Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change the login background

Default Change the login background

I found this, but my .xml file does not have the background string.

I want to change the login background.

Code:
    The properties for GDM are defined in the distribution-specific gconf settings in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.vendor/%gconf-tree.xml.

To change the background image, look for:

<dir entry=”background”> … <entry name=”picture_filename” mtime=”1241629069″ type=”string”> <stringvalue>/usr/share/backgrounds/glass/glass.xml</stringvalue> </entry> … </dir>
    Change the string value to the location of the background image you want to use. This can be either a JPG file or an XML file in the Gnome background slideshow XML format (which does not seem to be documented).
    Thanks, Andy

openSUSE 13.1 KDE (x86_64)
    Puppy Slacko 5.6.0
    Occasionally Windows XP

Blog Entries

Default Re: Change the login background

Well,
    Not seeing this answered before, I decided to take a few moments to do a quick look, hope the following gets you started...

Don't know where you got your code (You should always post where something comes from or a guide you're following) but nowadays openSUSE is running a subsystem called Plymouth during initial login. Plymouth manages user input (Username/Password) and therefor also the background.

Plymouth is not easily configurable with a simple text file, it's a program which requires inspecting and possibly changing its functionality.

I didn't spend a long time looking at various published articles on Plymouth, but here is one
    http://joekuan.wordpress.com/2010/08...boot-messages/

Note the article is based on Debian and there are some significant differences like its syntax usage of single and double dashes preceding command options. You may find that an article based on Fedora is more accurate describing commands you can use in openSUSE without modification.

Anyway,
    Reading the article I referenced (and trying a few commands) you'll find that you need to first start up the Plymouth daemon, then command it to display the splash image and perhaps query. Again, YMMV .

Also, an important resource which might provide you exactly what you need (perhaps you should even start here?) is to look at the Plymouth man pages
    Code:
    man plymouth
    HTH,
    TSU

Thanks,

This was my source.

http://christian.krog-madsen.dk/2009/05/11/changing-gdm-theme-in-opensuse-111/

After reading about, I decided to pass.

Too much work.

I thought it would involve pointing to a different picture file.
    Thanks, Andy

openSUSE 13.1 KDE (x86_64)
    Puppy Slacko 5.6.0
    Occasionally Windows XP

I had always the idea that Plymouth is a bootsplash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_%28software%29) and has nothing to do with the theme used on the login screen by dm/kdm/gdm (except that distibution makers will probably try to use the same theme for both areas).
    Henk van Velden

On 05/28/2014 03:16 PM, hcvv pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
    > I had always the idea that Plymouth is a bootsplash
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_%28software%29) and has nothing
    > to do with the theme used on the login screen by dm/kdm/gdm (except that
    > distibution makers will probably try to use the same theme for both
    > areas).
    >
    >

I always change the setting in "Configure KDE4 Desktop" under "System
    Administration"-->"Login Screen". I think you may have to turn off
    "Themed" mode.

Ken

If you are using KDE you can run:

Code:
    kdesu kcmshell4 kdm
    got to Theme tab and select your choice,

Install_new_theme, Remove_new_theme or Get_new_theme

I don't know about the other DE's sorry
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    If you are using KDE you can run:

Code:
    kdesu kcmshell4 kdm
    It should not be necessary to run it as root.
    Just do it as user (via the standard "Configure Desktop"/"Systemsettings" entry in K-Menu) and you will get asked for the root password when saving the changes.

But as I understand it, the OP is talking about the GDM login screen.

No idea there as well (the link mentioned by the OP is for an old version, 2.24, where 13.1 has 3.10) , but the background picture seems to be located in /usr/share/gdm/greeter/images/distributor.svg. Try to overwrite this.
    But your change will get lost on updates of course.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 29-May-2014 at 04:22.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It should not be necessary to run it as root.
    Just do it as user (via the standard "Configure Desktop"/"Systemsettings" entry in K-Menu) and you will get asked for the root password when saving the changes.

But as I understand it, the OP is talking about the GDM login screen.

No idea there as well (the link mentioned by the OP is for an old version, 2.24, where 13.1 has 3.10) , but the background picture seems to be located in /usr/share/gdm/greeter/images/distributor.svg. Try to overwrite this.
    But your change will get lost on updates of course.

At first i did not do that as root but nothing happend after i change the background . I had a ask around in suse channel -kde folks and one of them pointed to me how to do it like that so i guess i cannot really say why it needs to be done as root, but try it as a normal user and see or they had already a fix, maybe
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

.:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Quote Originally Posted by jetchisel View Post
    At first i did not do that as root but nothing happend after i change the background . I had a ask around in suse channel -kde folks and one of them pointed to me how to do it like that so i guess i cannot really say why it needs to be done as root, but try it as a normal user and see or they had already a fix, maybe
    If you click on "Apply" a dialog should pop up asking for the root password.
    If not, something with KAuth is broken on your system...

It works fine here (I just tried), and does since as far as I can remember.

Except that kdm didn't respect most settings (like the theme) in the configuration module in earlier versions, but rather took them from /etc/sysconfig/. This was an openSUSE-specific patch and has been reverted mostly in the mean time. But that password dialog should have appeared anyway, and the same problem did exist when starting it as root as well of course.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 29-May-2014 at 07:10.

It asks for a root password because it has to be done by a process owned by user root.

So it may depend on one's definition of the meaning of "done by root", but IMHO both methods point to the fact that it is not in the end-users realm, but root. Logical to me. Because it is about the login screen which is of course independent of any user that might try to login. Imagine, two users who start to chance the login screen theme each hour to their own whish and the chagrin of the other.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast