Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

  1. #1

    Default Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    Hi all,

    I've had a successfully running Opensuse 12.1 machine for the past 2+ years. I am starting to find that some packages aren't as well supported any more and need to upgrade.

    In the past I've always done a clean install via dvd. These days however I am pressed for time and was considering an update by just changing repositories and doing a upgrade via zypper -dup. Is this a really bad idea? I haven't followed development in Opensuse land for the past 2 years so I don't know how much has changed. Any guidance would be appreciated.

    btw my machine is an Asus A7k laptop.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinto View Post
    In the past I've always done a clean install via dvd. These days however I am pressed for time and was considering an update by just changing repositories and doing a upgrade via zypper -dup. Is this a really bad idea? I haven't followed development in Opensuse land for the past 2 years so I don't know how much has changed. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    I would rather use the NET install CD to do the upgrade, provided that your network connection is supported out of the box of course.
    Or the full DVD, this also provides an option to "Upgrade an existing installation".

    There have been many critical changes between 12.1 and 13.1 that could cause the online upgrade to fail/hang. F.e. the move of most stuff from /bin to /usr/bin/, /lib/ to /usr/lib/, /var/run/ to /run (see also https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=802525 for an upgrade problem that might affect you). And of course you cannot use sysvinit anymore on 13.1, but systemd was used by default on 12.1 already anyway (but it was possible to switch back to sysvinit).
    And it's not supported to skip releases when doing the online upgrade. (this doesn't mean it will not work, but you should expect problems and having to invest time to fix them)

    I cannot even say for sure that the offline upgrade will work flawlessly from 12.1 to 13.1, but you can still do a fresh install afterwards if not.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 14-May-2014 at 13:19.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    On 2014-05-14 22:26, wolfi323 wrote:

    > I would rather use the NET install CD to do the upgrade, provided that
    > your network connection is supported out of the box of course.
    > Or the full DVD, this also provides an option to "Upgrade an existing
    > installation".


    I concur.

    > There have been many critical changes between 12.1 and 13.1 that could
    > cause the online upgrade to fail/hang.


    In fact, the online upgrade (zypper dup) to a version that is not the
    next one, is not supported. And even then, the system has to be fully
    updated prior to attempting the version upgrade.


    > And it's not supported to skip releases when doing the online upgrade.
    > (this doesn't mean it will not work, but you should expect problems and
    > having to invest time to fix them)


    Actually, it should crash. At least, you have to update zypper itself
    (and its toolchain) first.


    > I cannot even say for sure that the offline upgrade will work flawlessly
    > from 12.1 to 13.1, but you can still do a fresh install afterwards if
    > not.


    It is not a road full of roses, but it works. I have done 11.4 to 13.1
    myself.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  4. #4

    Default Re: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    Thanks for the quick response all. DVD upgrade it is then. I will be sure to post how well it works out of the box. I'll be sure to do a proper backup first in case a real install is required

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinto View Post
    Thanks for the quick response all. DVD upgrade it is then. I will be sure to post how well it works out of the box. I'll be sure to do a proper backup first in case a real install is required
    Yes. You should always do that, anyway, before any major work.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Update from 12.1 to 13.1

    On 2014-05-15 00:46, gavinto wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the quick response all. DVD upgrade it is then. I will be
    > sure to post how well it works out of the box. I'll be sure to do a
    > proper backup first in case a real install is required


    Online upgrade
    method

    Offline upgrade
    method


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •