Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Best way to turn off desktop environments

  1. #1

    Default Best way to turn off desktop environments

    Hi, I would like to know the best way to disable any desktop environments and default to running a more server like env. The systems already has KDE on it but I am moving it to the basement and no longer need a GUI, please advise the best way. I know going to runlevel 3 will work, but I think that when you do a clean install and select command line only instead of a DE the result will still boot to run level 5 but just has no GUI.


    Running 13.1 BTW

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,757

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    No, when you install a text only system, it will boot by default into runlevel 3. Obvious, because everything that should be started to get runlevel 5 is not installed and it will generate a lot of problems when the system would try to go to runlevel 5.

    And you can of course switch your boot configuration so that it will start into runlevel 3 by default. Only thing is that I am a bit retared here. I could tell you prefectly how to do that in a sysvinit system, but not in a systemd environment.

    I assume that YaST > System > Bootloader and then clicking BootLLoader Options and then adding something to the Optional Kernel Command LIne Parametr field would do it. Try adding a 3 there.

    When that works, do the same with the Failsafe field below it, but not before the standard one is OK.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    On 2014-05-19 21:16, miked63017 wrote:
    >
    > Hi, I would like to know the best way to disable any desktop
    > environments and default to running a more server like env. The systems
    > already has KDE on it but I am moving it to the basement and no longer
    > need a GUI, please advise the best way. I know going to runlevel 3 will
    > work, but I think that when you do a clean install and select command
    > line only instead of a DE the result will still boot to run level 5 but
    > just has no GUI.



    If you boot to run level 3, there is no GUI started, as simple as that.
    You don't need doing else.


    Look at the directory "/etc/systemd/system", there is a symlink named
    "default.target". It normally points to
    "/usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target" or to
    "/usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target".

    You now know what do now to change to boot on text mode :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,757

    Post Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    Look at the directory "/etc/systemd/system", there is a symlink named
    "default.target". It normally points to
    "/usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target" or to
    "/usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target".

    You now know what do now to change to boot on text mode :-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
    That is the better sustemd explanation I was looking for.
    Yes, either runlevel3.target, which is a link itself to multi-user.target. And that what the OP wants IMHO.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default AW: Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    That is the better sustemd explanation I was looking for.
    Yes, either runlevel3.target, which is a link itself to multi-user.target. And that what the OP wants IMHO.
    Even better:
    To find out what target is set as default:
    Code:
    systemctl get-default
    To change the default target to text mode:
    Code:
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    Or just use YaST->System->Services Manager. (this has a text mode interface as well)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    On 2014-05-20 12:46, hcvv wrote:

    > That is the better sustemd explanation I was looking for.
    > Yes, either runlevel3.target, which is a link itself to
    > multi-user.target. And that what the OP wants IMHO.


    He, there is a new command somewhere, which I forgot the name, that does
    the switch fast and easy. Maybe someone remembers.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    On 2014-05-20 12:56, wolfi323 wrote:

    > Even better:
    > To find out what target is set as default:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > systemctl get-default
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > To change the default target to text mode:
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    > --------------------


    THAT one! That's the command I was talking about but could not remember. :-)



    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,757

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    And I was fiddlinng around in YaST > System > Bootl;oader, where I should have advised YaST > System > System services (runlevel).

    Thanks wolfi323 for all the different ways to do the same.
    Henk van Velden

  9. #9

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And I was fiddlinng around in YaST > System > Bootl;oader, where I should have advised YaST > System > System services (runlevel).
    No.

    That old module only allows to set the runlevel when /etc/inittab exists (it was designed for sysvinit, not systemd). But this file does _not_ exist any more since 12.3, because systemd doesn't use it anyway.

    You have to use the new (in 13.1) YaST->System->Services Manager, as I wrote.

    If you upgraded your system to 13.1, you might have to install it manually though. The package is called "yast2-services-manager".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-May-2014 at 04:56.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,757

    Default Re: Best way to turn off desktop environments

    The name may have changed a bit, but I assume that it will be clear what item to click when you are there.
    In any case, many people will see other languages, thus a general "pointing to" will do the trick IMHO.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •