Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: samba and windows 8.1 login

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115

    Default samba and windows 8.1 login

    Hi again. Two samba questions in one day
    Using Samba client/server 4.1.6-3.18.1 x86_64

    This one concerns my connecting from a windows 8.1 machine to my shared folder on the openSUSE machine. Though I have no problem with the connection, I get this error in the log.smbd file|:

    "check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [sparkz_alot@msn.com] -> [sparkz_alot@msn.com] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER"

    Since you can't create a user with the "@" symbol, how have you you folks solved this situation?

    Here is my conf file should you need it:

    Code:
    # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
    # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
    # samba-doc package is installed.
    [global]
        max log size = 50
        log level = 3
        map to guest = Bad User
        public = Yes
        write raw = no
        local master = Yes
        read raw = no
        debug timestamp = Yes
        debug level = 2
        security = user
        logfile = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        workgroup = LOCAL
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        name resolve order = bcast hosts lmhosts wins
        os level = 65
        server string = Samba Server
        netbios name = lenovo
    #[homes]
    #    comment = Home Directories
    #    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    #    browseable = No
    #    read only = No
    #    inherit acls = Yes
    #    guest ok = Yes
    
    ## Share disabled by YaST
    # [profiles]
    #    comment = Network Profiles Service
    #    path = %H
    #    read only = No
    #    store dos attributes = Yes
    #    create mask = 0600
    #    directory mask = 0700
    
    #[users]
    #    comment = All users
    #    path = /home
    #    read only = No
    #    inherit acls = Yes
    #    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
    #    guest ok = Yes
    
    ## Share disabled by YaST
    # [groups]
    #    comment = All groups
    #    path = /home/groups
    #    read only = No
    #    inherit acls = Yes
    
    ## Share disabled by YaST
    # [printers]
    #    comment = All Printers
    
    ; path = /var/tmp
    ; printable = Yes
    ; create mask = 0600
    ; browseable = No
    ## Share disabled by YaST
    # [print$]
    #    comment = Printer Drivers
    #    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    #    write list = @ntadmin root
    #    force group = ntadmin
    #    create mask = 0664
    #    directory mask = 0775
    
    [shared]
        comment = shared folder
        path = /export
        read only = No
        guest OK = Yes
    btw, right now it just defaults me to "nobody", which is rather insulting

    Thanks
    If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
    openSUSE 42.1 (Leap) (x86_64); Intel Dual Core Proc @ 2.66 GHz; KDE Desktop

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,705

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    It is looking to authenticate user sparkz_alot on msn.com

    So this is a Windows 8?? if so yes it tries to authenticate on msn.com MS wants to know when you log into the OS LOL

    Did you setup a MSN account? Windows 8 seems to want you to

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It is looking to authenticate user sparkz_alot on msn.com

    So this is a Windows 8?? if so yes it tries to authenticate on msn.com MS wants to know when you log into the OS LOL

    Did you setup a MSN account? Windows 8 seems to want you to
    Thanks gogalthorp,
    Yes my 'remote' (about 2 feet) machine is running windows 8.1, the server is on openSUSE 13.1. On the windows 8.1 machine, the user login is sparkz_alot@msn.com. I can imagine why MS chose to use an email address for a login, however it's creating a problem as far as samba and linux also are concerned, since you can't create a local user that includes the "@" symbol. Maybe an 'alias' somewhere?
    If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
    openSUSE 42.1 (Leap) (x86_64); Intel Dual Core Proc @ 2.66 GHz; KDE Desktop

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,705

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    No clue I don't touch Win 8 just know they want you to have a MSN account

    Add a nw user to Win 8 and maybe you can trick it not to use MSN

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    ND, USA
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    On 6/13/2014 12:16 PM, sparkz alot wrote:
    >
    > gogalthorp;2648799 Wrote:
    >> It is looking to authenticate user sparkz_alot on msn.com
    >>
    >> So this is a Windows 8?? if so yes it tries to authenticate on msn.com
    >> MS wants to know when you log into the OS LOL
    >>
    >> Did you setup a MSN account? Windows 8 seems to want you to

    >
    > Thanks gogalthorp,
    > Yes my 'remote' (about 2 feet) machine is running windows 8.1, the
    > server is on openSUSE 13.1. On the windows 8.1 machine, the user login
    > is sparkz_alot@msn.com. I can imagine why MS chose to use an email
    > address for a login, however it's creating a problem as far as samba and
    > linux also are concerned, since you can't create a local user that
    > includes the "@" symbol. Maybe an 'alias' somewhere?
    >
    >

    sparkz;

    You can add a line in /etc/samba/smbusers of the form:
    Code:
    linux_name = windows_name1 windows_name2 <etc.>
    e.g.
    sparkz = sparkz_alot@msn.com
    This maps windows name(s) to a linux name. You may also need to add this parameter to the [global] section of:
    /etc/samba/smb.conf.
    Code:
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    ( I don't recall the default value the "username map" parameter on openSUSE. But you can check if it is necessary to add
    the above parameter to your smb.conf with:
    Code:
    testparm -vs | grep "username map"
    )
    --
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    Quote Originally Posted by venzkep View Post
    On 6/13/2014 12:16 PM, sparkz alot wrote:
    >

    You can add a line in /etc/samba/smbusers of the form:
    Code:
    linux_name = windows_name1 windows_name2 <etc.>
    e.g.
    sparkz = sparkz_alot@msn.com
    This maps windows name(s) to a linux name. You may also need to add this parameter to the [global] section of:
    /etc/samba/smb.conf.
    Code:
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    ( I don't recall the default value the "username map" parameter on openSUSE. But you can check if it is necessary to add
    the above parameter to your smb.conf with:
    Code:
    testparm -vs | grep "username map"
    )
    --
    P.V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you" Red Green
    venzkep
    Once again you are spot on. For the sake of clarity though, I will add to your instructions:
    Code:
    linux_name = windows_name1 windows_name2 <etc.>
    e.g.
    sparkz = sparkz_alot@msn.com
    the "linux_name" has to be an actual user and a samba "user" (added with the smbpasswd linux_name).

    Now my custom logs (thanks again for that) now show an actual user rather than 'nobody'

    Many thanks for the great advice to both my questions.
    If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
    openSUSE 42.1 (Leap) (x86_64); Intel Dual Core Proc @ 2.66 GHz; KDE Desktop

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    On 2014-06-13 19:26, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > No clue I don't touch Win 8 just know they want you to have a MSN
    > account
    >
    > Add a nw user to Win 8 and maybe you can trick it not to use MSN


    Yes, you can configure Windows 8 not to use MSN. The default is to use
    it, and they don't easily tell you how to do without. But it is
    possible, in fact easy, I have been told.

    I don't know how, I don't use W8. Even if I read the instructions, I
    would forget soon for lack of use.

    If I were using W8, I would certainly create fully local users, never
    tell MSN when I log or allow them to authenticate me in my own computer.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,677
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    On Sat 14 Jun 2014 02:18:06 PM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    On 2014-06-13 19:26, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > No clue I don't touch Win 8 just know they want you to have a MSN
    > account
    >
    > Add a nw user to Win 8 and maybe you can trick it not to use MSN


    Yes, you can configure Windows 8 not to use MSN. The default is to use
    it, and they don't easily tell you how to do without. But it is
    possible, in fact easy, I have been told.

    I don't know how, I don't use W8. Even if I read the instructions, I
    would forget soon for lack of use.

    If I were using W8, I would certainly create fully local users, never
    tell MSN when I log or allow them to authenticate me in my own computer.


    Hi
    On my windows 8 (well now 8.1) from a default factory re-install it
    only creates a local account, but this is the method to use AFAIK;
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToS...LocalUser.aspx

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-11-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    On my windows 8 (well now 8.1) from a default factory re-install it
    only creates a local account, but this is the method to use AFAIK;
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToS...LocalUser.aspx

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-11-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    Thanks for the link. I actually found my solution in the comments section. And I heartily agree with the author- beware of what your doing. It will definitely mess up many of the apps. All the more reason I'm taking the time and effort to learn Linux.
    If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
    openSUSE 42.1 (Leap) (x86_64); Intel Dual Core Proc @ 2.66 GHz; KDE Desktop

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    US
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: samba and windows 8.1 login

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-06-13 19:26, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > No clue I don't touch Win 8 just know they want you to have a MSN
    > account
    >
    > Add a nw user to Win 8 and maybe you can trick it not to use MSN


    Yes, you can configure Windows 8 not to use MSN. The default is to use
    it, and they don't easily tell you how to do without. But it is
    possible, in fact easy, I have been told.

    I don't know how, I don't use W8. Even if I read the instructions, I
    would forget soon for lack of use.

    If I were using W8, I would certainly create fully local users, never
    tell MSN when I log or allow them to authenticate me in my own computer.


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)
    lol, I totally agree except MS doesn't. For the moment I have to retain a MS machine so I have to find , hmm 'solutions' . But then again, don't we basically do the same thing every time we turn on our cell phones? Might be a good topic for General Chat
    If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
    openSUSE 42.1 (Leap) (x86_64); Intel Dual Core Proc @ 2.66 GHz; KDE Desktop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •