More update errors, kernel packages causing errors again.

Today Apper notified me of another update, with various updates to my existing programs, and two new packages :
kernel-source-3.14.4-30.2.gbebeb6f, and kernel-syms-3.14.4-30.2.gbebeb6f

I tried to let Apper do the work, but as soon as the above packages began to download, I got an error box that said “Installation cancelled by user.” Confused, I decided to run

sudo zypper up 

to get the update instead. Everything ran as normal, and I was asked to confirm whether I want to proceed with the update. I confirmed, and zypper spat out

Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package kernel-source-3.14.4-30.2.gbebeb6f.noarch needs 284MB on the / filesystem 

This is strange as I still have a 20GiB / partition, and a 278 GiB /home/. I’m going to have to ask for help again, what is this and why is it happening? I’m new to this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Why do you get kernel 3.14.4 as update?

Are you using Tumbleweed? Then you should not use Apper or “zypper up” to update.
You should only use “zypper dup”.

Please post the output of:

zypper lr -d

I tried to let Apper do the work, but as soon as the above packages began to download, I got an error box that said “Installation cancelled by user.” Confused, I decided to run

sudo zypper up 

to get the update instead. Everything ran as normal, and I was asked to confirm whether I want to proceed with the update. I confirmed, and zypper spat out

Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package kernel-source-3.14.4-30.2.gbebeb6f.noarch needs 284MB on the / filesystem 

This is strange as I still have a 20GiB / partition, and a 278 GiB /home/. I’m going to have to ask for help again, what is this and why is it happening? I’m new to this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

But how much free space is on your / partition?

df -h /

Apparently there’s not enough room for the new kernel-source package.

Free some space.

Maybe you should uninstall some older kernels or kernel-source completely even.

I… am not. I am just running 13.1, I believe the command was to update packages, was it not?

But how much free space is on your / partition?

df -h /

It indeed seems I don’t have enough space. I feel really dumb now, but thanks for helping me find my problem. I’ll just chip off a couple of GiB off my Windows partition and expand /. That should help.

Hmm, I checked GParted, and that reports 1.3 GiB of free space on /…

Yes.
But there is no kernel 3.14 in the standard 13.1 repos.
So please post your repo list, as asked before. (“zypper lr -d”)

Remove that kernel or Factory repo you might have added, and/or remove the additional kernel packages you might have installed already.
(“Versions” tab in YaST)

Ah yes, apologies. A copy of the results is here. # | Alias | Name - Pastebin.com I feel very messy looking at that. How may I remove the repositories and kernels that are not in 13.1?

In the repo configuration, it turns out that I do have a stray Tumbleweed repo. I remove this, correct?

Also, I have discovered these kernels using the help of I-Nex:
vmlinux-3.11.10-11-desktop.gz
vmlinux-3.11.10-7-desktop.gz
vmlinux-3.14.4-30.gbebeb6f-desktop.gz
vmlinuz
vmlinuz-3.11.10-11-desktop
vmlinuz-3.11.10-7-desktop
vmlinuz-3.14.4-30.gbebeb6f-desktop

Should I switch back to an older kernel and delete the new ones?

I have no idea how I managed this. I should really only be allowed to use a pen and paper.

Yes, that’s quite a long list.
You might want to clean that up, but I don’t really feel to look at it in detail right now, sorry. :wink: (I might do tomorrow though…)
One note, you can safely remove packman-essentials and packman-multimedia as you have the full Packman repo as well anyway.

But the repo that causes your problem is Tumbleweed anyway, I suppose.

How may I remove the repositories and kernels that are not in 13.1?

The easiest way would be YaST.
Use YaST->Software Repositories to remove the repo, and YaST->Software Management to remove packages.
Search for “kernel” in the latter, and remove all packages with a higher version than 3.11.x.
Select the installed packages and click on “Versions” below the package list to uninstall particular versions.

You shouldn’t uninstall the kernel completely of course, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to boot your system any more. And you need kernel-source as well for the fglrx driver.

If in doubt, better ask again, maybe with a screen shot.

In the repo configuration, it turns out that I do have a stray Tumbleweed repo. I remove this, correct?

Yes. If you don’t want to use Tumbleweed, that is.
But in that case, your other repos would be completely wrong anyway. :wink:

Thanks, I’ll clean up my repos.

The easiest way would be YaST.
Use YaST->Software Repositories to remove the repo, and YaST->Software Management to remove packages.
Search for “kernel” in the latter, and remove all packages with a higher version than 3.11.x.
Select the installed packages and click on “Versions” below the package list to uninstall particular versions.

Just clicking the thingie on the left down/updated the package to a version the repos had, that being 3.11, so I guess that’s fixed.

Thanks a lot, YaST is downloading the older versions now. I like how tolerant this system is to me messing up spectacularly at every corner.

On 2014-05-22 22:46, TheBlueGhost wrote:

> Ah yes, apologies. A copy of the results is here.
> http://pastebin.com/RJM3ZfLc I feel very messy looking at that. How may
> I remove the repositories and kernels that are not in 13.1?

That’s a mess. Anything above 5 repos is a problem unless you know what
you are doing.

> In the repo configuration, it turns out that I do have a stray
> Tumbleweed repo. I remove this, correct?

Several.

Numbers 48, 49, 50, 51, and 52, are all Tumbleweed, so out with them
(the “current” repos are links to the last stable distro, and for use
with Tumbleweed. Eventually they’ll point to 13.2 and your system breaks).

55 and 56 are a repeat of 54.

46 is a repeat of 20.
47 is a repeat of 24.
59 is a repeat of 9

That was just a quick visual look…

How to remove them? Just use YaST.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Oh goodness, I’ll get around to cleaning that as soon as possible.