Internet issue offline

Hi folks,

I am using 13.1 (KDE) and since past two months - without internet (because I din’t have a connection). I had my old Alcatel dongel (One Touch X220) which I used for internet in Windows a few years back. But that doesn’t work here in Linux. Now, I have a sim which has 2G internet connection and that I want to use in openSUSE 13.1 using that Dongel. Is that possible? The dongel is 7.2 Mbps (max.).

Which RPM package(s) is/are needed or what can I do?

Further, this email is from cyber cafe and I have been checking here because of this issue. I want to use internet in my PC!

Thanks.

Hello,
Recommend you read the stickies in the Wireless Forum closely.

It will describe that you need to identify the chipset used in your wireless dongle and then look up its requirements to work in Linux. In other words, the brand name of the dongle is nearly worthless. Linux support will be based on the hardware inside.

Good Luck,

TSU

Okk I see.

As tsu2 mentioned, chipset details are important here. That said, usb_modeswitch (used to enable some modem devices) does support some Alactel devices, and yours may be one of them. For example, some modeswitch udev rules listed

# Alcatel OT-X080C
ATTR{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTR{idProduct}=="00ca", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

# Alcatel X200/X200L/X060S, Archos G9 3G Key
ATTR{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTR{idProduct}=="f000", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

# Alcatel OT-X220D
ATTR{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTR{idProduct}=="f017", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

# Alcatel OT X220L
ATTR{idVendor}=="1bbb", ATTR{idProduct}=="f052", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

# Alcatel One Touch X020
ATTR{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTR{idProduct}=="1001", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"

So with luck, you may just find your device is recognised and can be activated using Network Manager.

Okay, I whould see (as soon as I again unpack the packed PC) all the options. I packed it earlier because I started going to cyber cafe.

Thanks.

Yes, give it a try and report back. :slight_smile: