Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install an updated 13.1

Default Install an updated 13.1

Hi, I wanted to know if its possible to install an updated version of the 13.1 release.
    I tried going thourgh the SUSE Studio route, but it got a bit complicated, having to manually select many many packages.

Things i wanted to have updated are packages from Kernel, KDE SC, Mesa Repository, packman, etc.
    Im doing this to avoid having to update the whole system again once im finished installing 13.1.

Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks

Default Re: Install an updated 13.1

Quote Originally Posted by assas1n View Post
    Hi, I wanted to know if its possible to install an updated version of the 13.1 release.
    I tried going thourgh the SUSE Studio route, but it got a bit complicated, having to manually select many many packages.

Things i wanted to have updated are packages from Kernel, KDE SC, Mesa Repository, packman, etc.
    Im doing this to avoid having to update the whole system again once im finished installing 13.1.

Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks
    Probably a heck of a lot less work to do the latter, ie: Install the current and run the updates.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Will you not get an up-to-date system when you choose the network install image instead of the DVD or a live medium?

Furthermore, there used to be an option to add additional online repositories during setup, e.g. the official openSUSE update repo. In 13.1 I didn't see this option. Is it gone?

However, both solutions will only work if you are online. No clue how to build an up-to-date installation medium in case you want to setup an openSUSE out in the sticks.

Good luck!

On 2014-06-11 02:46, supertimorplusfort wrote:
    >
    > Will you not get an up-to-date system when you choose the network
    > install image instead of the DVD or a live medium?

Yes, and no.

The system is first installed, then updated, before the first boot. You
    can say that it was installed up.to.date, but it was done in two
    distinct steps.

> Furthermore, there used to be an option to add additional online
    > repositories during setup, e.g. the official openSUSE update repo. In
    > 13.1 I didn't see this option. Is it gone?

No. At least, I get it when doing upgrades.

> However, both solutions will only work if you are online. No clue how to
    > build an up-to-date installation medium in case you want to setup an
    > openSUSE out in the sticks.

With a big on disk repository...

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by assas1n View Post
    Yes.

If you use the NET install CD, you will get an updated system, because it installs directly from the online repos.

If you use the DVD for install, then there is an option to add online repos for the install, though I think it only works for a wired internet connection. Add both the main repo and the update repo. Also, add the non-oss repo and the non-oss update repo. If I recall correctly, they are all in the list presented and you just have to check the boxes. If you install that way, you will install from the online repos whenever that has a more recent version of the software than is on the DVD.

However, if you want to do it all offline, then you are pretty much stuck with using the install media prepared last November, and you won't get anything newer until you run updates.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

If you use the DVD for install, then there is an option to add online repos for the install, though I think it only works for a wired internet connection.
    OK, I see. The option is only present in the DVD installer but not in the live media? That probably explains why I couldn't find it...

On 2014-06-11 04:06, supertimorplusfort wrote:
    > OK, I see. The option is only present in the DVD installer but not in
    > the live media? That probably explains why I couldn't find it...

Ah, yes, it is a different installer.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Thank you guys, will try the network install DVD, adding the repositories i need

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you use the DVD for install, then there is an option to add online repos for the install, though I think it only works for a wired internet connection.
    Haven't tried the full DVD, but the NET install CD works fine with a wireless Internet connection. That's how I upgraded my system to 13.1...

But your wireless device has to be supported out of the box of course. It must not need any additional firmware or driver for its operation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Haven't tried the full DVD, but the NET install CD works fine with a wireless Internet connection. That's how I upgraded my system to 13.1...
    Yes, you are correct about the NET install. That does fine with Wireless, as long as you have a supported WiFi card. I tested that shortly after my failure with the DVD install on my laptop.

The DVD install does have a section for configuring the device. But there are no wireless options. There's no place to select the SSID or to set a key for the network security. Try it sometime. You don't need to do a full install. This happens before the partitioning section. You can abort after that if you don't really need to install.

That was with 13.1. I have not yet tried that with a pre-release 13.2
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast