Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

  1. #1

    Default Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Hello, I have been interested in trying openSUSE for a while so I finally got around to trying out. After from a live USB, I began to notice odd glitches affecting the desktop and open windows, the task bar is glitched as well. Below is a screenshot of the issue:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byt...it?usp=sharing
    I would appreciate any help with the issue, thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,079

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:26:02 +0000, inmanaaron03 wrote:

    > Hello, I have been interested in trying openSUSE for a while so I
    > finally got around to trying out. After from a live USB, I began to
    > notice odd glitches affecting the desktop and open windows, the task bar
    > is glitched as well. Below is a screenshot of the issue:
    > http://tinyurl.com/k2gqplk I would appreciate any help with the issue,
    > thank you.


    What version of openSUSE, and what video controller do you have?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:26:02 +0000, inmanaaron03 wrote:

    > Hello, I have been interested in trying openSUSE for a while so I
    > finally got around to trying out. After from a live USB, I began to
    > notice odd glitches affecting the desktop and open windows, the task bar
    > is glitched as well. Below is a screenshot of the issue:
    > http://tinyurl.com/k2gqplk I would appreciate any help with the issue,
    > thank you.


    What version of openSUSE, and what video controller do you have?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    Hello Jim, and thank you for the quick reply. I am using openSUSE 13.1 and have an nVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,079

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:56:01 +0000, inmanaaron03 wrote:

    > I am using openSUSE 13.1 and
    > have an nVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE.


    Are you using the OSS nVidia driver or did you download the proprietary
    driver?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:56:01 +0000, inmanaaron03 wrote:

    > I am using openSUSE 13.1 and
    > have an nVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE.


    Are you using the OSS nVidia driver or did you download the proprietary
    driver?

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    I am currently using the OSS driver.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,079

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:36:02 +0000, inmanaaron03 wrote:

    > I am currently using the OSS driver.


    You might try the proprietary driver and see if that helps.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Quote Originally Posted by inmanaaron03 View Post
    I am currently using the OSS driver.
    Are you using the correct version for your card?

    You should be using x11-video-nvidiaG02

    You can find it in Yast Software Manager, search for nvidia, and you want the one labelled:

    GeForce 6xxx and newer: x11-video-nvidiaG02
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    I would try to use the proprietary driver but unfortunately, the OS is nearly impossible to navigate with these glitches occurring. I have not even been able to set up an internet connection because if it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,889
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Quote Originally Posted by inmanaaron03 View Post
    I would try to use the proprietary driver but unfortunately, the OS is nearly impossible to navigate with these glitches occurring. I have not even been able to set up an internet connection because if it.
    Turn off "Desktop Effects".

    If it is too difficult to navigate for that, then logout and login to the "Icewm" windows manager. Open a terminal, and edit the file "$HOME/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc". Look for the "Compositing" section. If there's a line beginning "Enabled=", then set that to "Enabled=false". If there is no such line, then add one.

    Now log back into KDE, and things should be better but without desktop effects.

    You can then try switching to the nVidia drivers. When those are working, you can try turning desktop effects back on (and you won't need to do that with a text editor).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Weird Graphical Glitches After Startup

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Turn off "Desktop Effects".

    If it is too difficult to navigate for that, then logout and login to the "Icewm" windows manager. Open a terminal, and edit the file "$HOME/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc". Look for the "Compositing" section. If there's a line beginning "Enabled=", then set that to "Enabled=false". If there is no such line, then add one.

    Now log back into KDE, and things should be better but without desktop effects.

    You can then try switching to the nVidia drivers. When those are working, you can try turning desktop effects back on (and you won't need to do that with a text editor).
    I managed to disable desktop effects and install the proprietary driver. Everything seems to be better now. Thank you for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •