Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can we watch without Packman?

Default What can we watch without Packman?

Is there a way to watch video clips on sites like www.cda.pl or any other like this without packman and only with stock openSuse repositories.

Default Re: What can we watch without Packman?

Quote Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
    Is there a way to watch video clips on sites like www.cda.pl or any other like this without packman and only with stock openSuse repositories.
    Well, flash-player is in the stock openSUSE repos (non-oss), so I would say: all sites that use flash, like youtube f.e...

If you don't want to use flash-player either, then you're mostly limited to OGG/Theora (and WebM?). I cannot tell you any sites that have videos in those formats though.

PS: The site you linked to uses Flash anyway, so you don't need Packman for that.
    Install flash-player and it should work. As said this is in the standard non-oss repo.

If you're looking for a free alternative to flash-player, you're out of luck I'm afraid.
    There are some (like gnash), but AFAIK none of them works.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-May-2014 at 11:43.

Thank you for a ultra fast response!

I already have Packman so how can I revert to the state without Packman with cleaning all the installed files.

Is there a asy way to do that or I have to do a fresh instal again? It's doable but a lot of work

Remove the repo and then check the program lists in Yast look for the red and then reload them. That is my first thought may be a better way

I have found this to list the packages:

Code:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/452802-How-to-revert-Suse-11-3-KDE-to-the-freshly-installed-state?p=2278744#post2278744
    and also this to remove the dependencies:
    Code:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/452435-software-removal-quick-tip
    But I wonder if I am skilled enough to get a clean system.

I did a fresh install, and everything works as supposed.

Thank you all for help and assistance!

I actually like this idea, focusing on only utilising open-source software; though, I don't know, of course, if that was the intended message.
    I do try to have one of my computers only running open-source software; interested in observing the occurrence of any unresolvable obstacles to basic tasks; highly subjective, of course, but none the less.

With increasing emergence of HTML5, Flash will hopefully fade away; plus, there are a lot of open codec alternatives for multimedia usage.
    Interesting to note, though, that recently, while setting up a web page, I discovered Konqueror to require .mp3 in the HTML5 embedded player, while Opera (only) supported .ogg, (ending up providing copies in both formats).
    Quite a paradox!

PS
    Gnash works, though, but have a rather limited range.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    I actually like this idea, focusing on only utilising open-source software; though, I don't know, of course, if that was the intended message.
    ???
    The OP asked about not having to add Packman.
    So in fact using not-open-source software (i.e. flash-player) is the solution to his "problem" as it is available in the standard non-oss repo.

And in retrospect I don't think the OP didn't care about open/closed source at all, he just didn't want to add any additional repos.
    Although I wasn't sure about that when I replied.

All the software on Packman is open-source (also the multimedia stuff; except for w32-codec-all of course, which you shouldn't need any more anyway), but certain multimedia codecs are protected by patents, so it might be illegal in your country to watch them with open-source software (without paying fees, actually). This is unrelated to only utilizing open-source software though, as it is the format/(de)compressing method that poses the problem.

With increasing emergence of HTML5, Flash will hopefully fade away;
    Yes. Coupled by the fact that Adobe itself doesn't really want to support it any more.

plus, there are a lot of open codec alternatives for multimedia usage.
    Yes, but if you want to watch "restricted" formats, that doesn't help you.

Interesting to note, though, that recently, while setting up a web page, I discovered Konqueror to require .mp3 in the HTML5 embedded player, while Opera (only) supported .ogg.
    Quite a paradox!
    No.
    Konqueror (WebKit actually) just uses gstreamer (0.10 at the moment) to display HTML5 multimedia content, just like Firefox does. It should _not_ require mp3, but play anything gstreamer supports. (or are you using the KHTML engine? I think this uses phonon, so it would depend on your phonon backend)

I don't know how Opera handles this though.
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...format_support, Presto (Opera's HTML rendering engine) should use gstreamer on Linux, so play MP3 too if the corresponding plugin is installed. And openSUSE's opera package does indeed require gstreamer-0_10, so this should work. Do you have gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 installed?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-May-2014 at 04:19.

Hi Wolfi!

Didn't meant to make such a fuss.

As I meant to imply, this was just an interpretation of the question.

With regard the codec issue, take a look here: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_audio.asp As Konqueror is not listed I just tested, Konqueror will play with .mp3, but not when the site only provides an .ogg file. KHTML is the default engine on my system, whether it matters in this regard I do not remember; however, the only reason I provide the site with two different formats was what I explained above.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

And, with the regard of open codecs/formats, I meant to address what could be used; not what is used.

It was a comment, nothing more.

Cheers,
    Olav

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast