Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104

Thread: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,370

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    That behaviour was reported back in March '14 ... Still present, think it's 'low priority'

    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332610
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20200118) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  2. #92

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon32 View Post
    I noticed the the panel would sometimes have duplicate entries which would disappear after a couple of seconds, checking configure for the panel shows duplicate entries.

    Wolfi, I've posted a bug report over at KDE - can you confirm this behaviour is happening for you ?
    IIRC this was already mentioned in this thread somewhere...

    Yes, I see that too.
    What I think is happening is that if you move the mouse while the information is fetched, you may trigger a second (or third and so on) fetch, which causes then duplicate (or triplicate) entries.

    Haven't noticed until now that the configuration dialog also has duplicates. I would think this has a similar cause, but it seems to be more consistent.

    Well, I'm sure we will get this fixed as well...

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    IIRC this was already mentioned in this thread somewhere...

    Yes, I see that too.
    What I think is happening is that if you move the mouse while the information is fetched, you may trigger a second (or third and so on) fetch, which causes then duplicate (or triplicate) entries.

    Haven't noticed until now that the configuration dialog also has duplicates. I would think this has a similar cause, but it seems to be more consistent.

    Well, I'm sure we will get this fixed as well...
    Thanks for the feedback so I can eliminate that I've got double vision from too much beer

    Didn't Vishesh mention somewhere that he is running two code paths so I would assume both code paths (indexed and none indexed) are exposing their settings in the configure panel ?

  4. #94

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon32 View Post
    Didn't Vishesh mention somewhere that he is running two code paths so I would assume both code paths (indexed and none indexed) are exposing their settings in the configure panel ?
    Hm. Definitely not for the metadata display, maybe for the config dialog. I'll have to look at the code to say more.

    But on second thought, it seems to me that the general options for the file type (f.e. Width and Height for pictures) are added unconditionally, and then in a second run options for all "tags" that are actually present in the current file are added as well. So those "tags" that are actually present in the file are duplicated in the config dialog.
    Probably the easiest way to fix both problems (i.e. metadata display and config dialog) is to filter out duplicates, or just don't add an item if it already exists (or replace the existing one).

    The main problem with those different code paths is to choose the right one in all situations, not that both are run.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Jul-2014 at 03:49.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    195

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Hm. Definitely not for the metadata display, maybe for the config dialog. I'll have to look at the code to say more.

    But on second thought, it seems to me that the general options for the file type (f.e. Width and Height for pictures) are added unconditionally, and then in a second run options for all "tags" that are actually present in the current file are added as well. So those "tags" that are actually present in the file are duplicated in the config dialog.
    Probably the easiest way to fix both problems (i.e. metadata display and config dialog) is to filter out duplicates, or just don't add an item if it already exists (or replace the existing one).

    The main problem with those different code paths is to choose the right one in all situations, not that both are run.
    Thanks for that Wolfi, understand the issue now.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    I have KDE 4.13.3 installed, and the metadata information panel is not showing up for .flac and .mp3 files. I have Baloo disabled. How can I get the panel to come back?

  7. #97

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
    I have KDE 4.13.3 installed, and the metadata information panel is not showing up for .flac and .mp3 files. I have Baloo disabled. How can I get the panel to come back?
    It works fine here with mp3s, I don't have any FLAC files handy to check at the moment.

    What do you actually mean with "the metadata information panel is not showing up"?
    Is it not shown at all?
    Does it only show the basic file information (like type and size), but no metadata?
    Does it work for other files?
    Do you have baloo-file installed?

    It uses libtag1 for getting metadata of sound files, so check whether this is installed (and libtag-extras1, but that should not be needed for MP3 and FLAC).
    Normally libtag1 should be installed though, as the package "kfilemetadata" requires it.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Aug-2014 at 00:00.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It works fine here with mp3s, I don't have any FLAC files handy to check at the moment.

    What do you actually mean with "the metadata information panel is not showing up"?
    Is it not shown at all?
    Does it only show the basic file information (like type and size), but no metadata?
    Does it work for other files?
    Do you have baloo-file installed?

    It uses libtag1 for getting metadata of sound files, so check whether this is installed (and libtag-extras1, but that should not be needed for MP3 and FLAC).
    Normally libtag1 should be installed though, as the package "kfilemetadata" requires it.
    When I right click on a .mp3 or .flac file, there's no metadata tab shown. The only two tabs I have are General and Permissions, and it does show file types and sizes. baloo-file, libtag1, and kfilemetadata are installed. I also have baloo disabled because I don't need it.

  9. #99

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Quote Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
    When I right click on a .mp3 or .flac file, there's no metadata tab shown. The only two tabs I have are General and Permissions, and it does show file types and sizes.
    Right, that got removed in KDE 4.12.
    And not only for MP3 and FLAC, but completely.

    See also https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324879, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

    If you want it back, install kdelibs4 and libkde4 from here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit.../KDE:/Current/

    This thread was/is about _dolphin_'s information panel though.
    The missing "Information" tab in the properties window is totally unrelated to Baloo anyway.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Aug-2014 at 02:16.

  10. #100

    Default Re: KDE 4.13.1 Dolphin Information Panel, No Meta Data

    Sorry for jumping in here -- I found this thread looking for why the properties dialog does not display any metadata anymore. In KDE3, the properties dialog displayed both a preview and metadata for a file. Where possible, it let you edit the metadata, e.g. exif comment field for jpegs. It even had a detailed listview displaying metadata for many files at once, with in-place editing. And all that even worked for remote files through KIO. I'm really, really missing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No.
    KDE3 didn't have any tagging/rating/commenting of files, and no indexer (well, there was beagle, but that wasn't really a KDE thing).

    With "properties" you mean the "file properties" dialog, i.e. what you get when you select "Properties" in the right-click context menu? Well, that one got removed in October because tannington (I think) filed a bug report that it is buggy. And porting it to NepomukV2 (or Baloo) was/is not allowed, as it is part of kdelibs.
    It is still available in KDE 4.11 as shipped in openSUSE 13.1 though.
    While KDE3 didn't have tagging and rating, its metadata facility was waaay better that anything available now.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •