Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob noob noob!!! Help please

Question Noob noob noob!!! Help please

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone.

Now, I used Arch 2 years ago. It was great BUT after I finished my custom build something happened or I did something and I lost the OS and almost all my files. It was a mess. After that I went back to Windows. Now I am studying to be a developer and most of the quality tutorials out there are for either Mac or Linux. Opensuse is my choice for linux. I am running it in Virtual Box and that will be the case for a month or so to get use to it properly. My Opensuse version openSUSE-12.3-i586.

The problems I am facing ;

1. I have forgotten how to get packages. I remember using a command that I think is unique to every distro and for Suse its zypper but the problem is I forgot how I found out the names of the packages. I know the install/remove command but I also forgot the get command. If you could help with that it would be great.

2. I though about using Yast but when I open it up Yast2 hangs and I just can't terminate it.

3. Does the documentation has enough material in it to help me become proficient with opensuse.

4. Developer tools for Opensuse. I am sure someone here is a developer. Is vi good. I am learning vi but its really challenging. Is it really that good or is that all hipster ********. Could you tell me which editor is good for developers for Linux?

5. How the hell do I update my applications. I can't update Firefox and therefore I can't run Firebug. What about Chrome? Why does everybody talk about Chromium and not Chrome. Do Chrome extensions work on Chromium?

6. I tried to intall opensuse 9 months ago but something happened to the bootloader. Its still there in my system. I don't even touch it because the last time I did that my Windows installation got corrupted. Would it be safe to delete it using EasyBCD?

Default This is what happens when I try updating with Yast

First this happens and it gets stuck there

Then this happens and I can't terminate Yast2

Default There is also something wrong with KDE.

It says after a period of inactivity,

"This session is locked by user"

NO ITS NOT. I know Suse developers have nothing to do with this bug but is there a fix?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Noob noob noob!!! Help please

Quote Originally Posted by satnav08 View Post
    First of all I would like to say hi to everyone.
    Welcome to the forums. Slow down... It takes time and patience to learn.

The problems I am facing ;

1. I have forgotten how to get packages. I remember using a command that I think is unique to every distro and for Suse its zypper but the problem is I forgot how I found out the names of the packages. I know the install/remove command but I also forgot the get command. If you could help with that it would be great.

2. I though about using Yast but when I open it up Yast2 hangs and I just can't terminate it.
    If YaST hangs, it may be that another package manager (eg Apper) is running, and you may need to terminate it first.

3. Does the documentation has enough material in it to help me become proficient with opensuse.
    Probably not on its own, but we're here to help, and there's lots of other good info out there if you care to search.
    http://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/o...e-123-start-up
    http://www.tweakhound.com/2013/03/25...ks-and-tweaks/

5. How the hell do I update my applications. I can't update Firefox and therefore I can't run Firebug. What about Chrome? Why does everybody talk about Chromium and not Chrome. Do Chrome extensions work on Chromium?
    I use YaST (GUI) or zypper (CLI), but I guess you want to run the latest version. Subscribe to (add and enable) the appropriate repo

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_pa...tories#Mozilla

then you should be able to update to recent builds without issue.

With "get command" you mean package search I suppose?
    "zypper se xxx" or "zypper se -s xxx"
    zypper has online help included, just run "zypper help" or "zypper help command" for further options.

Apparently it hangs when trying to refresh the repos.
    Do you have a working internet connection?
    Does "sudo zypper ref" in a terminal window work?

4. Developer tools for Opensuse. I am sure someone here is a developer. Is vi good. I am learning vi but its really challenging. Is it really that good or is that all hipster ********. Could you tell me which editor is good for developers for Linux?
    Well, there is no vi in openSUSE. You mean vim I guess? (vim="vi improved")
    Yes it is good, but it at least needs getting used to.

That said, I wouldn't want to write large programs with it.

There are lot other good (and maybe easier to use) editors though. Emacs f.e.
    Or as you seem to use KDE, try Kate or KWrite for a start.

There are also IDE's available, like KDevelop and Eclipse.

[QUOTE]5. How the hell do I update my applications. I can't update Firefox and therefore I can't run Firebug.
    "zypper up" as already mentioned.
    But the question is whether this will work, as YaST hangs. They both use the same underlying code.

What about Chrome? Why does everybody talk about Chromium and not Chrome. Do Chrome extensions work on Chromium?
    Chromium is the open source version of Chrome. It is mainly the same, but doesn't include some proprietary stuff.
    Extensions should work the same I suppose.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome#Chromium
    The mentioned "built-in flash player" that's missing in Chromium, _is_ available for openSUSE on Packman though. The package is called "chromium-pepperflash"

6. I tried to intall opensuse 9 months ago but something happened to the bootloader. Its still there in my system. I don't even touch it because the last time I did that my Windows installation got corrupted. Would it be safe to delete it using EasyBCD?
    Normally (especially on a multiboot system) you should only have generic boot code in the MBR.
    For this to work, the partition that contains the actual boot loader has to be marked as active (bootable).

Hard to say whether it would be safe to delete it without further information.
    But EasyBCD is just a tool to edit Window's boot menu entries, isn't it?
    So removing openSUSE there should _not_ break/influence your Windows system.

It says after a period of inactivity,

"This session is locked by user"

NO ITS NOT. I know Suse developers have nothing to do with this bug but is there a fix?
    This was a bug in KDE's screen locker since 4.10. It showed the password dialog even when no password was needed.
    It was fixed in 4.11.4, but that introduced another bug where it didn't show the password dialog any more although a password was required under specific circumstances (mainly after resume from sleep).

Even the second bug should be fixed by now though.

The standard update repo contains kdebase4-workspace-4.11.9 where all this is fixed, so you just need to install all updates.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    If YaST hangs, it may be that another package manager (eg Apper) is running, and you may need to terminate it first.
    This doesn't seem to be the case here.
    YaST would pop-up a dialog stating that another package manager is running. It should not just hang.

Hello and again welcome here.

While deano_ferrari is trying to help you out, allow me to give some advice on posting here.

First thing is of course to use the best fitting forum within these forums. My idea is that you managed that allright.

Second thing is to make a good short, but descriptive title for your thread. The title you used says nothing about your problem and is thus bad advertsing. People here are all openSUSE users like you. They try to help in their spare time. But even spare time has it's limits. Thus people here may glance through the titles of new posts to see if there is something they feel they are qualified. To be honest "Noob noob noob!!! Help please" would ask for a qualified psycholigist of which we have few here.

When you are interested in making good technical problem descriptions and or questions, feel free to read a bit of http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

This doesn't seem to be the case here.
    YaST would pop-up a dialog stating that another package manager is running. It should not just hang.
    The OP's description was too vague to know. It will also do that too (display pop-up) when a connection is not available for example.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The OP's description was too vague to know. It will also do that too (display pop-up) when a connection is not available for example.
    Yes.

But that warning about another package manager running should come earlier, not when it is refreshing the repos already.
    It would be shown in the "Initializing target system" phase already. (see the screenshots)

BTW, there is vi:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> which vi
    /usr/bin/vi
    henk@boven:~>
    I use it all the time (because being a conservative person).
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    BTW, there is vi:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> which vi
    /usr/bin/vi
    henk@boven:~>
    I use it all the time (because being a conservative person).
    I have it installed as well, though seldom use it (but it is part of the vim package).
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 26-May-2014 at 03:15.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast