won't print landscape when it's suppose to. The way we have it setup is through Google Cloud Print to my local HP 7510. To let you know this all used to work just fine with oS 12.3 and 13.1 for a very long time.

I then tried Firefox and found it worked exactly the same - it won't print anything in landscape, even if it is landscape. So, it's telling me that it's not specific to Drive files or Chrome. The weird thing is that if I print any local file from a Linux app to the local printer in landscape. Libreoffice, Okular, GIMP, everything prints just exactly in the orientation I tell it. No problems locally at all.

So, printing locally prints landscape just as it's suppose to. Printing anything landscape from Chrome or Firefox will force it into portrait, except for Google Drive Sheet files where the extra option will tell something to do it right. Logically, it seems like it's a communication problem between the browsers and oS's printing system. Somehow, Sheet files are sending a message to the oS printing system that tells to print correctly while anything else doesn't get that landscape flag triggered.

The people I've been working with at Google support seem to have lost interest in helping as soon as I found out that it worked the same in Firefox. Any ideas? Anything I can do?

Thanks,
    Clyde

PS - I have my oS 13.1 very stock. I only add stuff with YaST and accept every update that it wants to do.
    I'm sorry to reply, -this is a long going problem despite printer. There is some work around in Libre Office, Gimp etc.

I have seen this problems ins 2009. I'm not even sure what where the problem is. I have been lazy. If enough people acknowledge the problem I report to Bugzilla / Try to figure out.

Regards.
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

As a workaround, you might try printing to file (PDF format) and in landscape orientation first. Then open the pdf file and proceed to print to a real printer. (For example, as a KDE user, I can use Okular like this.)

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    As a workaround, you might try printing to file (PDF format) and in landscape orientation first. Then open the pdf file and proceed to print to a real printer. (For example, as a KDE user, I can use Okular like this.)

Thanks everyone. I'll report it in Bugzilla.

Yeah, downloading and printing locally seems to be the workaround. Alas, that doesn't help printing from the Chromebook.

Clyde

Cool Re: Won't print landscape from any browser.

Quote Originally Posted by LughClyde View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll report it in Bugzilla.

Yeah, downloading and printing locally seems to be the workaround. Alas, that doesn't help printing from the Chromebook.

Clyde
    I have found a workaround that may explain something to someone, but I still don't know why...

I changed my local printer from a local printer to a Google Cloud Print printer. With HP that meant setting up a local printer to print by sending to my HP ePrint e-mail. Then in Drive documents I don't actually print, but I "Email as Attachment...". Sending as an HTML file did NOT work, but sending as a PDF did work. It printed in landscape just fine. It printed just fine from my local, Linux (openSUSE 13.1) desktop and from the Chromebook. That makes sense because the Chromebook and desktop is no longer using my desktop as a server, but both are going directly to the printer by IP address.

It would be nice if someone figures out why and fixes it, but this workaround seems to work fine.

Thanks,
    Clyde

PS - I'm considering this closed - but not solved - until someone figures out a better solution.

By sending it as PDF you are doing in a very round about manner what was already suggested ie print to a PDF then print the PDF. You really should not have to use a cloud utility to print. Look at the printer configuration it may give a clue to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    By sending it as PDF you are doing in a very round about manner what was already suggested ie print to a PDF then print the PDF. You really should not have to use a cloud utility to print. Look at the printer configuration it may give a clue to your problem.
    Printing from a Chromebook, yes I do have to print with Google Cloud Print. That's the only print it has. Yes, I could always download or save anything in the browser to print locally - on my desktop, but you can't do that in Chromebook. (Well, you can, but you still have to print with Cloud Print.)

So, changing my printer method from USB to wireless allows the Chromebook to print directly without having to go through the bug in Linux. (Yes, I know Chromebook is a version of Linux, but doesn't seem to have that bug.) Finding that I can send to my HP 7510 printer using the wireless e-mail address got around my openSUSE. Discovering that PDF worked when HTML didn't (in Cloud Print) was the final step to this workaround.

Thanks,
    Clyde

PS - A workaround in any Linux shouldn't be a final solution.

On 2014-04-16 01:16, LughClyde wrote:
    >
    > gogalthorp;2636827 Wrote:
    >> By sending it as PDF you are doing in a very round about manner what was
    >> already suggested ie print to a PDF then print the PDF. You really
    >> should not have to use a cloud utility to print. Look at the printer
    >> configuration it may give a clue to your problem.

>
    > Printing from a Chromebook, yes I *-do-* have to print with Google Cloud
    > Print. That's the only print it has. Yes, I could always download or
    > save anything in the browser to print locally - on my desktop, but you
    > can't do that in Chromebook. (Well, you can, but you still have to print
    > with Cloud Print.)

I do not know how that "Google cloud print" works, but as printing
    locally works, then the problem is there, not in chrome or firefox...

What is sent? A PDF, a postscript file? Something else? Can you
    intercept it at some point and inspect it?

For instance, you can trick CUPS on Linux to print to a PDF file, and
    you can inspect that...

> So, changing my printer method from USB to wireless allows the
    > Chromebook to print directly without having to go through the bug in
    > Linux. (Yes, I know Chromebook is a version of Linux, but doesn't seem
    > to have that bug.) Finding that I can send to my HP 7510 printer using
    > the wireless e-mail address got around my openSUSE. Discovering that PDF
    > worked when HTML didn't (in Cloud Print) was the final step to this
    > workaround.

Well, I know that I'm never going to print my documents via that google
    thing. For privacy reasons: google gets a copy, so does the NSA and who
    knows who else.

I would stick to WiFI.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-04-16 01:16, LughClyde wrote:
    >
    > gogalthorp;2636827 Wrote:
    >> By sending it as PDF you are doing in a very round about manner what was
    >> already suggested ie print to a PDF then print the PDF. You really
    >> should not have to use a cloud utility to print. Look at the printer
    >> configuration it may give a clue to your problem.

>
    > Printing from a Chromebook, yes I *-do-* have to print with Google Cloud
    > Print. That's the only print it has. Yes, I could always download or
    > save anything in the browser to print locally - on my desktop, but you
    > can't do that in Chromebook. (Well, you can, but you still have to print
    > with Cloud Print.)

I do not know how that "Google cloud print" works, but as printing
    locally works, then the problem is there, not in chrome or firefox...

What is sent? A PDF, a postscript file? Something else? Can you
    intercept it at some point and inspect it?

For instance, you can trick CUPS on Linux to print to a PDF file, and
    you can inspect that...

> So, changing my printer method from USB to wireless allows the
    > Chromebook to print directly without having to go through the bug in
    > Linux. (Yes, I know Chromebook is a version of Linux, but doesn't seem
    > to have that bug.) Finding that I can send to my HP 7510 printer using
    > the wireless e-mail address got around my openSUSE. Discovering that PDF
    > worked when HTML didn't (in Cloud Print) was the final step to this
    > workaround.

Well, I know that I'm never going to print my documents via that google
    thing. For privacy reasons: google gets a copy, so does the NSA and who
    knows who else.

I would stick to WiFI.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

As far as I know printer drivers don't print in file formats like PDF. I don't see any settings in my YaST printer configuration like that. I wouldn't know how to tell the printer driver to do anything like that. I suspect that the file format like PDF is at a higher level than the printer driver anyway. i.e. The printer driver prints what is converted from the PDF.

I'm not a system level expert on any of this. If someone has any suggestions on things I can do to test this, I'll be happy to try. I'll need clear instructions though.

BTW, everything locally prints just fine. Portrait docs from the browsers print fine too. The confusion is that landscape instructions don't seem to be getting to the printer driver, except if it's a PDF. Changing the printer driver to "print in PDF" isn't needed as local file print fine in landscape. I may be wrong, but it's something between the browser and the the printer driver that's the problem.

Thanks,
    Clyde

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast