Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emacs suddenly stopped working - symbol look up error

Default Re: Emacs suddenly stopped working - symbol look up error

It doesn't say it is uninstallable.
    It says it cannot be installed because the installed glib2-branding-SLES (again from SLES11 SP1) conflicts with the newer libglib-2_0-0.
    Choose Solution 1, uninstall glib2-branding-SLES. The update (and emacs) should work then.
    This solved my problems with Emacs! Thank you so much!

OK, this doesn't tell much, except that this is a complete repo, most probably SLES_11_SP1.

Could you also post the output of:
    Code:
    cat /var/os/media.1/products
    This should tell which distribution this is.
    If this file does not exist, please post the file /var/os/contents instead.
    Output of cat /var/os/media.1/products:
    Code:
    / SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP1 11.1.1-1.152
    What I suspect that has happened here is this:
    - the system had SLE11 SP1 preinstalled, with the repo/Installation-DVD mirrored in /var/os/ and setup as repo.
    - somebody added the 11.4 repos and upgraded to that
    - because of some conflicts (branding-related), not all packages got upgraded. Those branding packages that caused the conflict (glib2-branding-SLES) did not get removed by "zypper dup" (or however the upgrade was made), because it is still available in that repo.
    Or maybe the upgrade just wasn't done correctly (or at all) anyway, but by "zypper up" or installing the standard updates the update applet offered.
    I'll definitely let my PI know of these issues! Should I just remove the 11.4 repos? Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by reneeee27 View Post
    Output of cat /var/os/media.1/products:
    Code:
    / SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP1 11.1.1-1.152
    As suspected, this is SLES11-SP1.

I'll definitely let my PI know of these issues! Should I just remove the 11.4 repos? Thank you so much!
    Well, at least part of the system has been updated to 11.4 already but I don't know how much so I cannot really say what would be better.

You have two choices:
    Either
    - Remove the 11.4 repos and "upgrade" (or rather downgrade, depending on how you look at it) the system to SLES11-SP1
    or
    - Remove that SLE11-SP1 repo, change the devel:languages:R:patched repo to the 11.4 version as well as already mentioned, and upgrade fully to 11.4.

Regardless of your choice of repos, a "sudo zypper dup" should bring your system to a fully consistent state.
    If you would get some conflicts and are unsure about how to solve them, just ask.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Jun-2014 at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    As suspected, this is SLES11-SP1.

Well, at least part of the system has been updated to 11.4 already but I don't know how much so I cannot really say what would be better.

You have two choices:
    Either
    - Remove the 11.4 repos and "upgrade" (or rather downgrade, depending on how you look at it) the system to SLES11-SP1
    or
    - Remove that SLE11-SP1 repo, change the devel:languages:R:patched repo to the 11.4 version as well as already mentioned, and upgrade fully to 11.4.

Regardless of your choice of repos, a "sudo zypper dup" should bring your system to a fully consistent state.
    If you would get some conflicts and are unsure about how to solve them, just ask.
    Thank you so much!

On 2014-06-16 21:16, reneeee27 wrote:

> I'll definitely let my PI know of these issues! Should I just remove the
    > 11.4 repos? Thank you so much!

Your boss has to decide whether to revert to the original SLES, or to
    switch to openSUSE 11.4, and then upgrade in about a month to 13.1, as
    11.4 goes out of support.

You can not stay midway.

As this appears to be a machine sold by a provider with SLES, going to
    openSUSE probably breaks their support contract or whatever you have
    with them. In fact, adding those 11.4 repos time ago already broke the
    contract, I'd guess.

So, what to do to solve the situation is not on your pay grade. Do not
    install or remove anything, nor add or remove any repo. Management has
    to decide and take responsibilities, they are paid for that.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

On 2014-06-16, reneeee27 <reneeee27@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > The installation was done by the company whom we bought the server from,
    > and I don't have the authorization to make major changes to the system
    > (I'm a summer student). But I'll definitely let my PI know!

You should tell your PI that openSUSE 11.4 (and it's Evergreen extension) have been EOL for some time, and it's not a
    good idea to continue running a lab machine on Kernel 2.6.x especially if it's at all networked. I would recommend your
    lab upgrades OS now, because now's an ideal time since the present version of openSUSE (version 13.1) has been scheduled
    for long term support (`Evergreen'). Many of my lab computers have openSUSE versions 12.x and I intend to upgrade them
    all to 13.1 because of Evergreen support (even if openSUSE 13.2 is already released). The only reason to hold back is if
    there's kernel-critical software (typically hardware drivers) for which you require legacy support.

Thank you guys so much for all the help! I have contacted Dell technical support and informed them of the issues as well as all the suggestions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12