Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE glitchy graphics

Default Re: KDE glitchy graphics

Thanks for replying, Wolfie. I've experimented with the advanced settings. I tried almost every combination I could think of. Eventually I went back to the default opengl 2.0 rather than 3.0 even though I couldn't discern a difference with the two. I just imagine it was probably auto configured for what will work best.

Thanks too goglethorp.

As for the updates, it's sketchy to me if they all worked out or not. When I installed and tried to update, the taskbar thing (apper?) fritzed out on me and I had to load yast2 and try updating. I don't show any updates now, but it did make me wonder if it's possible to botch up updates if the application goes crazy.

The desktop isn't super bad by any means. It's just the moving that has a minor glitchy look. It reminds me of my old win98 system when it ran out of memory. It gives an appearance like it's not refreshing quick enough. Right now, it's not a huge issue, the desktop is beautiful and works, just not as smooth as I remember opensuse kde being.

Quote Originally Posted by guppykiller View Post
    The desktop isn't super bad by any means. It's just the moving that has a minor glitchy look.
    Just a though then:
    Try to disable transparency that is activated by default when moving windows. (also in "All Effects")
    And years ago window's shadows slowed everything down on the system I used then. But that was a weak SiS chip (with no 3D driver support).
    You could try to disable this in Workspace Appearance->Window Decoration->Configure Window Decoration->Shadows.

Maybe one of those would help?
    But that's just guessing now.

And have you tried different "Tearing prevention" settings in Advanced as well?
    The different "Graphical Effects" settings in Application Appearance->Style->Finetuning might be worth a try, too.

wolfi323 wrote:

>
    > guppykiller;2649136 Wrote:
    >> Thanks. I tried that, but it didn't make any differences. I'll keep
    >> looking around and be on the lookout for updates that may resolve

it.
    > You might also have a play with the settings in "Configure
    > Desktop"->"Desktop Effects".
    > Try to disable the "Blur" effect in "All effects", that is known to
    > have caused problems in the past.
    >
    > And also check the settings on the "Advanced" tab.
    > The recommended settings nowadays are "Composite Type" OpenGL, "Qt
    > graphics system" Raster, but try other combinations as well.
    >
    > And try to set the scaling method to "crisp" or "smooth" there. The
    > Lanczos filter ("accurate") can also slow down your system
    > considerably, depending on the graphics card.
    >
    > Of course those won't change anything with desktop effects turned

off,
    > but maybe you'll be able to get a nicer experience with them turned
    > on.
    >

Thats for posting the above configuration info. It made my screen much
    easier to read, Earier on the old eyes.

Russ
    --
    openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-11-desktop x86_64|
    Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|
    GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.79)|KDE 4.13.2

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Just a though then:
    Try to disable transparency that is activated by default when moving windows. (also in "All Effects")
    And years ago window's shadows slowed everything down on the system I used then. But that was a weak SiS chip (with no 3D driver support).
    You could try to disable this in Workspace Appearance->Window Decoration->Configure Window Decoration->Shadows.

Maybe one of those would help?
    But that's just guessing now.

And have you tried different "Tearing prevention" settings in Advanced as well?
    The different "Graphical Effects" settings in Application Appearance->Style->Finetuning might be worth a try, too.
    Thank you! I had not messed with the "tearing prevention" settings since i had no idea what that really meant. Setting it to "full scene repaints" seems to have resolved it. Sorry for the late response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12