Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing on a 2nd computer from the same Flash Drive - Process Hung

Default Installing on a 2nd computer from the same Flash Drive - Process Hung

I got 13.1 installed on my 1st computer. It took reloading the file on the flash drive using a special program to properly write the iso image. To see the details see the thread 'Stuck in Grub rescue - Help'. Now, I need to install it on a notebook computer. I am trying to use the same flash drive. I have double checked that the flash drive will boot first. And then it boots to the 2nd screen of the install process where you select 'Installation'. I am unable to make any selection. The process seems to be hung. Any suggestions on how to get this to install?

Lizzie

Default Re: Installing on a 2nd computer from the same Flash Drive - Process Hung

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    I got 13.1 installed on my 1st computer. It took reloading the file on the flash drive using a special program to properly write the iso image. To see the details see the thread 'Stuck in Grub rescue - Help'. Now, I need to install it on a notebook computer. I am trying to use the same flash drive. I have double checked that the flash drive will boot first. And then it boots to the 2nd screen of the install process where you select 'Installation'. I am unable to make any selection. The process seems to be hung. Any suggestions on how to get this to install?

Lizzie
    Which version, 32-bit or 64-bit?

If 64-bit, maybe the 2nd machine is not a true 64-bit machine.

Also, is one machine UEFI and the other not?
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Default Re: Installing on a 2nd computer from the same Flash Drive - Process Hung

I am installing 32-bit. I don't know about UEFI. What is UEFI? I just know that they are both HP Pavilion computers. With one being a desktop and the other being a notebook.

Lizzie

I am installing 32-bit. I don't know about UEFI. What is UEFI? I just know that they are both HP Pavilion computers. With one being a desktop and the other being a notebook.
    UEFI is the new BIOS, so to say.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...ware_Interface

Regarding your problem, I know of 2 likely reasons that could cause such a hang during installations.

- the system doesn't have a floppy drive but the BIOS says it has, so the installer tries to access it and hangs
    - certain wireless devices seem to freeze the installation because of missing firmware

So try to disable the floppy drive in the BIOS settings if possible.

And if that doesn't help, try to disable wireless as well. It should be possible to enable it after the installation.

If it is UEFI I think you have to install 64 bit.

But it sounds like the installer is not finding the keyboard? Is this a bluetooth keyboard?

This is an older notebook. It's BIOS is KE.M1.45 by Phoenix Technologies. There is no floppy setting in the bios and I don't believe the computer is wireless. Any way I have always had to plug it into a router to access the internet. To double check that it was not the flash drive, I made a new one. It still hangs at the same point. Because of the age of the notebook, it's processor (Intel Celeron 1.6GHz x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7), and lack of Ram (1 GB), I chose to install the 32 bit system.

Any other suggestions as to what I could try? I am all ears!!

Julie

Default Re: Installing on a 2nd computer from the same Flash Drive - ProcessHung

On 2014-05-22 09:56, Lizzie wrote:

> x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7), and lack of Ram (1 GB), I chose to
    > install the 32 bit system.

Are you using the live gnome/KDE image? Try the full DVD instead, needs
    less memory.

Or, if memory is the problem, the alternative is using another Linux
    live (I suggest puppy) to create at least a swap partition in the hard
    disk. Then boot again the openSUSE install media, and after booting but
    before doing anything else, switch to a text console and activate that
    swap partition.

I had to do that on an old laptop of mine, with 500 MiB RAM.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Because of the age of the notebook, it's processor (Intel Celeron 1.6GHz x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7), and lack of Ram (1 GB), I chose to install the 32 bit system.
    1 GB should be sufficient. I installed it with less and without swap (768 MB) in VMs successfully more than once.

Could you describe the problem in more detail maybe?
    F.e. how does it hang, can you still move the mouse, what screen do you mean exactly?
    Maybe post a picture.

PS: as I still think it might be related to a missing floppy drive (the notebook doesn't have one, right?), try to type "brokenmodules=floppy" at the boot menu, where it allows you to select "Boot from Harddisk" or "Installation".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-May-2014 at 13:25.

its processor (Intel Celeron 1.6GHz x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7), and lack of Ram (1 GB)
    The processor and RAM should be adequate. I installed openSUSE 13.1 KDE 32-bit on a ThinkPad T23. Its processor is Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU 1133MHz, and it has 1 GB RAM. I installed using the full 32-bit installation DVD.

When the installation gets to the second screen, is there no response to the up arrow, down arrow, or tab keys? Does the mouse pointer work? If you a using the laptop's internal pointing device, try connecting an external mouse.

Howard

Lots of suggestions to reply to!!

@crmhrm - There is no response to any key not the arrow keys, not the page up and page down keys, and not the touch pad. I tried your suggestion of using a external mouse, but I only have a usb mouse and the bios asked for a ps/2 mouse. Tried it anyway, didn't work.

@wolfi323 - There is no floppy drive. I tried to put an image of the screen I am stuck on but it did not work. It is the screen that lists Boot from Hard Disk, Installation, Rescue System, etc. You cannot type anything on the boot menu page both because the keyboard does not work and because there is nowhere for anything to be typed.

@robin_listas - I am using the dvd image on a flash drive. I had this problem on both my desktop computer and the notebook which changing to the flash drive solved on the desktop computer. I have not tried your suggestion of using
    puppy to create a swap partition yet, but I will if I have to. I really need to get this notebook operating.

Julie

Last edited by Lizzie; 22-May-2014 at 14:16. Reason: To add stuff I forgot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast