Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Still, I just had to reply another time...
    Wolfie, I wouldn't deny you that

Quick question just to clarify (I could possibly be suffering from a 'senior moment').

Does Dolphin natively populate the Information Panel with 'basic' (mimetype, size, modified, owner, permissions) file data?
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20200116) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Does Dolphin natively populate the Information Panel with 'basic' (mimetype, size, modified, owner, permissions) file data?
    Yes this works, also for not-indexed folders/files (I just tried / and /boot).
    Of course you have to enable this data, by default only size and mimetype is shown. But that's unrelated to baloo of course.

But after uninstalling baloo-file this only works for already indexed files...
    Didn't notice this before.
    Only if you select more than one file it shows the total size correctly.

I suppose that's gonna be another bug report, although it could be related to that existing one.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-May-2014 at 14:38.

I have yet to see any usable indexer. Lets face it those that are producing these things want all to find the joy of complete and total indexing. Sorry not all files need or should be indexed. For most toaster users(ie non tech types) indexing the document folder would be sufficient since that is whee all their work is. This should be the default ir doc's only. Ok So you want to index your email. So you could add the email folder(s) as an option. IMO There is no need to try and index any binary based file. But I guess adding meta data from some forms of binary make sense but there are many that don't so why waste the CPU cycles???

So the default should be simple and directed at the obvious areas but never just the home directory entirely. If someone want that let them turn it on do not turn it on by default

Indexing should not be linked to normal metadata reading, ever!!!!

The first thing I do at a Windows install is turn off the indexing. I should be able to turn off the indexing in KDE also

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I should be able to turn off the indexing in KDE also
    But you can.

In 4.13.1 (released 2 weeks ago) the standard Baloo configuration module (in "Configure Desktop"/"Systemsettings") has an on/off switch that enables/disables file indexing.
    And you can exclude folders from indexing.

And there's the advanced configuration module (similar to the old Nepomuk configuration module) where you can select exactly which folders are to be indexed, and which filetypes (you can exclude specific mimetypes and specific filename patterns).

Indexing should not be linked to normal metadata reading, ever!!!!
    I agree. But again, that's a bug that has to be fixed.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-May-2014 at 03:42.

Yes this works, also for not-indexed folders/files (I just tried / and /boot).
    Of course you have to enable this data, by default only size and mimetype is shown. But that's unrelated to baloo of course.

But after uninstalling baloo-file this only works for already indexed files...
    Didn't notice this before.
    Only if you select more than one file it shows the total size correctly.

I suppose that's gonna be another bug report, although it could be related to that existing one.

Thanks for that ... think I'm starting to lose the plot now I'll go take a walk in the woods...
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Thanks for that ... think I'm starting to lose the plot now I'll go take a walk in the woods...
    I just want to add what the problem actually is: ( I examined this a bit more)
    The information panel uses "ballo_file_extractor" to get the metadata for not-indexed files. This program is in the package baloo-file.

"baloo_file_extractor" (or baloo-file) is actually _not_ needed to get the basic information like size and permissions, but the widget hangs and doesn't show anything if "ballo_file_extractor" cannot be started.
    If I create a dummy "ballo_file_extractor" script in /usr/bin/, showing the filesize, permission, and so on does work fine even with baloo-file uninstalled.

The bug in this case is, that the widget starts "ballo_file_extractor" (to get the metadata) without any error checking and waits for an answer (which never comes if it cannot be started) without any timeout.
    At least this should be easily fixable. I guess I could create a patch in 5 minutes...

PS: It's called "baloo_file_extractor" of course, not "ballo...", sorry.

I filed a bug report:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335087

I'm going to even propose a bug fix myself for that in a few days, if there's no reaction before.

I propose a name change for Baloo:

Bugaloo

PS: It's called "baloo_file_extractor" of course, not "ballo...", sorry.

I filed a bug report:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335087

I'm going to even propose a bug fix myself for that in a few days, if there's no reaction before.
    Well done that man!!
    Regards, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon32 View Post
    I propose a name change for Baloo:

Bugaloo

Hmm... which could be accused of creating (allegedly) rather a Hullabaloo ...
    Regards, Paul

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast