Thread: LibreOffice odt document disappeared

Default LibreOffice odt document disappeared

Hi,

I was writing in a document that I have for a long time ago, and suddenly after I closed and saved it, it disappeared from the hard disk How is that even possible? In the "Recent documents" section in LibreOffice it still shows up, but when I click on it to open it says it doesn't exist any longer I'm totally disappointed by this and I don't know if it's reversible...what I know is that I lost precious info that will never go back...

If you have any ideas, care to share...
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

Default Re: LibreOffice odt document disappeared

I do not understand what happened like you, but you can of course allways restore the original one from your backup. And then try to recreate the problem, taking notes, so that maybe a more precise tracing of what happened is possible.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Go to the dir where it was, presumably the recent section also points to the same location?

View hidden files and make sure it's not there
    Also check: your home/username/.config/libreoffice/4-suse/user/
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riderplus View Post
    Hi,

I was writing in a document that I have for a long time ago, and suddenly after I closed and saved it, it disappeared from the hard disk How is that even possible? In the "Recent documents" section in LibreOffice it still shows up, but when I click on it to open it says it doesn't exist any longer I'm totally disappointed by this and I don't know if it's reversible...what I know is that I lost precious info that will never go back...

If you have any ideas, care to share...
    You should and I do, keep backups.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Go to the dir where it was, presumably the recent section also points to the same location?

View hidden files and make sure it's not there
    Also check: your home/username/.config/libreoffice/4-suse/user/
    there is no file whatsoever in the /user/backup directory.
    I don't know how to create backup files (I assume there are .bak files?), it seems like LibreOffice did not create them automatically, that's why I lost my file for good There is no backup file...is there any other way to look for a possible backup? It's really strange how it all occurred, I just saved the file and it disappeared altogether...can I even prevent this thing from happening in the future, it's terrible?
    Reliable + rider = RiDeR PlUs
    ...if you find this helpful, click on the star below...
    +-+ +-+
    |r| |+|
    +-+ +-+

I empathise with you... I suffered a similar 'disappearance' of an LO document file. I had reason to suspect the underlying cause was a corrupted 'registrymodifications.xcu' file, although I wasn't able to prove that.

From LO 'Options - Load/Save - General' you can select whether a backup file is created or not. There is also an option to set 'Auto Recovery', useful if for any reason LO crashes...
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190918) KDE Plasma 5
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

What we mean with backup is that you make backups of all your (or at least what you think are important to you) files. On a regular base (at least once a week). What are you going to do when your disk fails? That is far more worse then than the one file you now seem to have lost.

What when you system, catches fire? So consider to have those backups stored out of the room or even out of the house. In the cloud or on DVDs or on an USB disk.

It all depends on how much you have to backup, how important data is to you, how great risks are, etc. But when you made a decission, that is then your backup policy (even if the policy is not to make backups at all). And while we will try here to help you if we can, there no reason to regret it here in a thread when you took the wrong decision.

And the need of making backups is well known throughout computer land, regardless of operating system used, or system used (hand-held, notebook, laptop, desktop, computer room small system, computer room mainframe, supercomputer).
    Henk van Velden

Excellent advice of course from 'caf4926' and 'hcvv' regarding the importance of maintaining backups using other media / physical locations.

... '1701' you say? You have got a backup copy, haven't you Sir? ...
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190918) KDE Plasma 5
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5