Thread: I'm bored (sunday)

Default I'm bored (sunday)

Lets see.. Sunday dinner done, Dogs are not willing to exercise in this heat (+23). Had a bicycle ride to the gas station for petrol and I will and cut the grass first time this year later.

I found a post on idg.se reporting from Openstack summit in atlanta US. Not that often SUSE is mentioned. I running 13.1 Evergreen on my server and Virtual Box for WM's. My home config is working a-ok. Still there is a itching in my fingers.. Had a look. Had a look again and *SUSE is so much moore than a basic Linux distro. Provides excellence service and functions.

I'm pleased with my software.

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Default Re: I'm bored (sunday)

Small correction: 13.1 is not Evergreen yet, because there is no evergreen repo available until 13.1 ends maintenance, then Evergreen project takes over.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Small correction: 13.1 is not Evergreen yet, because there is no evergreen repo available until 13.1 ends maintenance, then Evergreen project takes over.
    Hmm.. You may have a point there. Is it time for openSUSE to add "LTS" or "Evergreen" in the distro name concerned?

2013_2

What I based my choice upon. Almost a year ago,

Still pleased with SW choice

Regards
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte1 View Post
    Is it time for openSUSE to add "LTS" or "Evergreen" in the distro name concerned?
    It's a reasonable question, now the Evergreen concept has proved itself. What's in a name?

Well "LTS" is better known across the distros, whereas Evergreen is a nice "project name", but it is a separate project with a very small dedicated team. It doesn't have the same level of committed resources as the main distribution enjoys, so they may prefer to keep their options open.

I get the impression that Evergreen releases are not purpose-built (e.g. Ubuntu's LTS releases were pre-planned). They are selected on suitability, and IIRC 13.1 was the first to be announced as the next Evergreen release, before the standard version actually released. Before that we had 11.2 and 11.4, so no pattern or regular plan for it so far. I guess openSUSE is gaining confidence in Evergreen, and maybe it will become part of the furniture.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    It's a reasonable question, now the Evergreen concept has proved itself. What's in a name?

Well "LTS" is better known across the distros, whereas Evergreen is a nice "project name", but it is a separate project with a very small dedicated team. It doesn't have the same level of committed resources as the main distribution enjoys, so they may prefer to keep their options open.

I get the impression that Evergreen releases are not purpose-built (e.g. Ubuntu's LTS releases were pre-planned). They are selected on suitability, and IIRC 13.1 was the first to be announced as the next Evergreen release, before the standard version actually released. Before that we had 11.2 and 11.4, so no pattern or regular plan for it so far. I guess openSUSE is gaining confidence in Evergreen, and maybe it will become part of the furniture.
    Ok.I' reading in more then you think. Reading . Oxford? Small theme? I attach a picture from the Taffelberg SA. I trying to set a new presence on the site and its lack of attached pictures.

www.jodo.nu earned +100kg of food in photo contexts. Feel free to try break in to it.

Regards

On 2014-05-18 19:26, consused wrote:

> Well "LTS" is better known across the distros, whereas Evergreen is a
    > nice "project name", but it is a separate project with a very small
    > dedicated team. It doesn't have the same level of committed resources as
    > the main distribution enjoys, so they may prefer to keep their options
    > open.

That's an important point. It is not made by the same people as the
    distribution, but by the community. Well, arguably everything is done by
    the community, but... I don't know how to put it into words. Evergreen
    doesn't get support from SUSE, in staffers, for instance. Of course,
    some of the staffers do help on their free time and with advice.

> I get the impression that Evergreen releases are not purpose-built (e.g.
    > Ubuntu's LTS releases were pre-planned). They are selected on
    > suitability, and IIRC 13.1 was the first to be announced as the next
    > Evergreen release, before the standard version actually released.

That is correct. As Evergreen is a separate project, they have to
    evaluate each official release for suitability for Evergreen. It is not
    that 13.1 was designed for being an LTS or Evergreen.

The difference is that this time, it was announced at the start. IMO,
    they took a bold jump; but they had to, because would be Evergreen users
    have asked them often to know in advance which release is going to have
    long term support, so that they install that release and not another
    one. That is, so that users can really use a release for 3 continuous years.

Before this, some people found out the version they had installed would
    have extended support, others found their already installed version
    would not have it, but maybe the previous one was going to have it, and
    they updated in vain.

> I guess openSUSE is gaining confidence in Evergreen, and maybe it will
    > become part of the furniture.

That's a hope :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))