Thread: Is anyone else having problems with LibreOffice taking excessive time for file access?

Default Is anyone else having problems with LibreOffice taking excessive time for file access?

It appears that any time LibreOffice performs file writing it takes about 10 times longer than it takes Dolphin to copy the file. Sometimes, LibreOffice takes minutes to save even a relatively short file. Worse, the system frequently locks requiring a system reboot. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so, is there a work around?
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin US Patent Office

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is anyone else having problems with LibreOffice taking excessive time for file access?

Quote Originally Posted by Parthenolide View Post
    It appears that any time LibreOffice performs file writing it takes about 10 times longer than it takes Dolphin to copy the file. Sometimes, LibreOffice takes minutes to save even a relatively short file. Worse, the system frequently locks requiring a system reboot. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so, is there a work around?
    What I see is. Sometimes, when I go to save and have to choose the location from the LO dialogue it is very slow for me to navigate the dir to the save location.

I can't quite pin it down but I believe it is when I am accessing also .doc or .docx and or possibly incorporating data or text from those. But I have had this slow behaviour when exporting to .pdf too and in either case, it doesn't always happen.

FYI: I am using KDE and have never experience this in Gnome installs. So it could be more to do with the fact that KDE is my Desktop. It'll not be the first time LO has failed to support KDE very well.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Is anyone else having problems with LibreOffice taking excessive time for file access?

Is anyone else having this problem, and if so, is there a work around?
    I regular save / save as documents that are 300+ pages. I'm using LO Version 4.1.6.2 Build ID 410m0 (Build:2) with KDE 4.13 and have not noticed any appreciable slowness. What does slow down the save is if there are images, but even then, personally, the time to save seems quite acceptable.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191203) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    What I see is. Sometimes, when I go to save and have to choose the location from the LO dialogue it is very slow for me to navigate the dir to the save location.

I can't quite pin it down but I believe it is when I am accessing also .doc or .docx and or possibly incorporating data or text from those. But I have had this slow behaviour when exporting to .pdf too and in either case, it doesn't always happen.

Maybe this... https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=876174#c1
    Regards, Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    That could well be it
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Default Re: Is anyone else having problems with LibreOffice taking excessivetime for file access?

On 2014-06-10 12:16, tannington wrote:

> What does slow down the save is if
    > there are images, but even then, personally, the time to save seems
    > quite acceptable.

I tell LO/OO/MSO to link the images, not to embed them. It saves a lot
    of time when saving, they can be shared with other documents, and they
    can be manipulated directly with external editors, even replaced.

Of course, when sending the file you also have to send the images on the
    appropriate directory structure, which can be a nuisance.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Thanks everyone.
    I'll try clearing the clipboard and see if this helps.
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin US Patent Office

I'll try clearing the clipboard and see if this helps.
    That bug only related to slow response/navigation within the kfiledialogue window, not the actual speed of saving.
    Regards, Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    That bug only related to slow response/navigation within the kfiledialogue window, not the actual speed of saving.
    Which is what I have been getting
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post

FYI: I am using KDE and have never experience this in Gnome installs. So it could be more to do with the fact that KDE is my Desktop. It'll not be the first time LO has failed to support KDE very well.

For me changing the KDE dialog to the LibreOffice one made a big difference.
    Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General > Use LibreOffice dialogs