Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,667
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    I did a "zypper dup" this morning.

    I just tried to login to Gnome, and I get the "Something has gone wrong" screen.

    The "zypper dup" downgraded several packages to those for 3.10. As best I recall, they were all "gtk3" related. I'm guessing that's the cause of the problem.

    I did a search for "gtk3" in Yast Software Management, and attempted to upgrade those 3.10 packages back to 3.12, but got a chain of dependency conflicts. (I could probably tell it to ignore the conflicts for Vietnamese language, and maybe that would then work).

    I'm guessing that something went wrong with the dependency lists.

    Note that I mainly use KDE, so this is not a critical problem for me.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I did a "zypper dup" this morning.

    I just tried to login to Gnome, and I get the "Something has gone wrong" screen.

    The "zypper dup" downgraded several packages to those for 3.10. As best I recall, they were all "gtk3" related. I'm guessing that's the cause of the problem.

    I did a search for "gtk3" in Yast Software Management, and attempted to upgrade those 3.10 packages back to 3.12, but got a chain of dependency conflicts. (I could probably tell it to ignore the conflicts for Vietnamese language, and maybe that would then work).

    I'm guessing that something went wrong with the dependency lists.

    Note that I mainly use KDE, so this is not a critical problem for me.
    Bear in mind I'm on Tumbleweed KDE and ok here, where my system is showing these installed today from these repos:
    Code:
    2014-05-16 10:30:26|install|gtk3-data|3.10.4-12.1|noarch||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    ...
    2014-05-16 10:30:29|install|gtk3-immodule-amharic|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:30|install|gtk3-immodule-inuktitut|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:30|install|gtk3-immodule-thai|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:31|install|gtk3-immodule-vietnamese|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    From YaST, the last four require "gtk3 = 3.10.4" and "gtk3-tools" which happens to be at 3.12

    HTH in some way.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,667
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Bear in mind I'm on Tumbleweed KDE and ok here, where my system is showing these installed today from these repos:
    Code:
    2014-05-16 10:30:26|install|gtk3-data|3.10.4-12.1|noarch||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    ...
    2014-05-16 10:30:29|install|gtk3-immodule-amharic|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:30|install|gtk3-immodule-inuktitut|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:30|install|gtk3-immodule-thai|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    2014-05-16 10:30:31|install|gtk3-immodule-vietnamese|3.10.4-12.1|x86_64||openSUSE Current OSS updates
    From YaST, the last four require "gtk3 = 3.10.4" and "gtk3-tools" which happens to be at 3.12

    HTH in some way.
    Yes, that's about what I am seeing as installed. That 3.10 and 3.12 mix looks wrong, and is probably why Gnome is crashing for me.

    KDE is fine, however.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, that's about what I am seeing as installed. That 3.10 and 3.12 mix looks wrong, and is probably why Gnome is crashing for me.

    KDE is fine, however.
    Yes KDE is fine, and so are e.g. SeaMonkey, Firefox, LO, and Gimp. Interestingly pavucontrol (usually looks like a gtk app) fails to open with following error:
    Code:
    pavucontrol: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgiomm-2.4.so.1: undefined symbol: g_notification_get_type
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, that's about what I am seeing as installed. That 3.10 and 3.12 mix looks wrong, and is probably why Gnome is crashing for me.
    Those packages are back to 3.12 now, and for example the above "pavucontrol" error here has gone, so I hope your "crashes" have ceased.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Yes KDE is fine, and so are e.g. SeaMonkey, Firefox, LO, and Gimp. Interestingly pavucontrol (usually looks like a gtk app) fails to open with following error:
    Code:
    pavucontrol: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgiomm-2.4.so.1: undefined symbol: g_notification_get_type
    Well, SeaMonkey, Firefox, LO, and Gimp all use GTK2, that's why they were not affected. Whereas pavucontrol uses GTK3.

    IIRC, the exactly same problem existed about a year ago, when GNOME was upgraded to 3.10 in Tumbleweed. Probably branding-related again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,667
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Those packages are back to 3.12 now, and for example the above "pavucontrol" error here has gone, so I hope your "crashes" have ceased.
    I'm running "zypper dup" right now. I'll check when that is done.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, SeaMonkey, Firefox, LO, and Gimp all use GTK2, that's why they were not affected. Whereas pavucontrol uses GTK3.

    IIRC, the exactly same problem existed about a year ago, when GNOME was upgraded to 3.10 in Tumbleweed. Probably branding-related again.
    I thought they might be GTK2, but didn't realize pavucontrol was different. Now after a more careful look I see it has the flatter, cleaner style of GTK3 .

    Oh yes, branding continues to flip-flop.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,667
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Those packages are back to 3.12 now, and for example the above "pavucontrol" error here has gone, so I hope your "crashes" have ceased.
    After running updates ("zypper dup") this morning, I rechecked. And the "gtk3" stuff was still at version 3.10.

    So I didn't bother to try Gnome.

    Instead, I changed the Tumbleweed and Packman-Tumbleweed repos to priority 98. Then I did "zypper dup" again. There were 96 changes made, due to that repo priority change.

    After that, the "gtk3" packages looked good. So I tried Gnome, and it is now fine.

    Maybe those priority changes need to be in the documentation for Tumbleweed.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Gnome 3 broken (Tumbleweed)?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Maybe those priority changes need to be in the documentation for Tumbleweed.
    Yes, maybe.
    But consused already critizised me for advising this last year...

    You could switch to the GTK/GNOME upstream branding instead of the openSUSE one. That's the Tumbleweed maintainer's advice by the way.
    This should work with equal priorities. AFAICS the problem is mainly related to gio-branding, so install gio-branding-upstream.

    As I see it, the problem is again that the openSUSE branding packages in Tumbleweed have a _lower_ revision number than in standard 13.1 (and same version, i.e. 13.1). But the 13.1 branding will prevent the upgrade of the libraries (libgio f.e.) to the higher Tumbleweed versions resulting in an incompatible mix.

    Just like it was last year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •