Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel 3.11 update notification while having kernel 3.14

Default Kernel 3.11 update notification while having kernel 3.14

Hello!

I just did a fresh openSuse 13.1 install and after it switched to Tumbleweed immediately. Then I did zypper dup like stated here:

Code:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
    , everything in terminal worked but now I get notifications that there is a kernel update:

Code:
    kernel-desktop-3.11.10-7.1(32 bit) 41,3 MB
    Code:
    Source Timestamp: 2014-02-03 10:41:24 +0100 GIT Revision: 750023e35881c0adaa8df35756c52f64ec4ab190 GIT Branch: openSUSE-13.1
    If I accept the update I get:
    Code:
    There is no update candidate for kernel-desktop-3.14.3-29.1.g07d82b6.i686
    Here is the list of my repos:

Code:
    # | Alias                            | Name                             | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                      | Service--+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | openSUSE:Stable_OSS              | openSUSE:Stable_OSS              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/     |        
    2 | openSUSE:Stable_Updates          | openSUSE:Stable_Updates          | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/openSUSE-current/                    |        
    3 | openSUSE:Stable_non-OSS          | openSUSE:Stable_non-OSS          | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/non-oss/ |        
    4 | openSUSE:Stable_non-OSS__Updates | openSUSE:Stable_non-OSS__Updates | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/openSUSE-non-oss-current/            |        
    5 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed              | openSUSE:Tumbleweed              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/ |
    Now what did I do wrong and what should I do now

Default Re: Kernel 3.11 update notification while having kernel 3.14

Ok - I did zypper up from terminal and it updated the kernel and then zypper up and zypper dup did not update anything. Uname -a gives me that the kernel in use is 3.14. Te question is what kernel was updated?

Quote Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
    Te question is what kernel was updated?
    None.
    You can have more than one kernel installed.
    A "Kernel update" just installs an additional kernel.

Unneeded ones might be removed later on during boot though, by the purge-kernels.service.

And you will continue to see that 3.11 update waiting to go, as I do, but it will not be installed when you zypper dup. It's a known idiosyncrasy of Tumbleweed.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Well zypper up installed it and since then no pop ups. I even had an update with other packages so everything works now.

Well zypper up installed it and since then no pop ups. I even had an update with other packages so everything works now.
    Well it's your system, even though zypper dup is the recommended update method. "Everything works now", so what didn't work before?
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Well it's your system, even though zypper dup is the recommended update method. "Everything works now", so what didn't work before?
    I did zypper dup in the first place. Then I started to get those kernel 3.11 update messages so I did zypper up and they stopped.

On 2014-05-15 16:56, consused wrote:
    >
    > And you will continue to see that 3.11 update waiting to go, as I do,
    > but it will not be installed when you zypper dup. It's a known
    > idiosyncrasy of Tumbleweed.

Doesn't taboo that patch work?

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

I did zypper dup in the first place. Then I started to get those kernel 3.11 update messages so I did zypper up and they stopped.
    Oh, now I see. You regard the kernel "3.11 update messages" as a symptom of "not working". I suppose technically correct, because the scripting that deals with it from 13.1 standard is confused by the different kernel naming by Tumbleweed. So we live with the harmless messages if we don't want to install an old kernel [by Tumbleweed's standards].

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-05-15 16:56, consused wrote:
    >
    > And you will continue to see that 3.11 update waiting to go, as I do,
    > but it will not be installed when you zypper dup. It's a known
    > idiosyncrasy of Tumbleweed.

Doesn't taboo that patch work?
    It didn't work when I tried that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast