Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clone/copy current installation

Default Clone/copy current installation

I have openSUSE 13.1 64bit KDE installed onto a desktop box and have it running and updated to perfectly suit my needs. Now I have added a new (larger) hard drive and would like to clone or copy my running installation to it so I can retire the existing drive. Normally I would just re-install from the DVD but I spent MUCH more time updating, installing added third party software and configuring than I spent on installing from the DVD. The running drive has four partitions. The new drive has nine partitions four of which are slightly larger than the running drive partitions. What is the simplest, fastest way of doing this? I realize I will have to re-configure grub to account for the changed drive id references.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Clone/copy current installation

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    I have openSUSE 13.1 64bit KDE installed onto a desktop box and have it running and updated to perfectly suit my needs. Now I have added a new (larger) hard drive and would like to clone or copy my running installation to it so I can retire the existing drive. Normally I would just re-install from the DVD but I spent MUCH more time updating, installing added third party software and configuring than I spent on installing from the DVD. The running drive has four partitions. The new drive has nine partitions four of which are slightly larger than the running drive partitions. What is the simplest, fastest way of doing this? I realize I will have to re-configure grub to account for the changed drive id references.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Use Clonezilla, partition images.

Of course, when you go to restore the images to the new drive, you are likely to be wanting to restore to different partitions than on the original disk.

If so, that is done by opening the directory on the backup device where you have stored the Clonezilla backups.

You will have a list of files in there such as this:
    Code:
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ac
         "
         "
         "
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aj 
    sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ab
         "
         "
    (etc.)
    Mostly self-explained, sda1-- is, of course, sda1, and so on.

To restore, say, sda1 from the original drive to, say, sda4 on the new drive, just rename the sda1-- backup files to the new partition number sda4--, then run Clonezilla's restore function.

Just watch out. Start with the highest partition number of the backup set. In my example, if you had an sda4 on the original disk, you would first have to rename the sda4 files to the new destination partition name, or you would have a problem when you renamed the sda1 to sda4.

The other thing to watch out for: The new destination partitions must be the same size or larger than the originals. Clonezilla can expand the backups to a larger partition size, but cannot shrink the originals.
    Last edited by Fraser_Bell; 21-May-2014 at 15:40. Reason: formatting
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Just copy the files you will have to adjust grub and mkinitd to adjust for different drive and possible partition positions. Cloning is fine if you don't want to change sizes Also not sure why a new drive has 9 partitions???? Certainly you can partition it the way you want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Just copy the files you will have to adjust grub and mkinitd to adjust for different drive and possible partition positions.
    You probably need to also change "/etc/fstab", unless you are using cloning software that handles this change.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

On 2014-05-21 22:06, ionmich wrote:
    >
    >

> The new
    > drive has nine partitions four of which are slightly larger than the
    > running drive partitions.

What are the source partitions, and what are the destination partitions?

If you want to distribute the original 4 partitions into 9, you must
    know what each one is for...

Or else, you did not explain your case correctly.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Use Clonezilla, partition images.

Of course, when you go to restore the images to the new drive, you are likely to be wanting to restore to different partitions than on the original disk.

If so, that is done by opening the directory on the backup device where you have stored the Clonezilla backups.

You will have a list of files in there such as this:
    Code:
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ac
         "
         "
         "
    sda1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aj 
    sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa
    sda3.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.ab
         "
         "
    (etc.)
    Mostly self-explained, sda1-- is, of course, sda1, and so on.

To restore, say, sda1 from the original drive to, say, sda4 on the new drive, just rename the sda1-- backup files to the new partition number sda4--, then run Clonezilla's restore function.

Just watch out. Start with the highest partition number of the backup set. In my example, if you had an sda4 on the original disk, you would first have to rename the sda4 files to the new destination partition name, or you would have a problem when you renamed the sda1 to sda4.

The other thing to watch out for: The new destination partitions must be the same size or larger than the originals. Clonezilla can expand the backups to a larger partition size, but cannot shrink the originals.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. However I have never used Clonezilla and I am disinclined to learning and using a new tool if I am familiar with old tools ("cp" and "dd") that work. It's my old age you see. If the old tools won't work then it's time to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Just copy the files you will have to adjust grub and mkinitd to adjust for different drive and possible partition positions. Cloning is fine if you don't want to change sizes Also not sure why a new drive has 9 partitions???? Certainly you can partition it the way you want.
    I think I will try this method first as copying is faster that using "dd". I partitioned the new drive to accomodate two extra distributions for experimantal purposes. Three primary root partitions, three extended /home partitions, one extended swap, one large extended data partition and of course one primary to create the extended partitions. Total nine.

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    If the old tools won't work then it's time to switch.
    "to switch"

... you mean, to another age?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    "to switch"

... you mean, to another age?

Clonezilla (BTW has the gui improved?) uses "partclone" which I use via SystemRescueCd. As you know it copies just the used blocks, whereas "dd" also copies unused blocks [for the user with "ages" to spare].
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

On 2014-05-22 12:06, consused wrote:

> Clonezilla (BTW has the gui improved?)

GUI? It is a TUI.

> uses "partclone" which I use via
    > SystemRescueCd. As you know it copies just the used blocks, whereas "dd"
    > also copies unused blocks [for the user with "ages" to spare].

With the side effect that dd copies grub and other boot managers, and
    smart copiers may fail, unless they are aware they have to copy those
    "empty" sectors as well. Or some of them at least, and as they are empty
    officially, the problem is finding out which of them to copy.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast